Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

AJC can't stop chasing the ambulance...

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

You literally argue with him about every issue. But you aren’t the problem. Gotcha.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is laughable and false. You must’ve missed a few posts. I have agreed with him before. not many times but there’s been a few. I have missed the ones where you’ve called him out for his bs or other posters that debate back and forth with him too. But I’m not on here everyday. I’m sure there’s some.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't say down in the dirt. Sometimes it's hard to tell when Yale is trolling or being sincere. Either way, the dude has a track record of intentionally offending people and taking an argumentative point of view just because. People are going to react. This is a public forum and that's what we do. We read and write. Maybe instead of warning the people who provide honest and sincere feedback, maybe you should focus a little more attention on posters who consistently stir up drama. I mean, on this thread we literally have 2 active lawyers saying nothing unethical happened, but Yale thinks we are all "s.tupid" and "morons" (his comments were removed, in case anyone missed his recent post).

If we have a regular who is known to "get down in the dirt" (implying someone who tends to stir up trouble), don't you as a Moderator think that might be an issue with the peace and free-flow of ideas and opinions on the forum?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

everyone that isn’t a UGA football fan knows what happened is inappropriate. Y’all just want to act like the university can do no wrong. If this was coming out of Tuscaloosa, you all would be furious

I haven’t warned anyone for anything. As far as I can tell no one has broken any forum rules. You’re free to engage with whomever and however you choose. But if you complain about someone’s opinions that are different than yours, then you share in that and need to admit your own culpability. You are choosing to take offense and choosing to respond.

Why would a moderator need to get involved? If we did, someone would complain we stifle conversation and don’t allow differing or negative opinions. So which is it? You want us to let you guys go at it or do you want us to close the thread? Can’t have it both ways. And as long as it stays mostly respectful I don’t see what the issue is in me pointing out how the same 6-7 posters always tangle with Yale and/or Mike Griffith and wonder why they keep doing the same thing.

edited February 2023

When you as a mod and an official representative of the DN forum tell others to stop getting in the dirt with certain members, it comes off as a warning, or at least counseling... and a defense of the one who instigated the dirt play. It is also a recognition that we have someone in the group who is known to stir things up. Pretty much every time one of these heated controversial topics comes up you tend to focus on the responders, not the instigators. I see no problem with a healthy debate so long as it doesn't descend into name calling...which one member tends to do.

Nobody is complaining about another person's opinions. All I see are people providing constructive feedback (except when Yale called everyone s.tupid morons). Just seems to me that you know that we have a poster who enjoys stirring up controversy. It shouldn't be a surprise when people react. Some of us actually enjoy the mental exercise of a spirited debate.

The instigators are the ones defending such obviously inappropriate behavior from a representative of the football program

I didn’t tell anyone to stop getting in the dirt.

I told them to stop expecting different behavior when they do.

Again, that is on you.

Not me.

It was not meant to be a warning. If you took it as such, again that is on you.

I focus on the responders because you perpetuate the conversation. If you choose to ignore that observation and poke back at the poker, you earn whatever reward comes with that.

That’s all I’m saying. Feel free to continue to engage in your chosen mental exercises. Or don’t. This is the marketplace of ideas here in the off-season.

Much like Stryper said: “You’re free. Free to do what you want to. Choose your own destiny.” You’ve chosen to fight these fights yet expect different results.

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I like how the article outlines that Gantt's job is to be there in these sort of situations, and then also calls into question why he was there. Very constructive reporting."

A fine example of journalism today. Devoid of all intelligent life.

Are y’all really struggling that hard to understand the point being made there?

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

If it is on us…Why even call someone out in the first place. Yale is literally arguing with everyone on here except you and with at least 4 different posters since you so graciously called me out for engaging with him. which you explained later is ok to do if you want too. So confusing. He is also now dragging out a thread that could die as you blamed on me earlier. But I guess that’s ok for him. You’ve called me out before in some debates with Yale so I know how you feel about me responding to him. Got it Loud and clear. But fair warning and since it is ok it Doesn’t mean I won’t respond to him again though.

He’s not defending a football staffer getting guaranteed access to responding officers at the scene of a fatal car crash from the chief of police. Seriously, why do y’all consider that an ok thing to do? So many conflicts of interest going on there

I can tell you have never been in a leadership position within a large public organization. That's not a personal criticism, but sometimes big organizations will have agreements with LEOs. In the military, pretty much all major commands have direct access to local LEOs. A lot of times LEOs prefer unit leadership representatives to be on site to assist with investigations and sometimes to avoid potential unnecessary media attention. We often had agreements, or at least understandings with local PDs and Sheriffs, that if something happened with a person who identified as member of a particular military unit that the unit would be contacted. Every military command has people standing duty every day and night to answer the phone. As a unit commander I used to get calls in the middle of the night almost weekly about Marines getting in trouble out in town.

Just letting you know that these kinds or relationships do exist. Keep in mind that LEOs and investigators are incredibly busy people. They really don't like having to go full-speed on every situation. Having understandings with certain large organizations like the military and major universities helps to keep the workload down.

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In case you missed it, I was very targeted in my quote selection and agree with the total disconnect K_y_e highlighted. The general laziness and intellectual dishonesty within the profession of journalism is there for everyone to see. That doesn't mean all reporters fall into that category, but there's a reason people are struggling to trust them these days.

edited February 2023

I’ve worked for both UGA and Yale. It is not the norm to have direct access to officers on scene performing the initial investigation into a fatal car crash. This is nowhere near the same as the police calling a military base to pick up some drunk enlisted servicemen. The parallel would be some NCO being on site for a fatal event involving service members and talking with the responding officers after getting guaranteed access to them from the chief of police.

edit: I’d also be wary of any agreement between large organizations and the police. They should be serving the public not powerful interests

This discussion has been closed.