Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Matt Corral flips to Ole Miss

13»

Comments

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    I wonder why Corral stayed away from LSU? I just checked their QB depth chart. Myles Brennan would have been Corral’s big competition for playing time. Brennan was a freshman last year who barely played behind LSU’s not so good starting senior QB, Etling. And Brennan’s 247 ranking composite was 0.93. Compared with Corral’s 0.97.

My only guess is Corral wanted some place where they had almost zero choice but to play him.

Never know. He could come in and be the next BO Wallace - Bamas kryptonite. Time will tell

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:
    I wonder why Corral stayed away from LSU? I just checked their QB depth chart. Myles Brennan would have been Corral’s big competition for playing time. Brennan was a freshman last year who barely played behind LSU’s not so good starting senior QB, Etling. And Brennan’s 247 ranking composite was 0.93. Compared with Corral’s 0.97.

My only guess is Corral wanted some place where they had almost zero choice but to play him.

I don't think LSU was interested. They focused on Fields & the four star QB from Alabama we were after in the summer

Too bad. I think he could have helped them.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:

I don't think LSU was interested. They focused on Fields & the four star QB from Alabama we were after in the summer

Yeah, I do imagine tiger is right. But it’s just kind of shocking that here you got a kid who can really throw the ball. But rather than use him, everybody’s determined to go the fashionable running QB route. Even if you don’t have a QB who can run the offense as well as Corral could run the type of offense he’s suited for.

I just believe in using what you have. And if there’s a kid like Corral available, you use him.

And if you know what you’re doing, going against the wind pays some dividends. Everyone’s chasing the running QB’s. That makes the pocket passers easier to come by. But the thing about going against the wind I should you gotta know what you’re doing. The millions of dollars these coaches are paid, I expect them to know what they’re doing and not be afraid of going against the wind.

It’s just amusing to me how LSU can be such a good football school. But so rarely have a good QB. I think UGA’s reject, Mettenberger was the last guy they had that was good.

But I also believe with the right coach, Ole Miss could be back faster than some people in this thread think. Chances of Corral winning a national championship are a lot slimmer than at some of these other schools. But I feel like a lot of recruits place to much emphasis on that. And by Corral’s junior season, Ole Miss very well could start to be relevant again.

After all, Richt made the really struggling Miami school relevant again in his 2nd year back there. And he did it with a 3* QB in his pass heavy offensive scheme. Whoever’s coaching Corral in his junior year will be trying to do something similar with a near 5* quarterback.

• Options

@levander said:

@donm said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:

Yeah, I do imagine tiger is right. But it’s just kind of shocking that here you got a kid who can really throw the ball. But rather than use him, everybody’s determined to go the fashionable running QB route. Even if you don’t have a QB who can run the offense as well as Corral could run the type of offense he’s suited for.

I just believe in using what you have. And if there’s a kid like Corral available, you use him.

And if you know what you’re doing, going against the wind pays some dividends. Everyone’s chasing the running QB’s. That makes the pocket passers easier to come by. But the thing about going against the wind I should you gotta know what you’re doing. The millions of dollars these coaches are paid, I expect them to know what they’re doing and not be afraid of going against the wind.

It’s just amusing to me how LSU can be such a good football school. But so rarely have a good QB. I think UGA’s reject, Mettenberger was the last guy they had that was good.

But I also believe with the right coach, Ole Miss could be back faster than some people in this thread think. Chances of Corral winning a national championship are a lot slimmer than at some of these other schools. But I feel like a lot of recruits place to much emphasis on that. And by Corral’s junior season, Ole Miss very well could start to be relevant again.

After all, Richt made the really struggling Miami school relevant again in his 2nd year back there. And he did it with a 3* QB in his pass heavy offensive scheme. Whoever’s coaching Corral in his junior year will be trying to do something similar with a near 5* quarterback.

I think it should be mentioned that UGA had no problem's with Mettenberger's FB ability. It was his behavior on spring break that broke the eggs.

• Options
    bobbypiperbobbypiper Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Think about being a fan of a school and have a 5 star player decommit and then commit to a school on probation. Couldn't imagine that happening to our Dawgs!

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@levander said:

@donm said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:

I think it should be mentioned that UGA had no problem's with Mettenberger's FB ability. It was his behavior on spring break that broke the eggs.

Or at any bar he went to...

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Or at any bar he went to...

I think the problem started when he flat out lied to Richt face. Like Richt wasn’t going to find out what happened.

• Options

Had to be hard for Richt. Didn't Met's mom work in the FB office?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm yes she did work for the athletic department