Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN's FPI....Are you kidding me?!

Comments

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh the comments I could make about ESPN. Most of them would get me banned so let's just say I think they are useless to the point of being pathetic.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    I try not to get hung up on irrelevant rankings too much....certainly the AP and Coaches poll have their flaws and biases. But with Georgia's relevancy in the playoff discussion this year, I'm certainly more sensitive to the discussion of rankings this year. That's why I continue to bristle at the reference to ESPN's FPI rankings in this debate. Over the course of last weekend's games (Thurs through Sat.) I saw the side-by-side comparison graphic of the committee's Top 5 with the FPI Top 5 on no less than four different game broadcasts. This wouldn't be so troubling, if the FPI wasn't so bizarre in its rankings...having Georgia at number 5 behind one-loss Ohio State (2) and Penn State (3) last week. Out of curiosity, I just checked out the FPI rankings AFTER this weekend's games...

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Georgia (down one spot)

I guess that the FPI is a model, that uses a ton of game simulations based on actual and projected results...but it seems more like the rankings of an old man living in a basement in Youngstown, Ohio. He doesn't actually follow college football, but did read the sports page over the course of a few weeks last December..... Weird.

The bias seen here for ND, OSU, and PSU is why I believe a one loss Georgia will not make the playoff. We will have to win out to overcome the bias.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    I try not to get hung up on irrelevant rankings too much....certainly the AP and Coaches poll have their flaws and biases. But with Georgia's relevancy in the playoff discussion this year, I'm certainly more sensitive to the discussion of rankings this year. That's why I continue to bristle at the reference to ESPN's FPI rankings in this debate. Over the course of last weekend's games (Thurs through Sat.) I saw the side-by-side comparison graphic of the committee's Top 5 with the FPI Top 5 on no less than four different game broadcasts. This wouldn't be so troubling, if the FPI wasn't so bizarre in its rankings...having Georgia at number 5 behind one-loss Ohio State (2) and Penn State (3) last week. Out of curiosity, I just checked out the FPI rankings AFTER this weekend's games...

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

I guess that the FPI is a model, that uses a ton of game simulations based on actual and projected results...but it seems more like the rankings of an old man living in a basement in Youngstown, Ohio. He doesn't actually follow college football, but did read the sports page over the course of a few weeks last December..... Weird.

The bias seen here for ND, OSU, and PSU is why I believe a one loss Georgia will not make the playoff. We will have to win out to overcome the bias.

Assuming that ND wins out which is in doubt they will be #2. Are you saying that they could justify taking OSU who has no good wins and losses to OKL and Iowa over a 1 loss UGA who lost to #1 but beat #2 even if OSU is a conf champ? PSU will have 2 losses and no good wins. I would like to watch the chairman's nose growing on national TV

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

Assuming that ND wins out which is in doubt they will be #2. Are you saying that they could justify taking OSU who has no good wins and losses to OKL and Iowa over a 1 loss UGA who lost to #1 but beat #2 even if OSU is a conf champ? PSU will have 2 losses and no good wins. I would like to watch the chairman's nose growing on national TV

I'm saying I've seen it before with poll voters doing insane things. The buzz for Georgia is weak in the media. The playoff committee does things for competitive and non competitive reasons. Since the media will find a way to justify one of the traditional northern teams being in the playoff, the chairman will not really have to justify anything.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,883 mod

If Notre Dame and Clemson go without losing again, they are both getting in. If Wisconsin is undefeated and Big 10 champs, they are getting in. It's gonna be interesting, but they have to play these games

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,883 mod

I can’t see Wisconsin going undefeated but if they are undefeated I think they will have earned a way in, but they better hope for chaos just in case

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

Don’t misunderstand me, I want us to TAKE the spot in the playoffs, but should we lose to AU, UK OR GT, have one loss but still win the SECCG, we are definitely in, jmo. ESPN has invested very heavily in the SEC and don’t think for a minute that ESPN is not a “major” player in this process, whoever wins the SECCG will get in.

• Options

@Lefty said:

@Kasey said:
    If Notre Dame and Clemson go without losing again, they are both getting in. If Wisconsin is undefeated and Big 10 champs, they are getting in. It's gonna be interesting, but they have to play these games

If Notre Dame wins out they will probably be in, the reason I say probably is because they won't go in in in front of the Dawgs if we were to lose to Bama in the SECCG. I don't believe Wisconsin gets in period.

IF Wisc wins out their best win will be v a 3 (or 4) loss East Champ and 0 wins v top 20. Doubtful it's enough.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@amjadawgs said:

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

Don’t misunderstand me, I want us to TAKE the spot in the playoffs, but should we lose to AU, UK OR GT, have one loss but still win the SECCG, we are definitely in, jmo. ESPN has invested very heavily in the SEC and don’t think for a minute that ESPN is not a “major” player in this process, whoever wins the SECCG will get in.

Completely agree. We win the SECC, we're in...just a matter of the seed at that point (if we already have one loss). But, if we lose the SECC game, all bets are off. No matter what is being said now, the committee will very much want avoid selecting two teams from the same conference....even if it requires a little finessing. Frankly, all they will need to say is that they put a high premium on conference championships (one of the stated criteria) when comparing similar teams....and UGA's lack of championship put them behind...____ (every other one-loss or undefeated conference champion).

• Options

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@amjadawgs said:

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

Completely agree. We win the SECC, we're in...just a matter of the seed at that point (if we already have one loss). But, if we lose the SECC game, all bets are off. No matter what is being said now, the committee will very much want avoid selecting two teams from the same conference....even if it requires a little finessing. Frankly, all they will need to say is that they put a high premium on conference championships (one of the stated criteria) when comparing similar teams....and UGA's lack of championship put them behind...____ (every other one-loss or undefeated conference champion).

I totally agree with the first part and maybe you're right on the second but it IMO would make a farce of the "best 4 teams" after taking OSU over PSU last year. It would say that only these 6 teams need apply and nobody else has a fair shake.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Norte Dame out of the playoffs with 1 loss? Probably not, but just curious, as they’ll get out of playing in a tough conference championship game. Everyone keeps mentioning conference championships in this thread, while they’ll get to conveniently not play in one.

• Options

@Teddy said:
    Is Norte Dame out of the playoffs with 1 loss? Probably not, but just curious, as they’ll get out of playing in a tough conference championship game. Everyone keeps mentioning conference championships in this thread, while they’ll get to conveniently not play in one.

True, but ND will be in. Brand, geography, national audience, politics (basically all of the unstated criteria of the committee), all say yes to ND. Football arguments will be based on strength of record, they won ten games in a row, one of the "hottest" teams, one close "good" loss, beat x number of ranked teams, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do think one-loss ND would be a worthy playoff team, above several other potential conference champions...but so would a one-loss Georgia.

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@amjadawgs said:

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

I totally agree with the first part and maybe you're right on the second but it IMO would make a farce of the "best 4 teams" after taking OSU over PSU last year. It would say that only these 6 teams need apply and nobody else has a fair shake.

Yeah, but with OSU and PSU last year, all the committee had to do was say "not comparable" resumes (PSU had 2 losses (one blow-out and one not-very-good), while OSU only had 1 loss).

Re the what-ifs, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do have to give you credit, @Denmen185, for predicting the 2 loss mess in the Big Ten East! At the end of the day, I believe the committee will select these teams ahead of one-loss, non-championship UGA:

Undefeated Bama (obviously)
    One-loss ACC champ (Clemson or Miami)
    One-loss Big 12 champ (Oklahoma or TCU)
    Undefeated Big 10 champ (Wisconsin)
    One-loss Notre Dame

Think one-loss, non-champ Georgia gets in ahead of these teams:

One-loss Pac 12 champ (Washington)
    Two-loss ND
    Two-loss ACC champ
    One-loss Big 10 champ Wiscy
    Two-loss Big 10 champ (watch out for MSU flying up the rankings!)
    Two-loss Big 12 champ

• Options

@Teddy said:

The Big 12 could regret the Champ Game they added as OKL v TCU could be repeated and if split they are done. The "tough" championship games are likely only tough in the SEC and ACC. B1GE will be a 2 or more loss team and if MSU a team that lost to ND. The PAC 12 South team is likely USC who got beaten down by ND and if ND beats Miami how does Clem pass them even with a win. A Miami ACC Champ would also have a loss to ND in that scenario. I am not a ND fan and think that they are always way over-rated but honestly how do you leave them out if they run the table with the number of Conf contenders that they have or will have beaten.

• Options

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@amjadawgs said:

@JayDog said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State (still!?)
    3. Penn State (****??)
    4. Washington (huh?)
    5. Notre Dame

Yeah, but with OSU and PSU last year, all the committee had to do was say "not comparable" resumes (PSU had 2 losses (one blow-out and one not-very-good), while OSU only had 1 loss).

Re the what-ifs, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do have to give you credit, @Denmen185, for predicting the 2 loss mess in the Big Ten East! At the end of the day, I believe the committee will select these teams ahead of one-loss, non-championship UGA:

Undefeated Bama (obviously)
    One-loss ACC champ (Clemson or Miami)
    One-loss Big 12 champ (Oklahoma or TCU)
    Undefeated Big 10 champ (Wisconsin)
    One-loss Notre Dame

Think one-loss, non-champ Georgia gets in ahead of these teams:

One-loss Pac 12 champ (Washington)
    Two-loss ND
    Two-loss ACC champ
    One-loss Big 10 champ Wiscy
    Two-loss Big 10 champ (watch out for MSU flying up the rankings!)
    Two-loss Big 12 champ

Agreed. I am thinking that:

Bama in if they beat us (as you say obviously) - 90% (pretty much the only way that Bama can be our only loss)
    1 loss Clem in but if 1 loss Miami with loss to ND I think UGA above Miami ACC champ above UGA = 70% chance of occurring.
    Wisc winning out is less than 25% chance
    ND chance of winning out 35%
    Chances that OU and TCU winner doesn't win out is around 50%

Overall chance of 3 of those (other than Bama) happening is around 31%

UGA 13-0 IN
    A loss to Auburn and winning SECCG is 100% UGA IN.
    12-1 with loss to Bama 70% IN

Let's just run the table and be done with it :D

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If ND and CU win out their in. But just like tonight on SEC country, I don't think Wisky gets in without some help, undefeated or not. They've played nobody. Sorry, correction they do get a ranked Iowa this week. But say AU won out and won the SEC; God forbid. I agree with Pollack and Herb that a 2 loss SEC team that had AU's body of work and SOS gets in ahead of Wisky. But the ND-UM game will either knock 1 out or if the U wins they still have to deal with CU. We just need to do us, and keep choppin wood. Bama's depleted at LB (experience wise) like I haven't seen since CNS arrived. Still don't know how bad Minkah's hurt either.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

@Teddy said:

The Big 12 could regret the Champ Game they added as OKL v TCU could be repeated and if split they are done. The "tough" championship games are likely only tough in the SEC and ACC. B1GE will be a 2 or more loss team and if MSU a team that lost to ND. The PAC 12 South team is likely USC who got beaten down by ND and if ND beats Miami how does Clem pass them even with a win. A Miami ACC Champ would also have a loss to ND in that scenario. I am not a ND fan and think that they are always way over-rated but honestly how do you leave them out if they run the table with the number of Conf contenders that they have or will have beaten.

Sorry, I meant to say with one more loss, not one loss total. Basically if ND loses one more, not having that conference title game may hurt. And you may say that most conference games aren’t that tough, but it’s another chance to lose to a solid top 25 team generally. One that ND gets to avoid every year... I think they need to finally join a conference, not fair to others out there. If UGA was an independent right now, they’d be a lock for the playoffs if they won 2 of their next 3 games. Wouldn’t that be nice to say? Although, I don’t mind taking a shot at Bama. Just throwing the scenario out there of how it’s nice to be an independent with no conference title game.

• Options

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@Teddy said:

True, but ND will be in. Brand, geography, national audience, politics (basically all of the unstated criteria of the committee), all say yes to ND. Football arguments will be based on strength of record, they won ten games in a row, one of the "hottest" teams, one close "good" loss, beat x number of ranked teams, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do think one-loss ND would be a worthy playoff team, above several other potential conference champions...but so would a one-loss Georgia.

All of the above reasons for ND to be in make me skeptical we'll get a fair shake with one loss. I know what it appears the likelihood is--that we'll get in if we win the SECC. But we are going on people's opinions--not conference championships. There are a lot of variables affecting opinions. What if ND loses to Miami? According to the committee, our win against them is why we are #1. Where are we then? Number two? If we lose to Auburn and ND loses, what will their opinion of our SOS be then? I think we'd be worthy of the playoff with one loss--I just know there are no guarantees.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2017

If we beat a #10 Auburn on the road, beat UK/GT, and then lose to Bama in the SECCG, we still get in assuming Bama is undefeated and the SEC champs. If that game is close I doubt we fall out of the CFP.

Even if Oklahoma and Clemson win out, they both have bad losses to unranked teams.

Our only loss would be to Bama in the conference championship game.

Two top 10 road wins in ND and Auburn plus a close loss in the SECCG puts us in the CFP.

Wisconsin and Miami have a loss coming IMO. If Wisconsin's only loss is in the conference championship game, our schedule and OOC games put us above them. Miami doesn't pass the eye test IMO, and I doubt they will be in the running considering they are underwhelming even though winning.

Edit: Let me add how lucky we are that OSU and PSU lost last weekend, especially the way OSU lost (absolute devastation, and couldn't come at a better for us considering JT Barrett was then being discussed as the Heisman frontrunner yet threw 4 INT in that game).

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Auburn loses to us and Bama, they will no longer be top 10, would be lucky to be top 20 with 4 losses.