Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As good as this class will be......

jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

We still need major help on the D-Line!! Specifically D-tackle. Am I the only one concerned about our D-Line and feel like we are desperate to get Sandidge? Here is our dtackle classes the past few years. 2016-3, 2017- 1, 2018- ....potentially two projects in Walthour(which he might not even qualify) and Davis(which he might be a better offensive tackle than a d-lineman). I feel like we have to get Sandidge but he is highly predicted to the ****....

Comments

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watch walthours tape. Hes gonna be a force. Davis is very athletic on his but needs to get stronger. And we have Wyatt in this class

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jtdawg2020 said:
    We still need major help on the D-Line!! Specifically D-tackle. Am I the only one concerned about our D-Line and feel like we are desperate to get Sandidge? Here is our dtackle classes the past few years. 2016-3, 2017- 1, 2018- ....potentially two projects in Walthour(which he might not even qualify) and Davis(which he might be a better offensive tackle than a d-lineman). I feel like we have to get Sandidge but he is highly predicted to the ****....

You left out Devonte Wyatt. I do agree that after Tyson Campbell Rick Sandidge is the next most important recruit. A class with Wyatt, Sandidge and Davis would not be to bad.

• Options
    jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well if we are counting Wyatt as this years class then we had 0 dtackles last year

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Devonte Wyatt counts as a 2018 recruit.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not concerned.
    Our DL coach thinks Wyatt will be great, he has amazing speed for a 305lb guy.
    We likely miss on Sandidge but keep Davis and Walthour. If Walthour goes the JC route it won't hurt either the team or him. So we get a more mature version next year, no problem.

• Options
    godawgs17godawgs17 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

I trust Kirby and if Wyatt is the only one we get this year I’m fine with that. Clark Marshall Rochester Carter will be another year under Scott and will all be underclassmen. I’m sure we have our eyes on couple elite defensive linemen for the 2018 cycle

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I'm not concerned.
    We likely miss on Sandidge but keep Davis and Walthour. If Walthour goes the JC route it won't hurt either the team or him. So we get a more mature version next year, no problem.

You think Walthour has a guaranteed spot next year if he doesn’t qualify? Not saying he doesn’t, but if they get who they want of the tru19 guys on DLine he might lose his spot.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:
    I'm not concerned.

You think Walthour has a guaranteed spot next year if he doesn’t qualify? Not saying he doesn’t, but if they get who they want of the tru19 guys on DLine he might lose his spot.

If he goes JC he won't have any official connection to UGA and either party could choose to go another way. If we place him, we'll be obligated to take him.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:
    I'm not concerned.

If he goes JC he won't have any official connection to UGA and either party could choose to go another way. If we place him, we'll be obligated to take him.

If we place him, I don't believe that obligates us to him in any way, other than "ethically/morally" and, even then, I can see him being told he's a "free agent" if we find someone we like better.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone thing that one of our highly recruited O-linemen will eventually switch to the D-line?

Asking for a friend.....

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    Does anyone thing that one of our highly recruited O-linemen will eventually switch to the D-line?

Asking for a friend.....

I don't.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll be fine at DT this year. Hopefully we land some studs on the d line in 2019 though. If we don't, I might start to get a bit worried.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:
    I'm not concerned.

If we place him, I don't believe that obligates us to him in any way, other than "ethically/morally" and, even then, I can see him being told he's a "free agent" if we find someone we like better.

It appears Kirby as different ideas on these things than Richt did while at UGA.
    The only committed players who didn't sign during the early period were all 3 star guys. Tell me that was just a coincidence.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

Asking for a friend.....

I would wait till after Spring practice. Position changes normally happen after Spring or during Summer. I'd imagine during Spring to see how they perform during the G-Day Game.

• Options

My apologies to those who have been posting how thin we are on the interior DL, I hadn't really taken a close look.
    We will only have 4 experienced veterans in 2018, and 1 of them is a NT.
    Holy mother of pearl this really could be an issue. Wyatt at least has a year in JC and he's already on campus.
    We lose Hawkins-Muckle after this season plus whoever might leave early.
    We have Michael Barnett but it seems like he moved to the OL, but it's just 1 step back to the defensive side of the LOS.
    We only have Jonathan Ledbetter, Justin Young and Keyon Brown listed as DEs, only David Marshall is in that hybrid area of 270lb/280lb at LB, so it's really thin.
    I'm guessing Kirby goes after the best DTs in junior college for the 2019 class, we'll need them.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    My apologies to those who have been posting how thin we are on the interior DL, I hadn't really taken a close look.
    We will only have 4 experienced veterans in 2018, and 1 of them is a NT.
    Holy mother of pearl this really could be an issue. Wyatt at least has a year in JC and he's already on campus.
    We lose Hawkins-Muckle after this season plus whoever might leave early.
    We have Michael Barnett but it seems like he moved to the OL, but it's just 1 step back to the defensive side of the LOS.
    We only have Jonathan Ledbetter, Justin Young and Keyon Brown listed as DEs, only David Marshall is in that hybrid area of 270lb/280lb at LB, so it's really thin.
    I'm guessing Kirby goes after the best DTs in junior college for the 2019 class, we'll need them.

Yeah, I've mentioned this several times. I think we'll be fine on the DE/DT types, but we really need that big bodied NG type player. Banking on Wyatt and not too many others is rolling the dice a little too much for me. Especially if we have to go through Bama, who would exploit that match up with their elite oline. That's why I think we close with Davis and Walthour, as two of the four remaining signees. We need the big bodies up front. Although, I wouldn't necessarily go the juco route in 2019 if we can get a young beast that will be with us 3-4 years., and will also depend on how Wyatt and Davis pan out.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the front 3 2018 we have:
    Soph - Wyatt, Herring, Beal (?)
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)
    SR - Ledbetter, Hawkins-Muckle.

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

Asking for a friend.....

No. Usually works the other way around. DL to OL.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

• Options

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

We're fine at OLB/DE, we can't really lump in those positions with the interior where it takes 300lb guys though.
    The true interior players we'll have are..
    Hawkins-Muckle. The only dedicated NT
    Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

That leaves us with just a 2 deep rotation at DT and having to use one of them to sub at NT, that is razor thin unless Davis or Walthour is ready.