Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As good as this class will be......

Comments

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Denmen185 said:
    The 2017 Depth chart shows
    NT - Atkins, Rochester
    LE - Thompson, Clark
    RE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Carter.

2018 (AJC proj) shows
    NT - Rochester, Wyatt
    DT - Clark, Herring
    DE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Cox

This does not include Barnett (DT), Hawkins-Muckle (NT/DT), Young (DE) or Young (DE).

The thing to understand is that the interior line is NOT 1 DE, 2 DT and 1 NT. that's 4 and we only ever played 3 (3-4 D) last year. 5 man front was 3 DL and 2 OLB or when we dropped to 4 man front it was 3 DL and 1 OLB. You either include the DE in your 3 man rotation or if you exclude the DE the DT/NT is a 2 man rotation.

NT - Rochester, Wyatt is the part that's worrying some folks (Hawkins-Muckle can be thrown in there to complete the 3 deep). Hawkins-Muckle is a senior who has contributed just a little his first 3 years, Rochester is a junior and could leave early with a good year, and Wyatt is already a sophomore. We need to infuse some young talent and allow them to develop a year or so before they're absolutely called upon. It's not a huge issue, but an injury or two and we're looking real thin all of a sudden. I understand that we play a 3-4 defense, but on early run downs Atkins was in there at NT with 1 DT and 1 DE to complete the 3. I don't think anyone thinks we play 4 man front, we are just saying NT, as some on here are lumping all the DTs as possible replacement for Atkins, which isn't the case.

No, he wasn’t just talking about NT. He was talking NT and DT. My point is NT is the only stand alone position on our DL. Our DE/DT are interchangeable.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldn’t figure out exactly who to “quote” on this due to a lot of great comments, but if you go back and watch some of UGA’s games last year, any team not named “Crimson Tide” that we played, there were MANY plays that we didn’t even have a true NT on the field. It seems to me that this staff is much more concerned with speed and technique than they are size. Could that come back to haunt us against a run heavy offense? Yes, but even at Bama, likely the most “run” oriented team we played last season, Tua is their future. The “speed, technique” theory will likely be the future on defense. JMO, of course.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:
    For the front 3 2018 we have:
    Soph - Wyatt, Herring, Beal (?)
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)
    SR - Ledbetter, Hawkins-Muckle.

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

We're fine at OLB/DE, we can't really lump in those positions with the interior where it takes 300lb guys though.
    The true interior players we'll have are..
    Hawkins-Muckle. The only dedicated NT
    Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

That leaves us with just a 2 deep rotation at DT and having to use one of them to sub at NT, that is razor thin unless Davis or Walthour is ready.

This and previous posts are based on the assumption that we play 3 interior linemen plus a DE which is not the case.

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

We're fine at OLB/DE, we can't really lump in those positions with the interior where it takes 300lb guys though.
    Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

That leaves us with just a 2 deep rotation at DT and having to use one of them to sub at NT, that is razor thin unless Davis or Walthour is ready.

So Herring, Marshall, Young and Ledbetter won't play this year? All of these guys have rotated in and played well to very well.

Those guys are not DTs or NTs, so they are not true interior linemen. They will play DE and in some cases ILB.

I think you're mistaken. All of our dlinemen are interchangeable dt's, de's except the ones who are true nt's. Hawkins-Muckle and Rochester will be the primary nt's. All of the others can play dt or de. Fairly certain Marshall slid inside some when both Bellamy and Carter were on the field last year.

No, I'm correct.
    I'm referring to the 3 interior positions that are constant in our defense.
    When we use any other alignment Marshall and other players will play to either side of these core interior players.
    Use common sense, have you ever seen us line up with 270lb players at those 3 positions ?

BTW Walthour is 270lbs I believe so likely a DE

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

This and previous posts are based on the assumption that we play 3 interior linemen plus a DE which is not the case.

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

So Herring, Marshall, Young and Ledbetter won't play this year? All of these guys have rotated in and played well to very well.

Those guys are not DTs or NTs, so they are not true interior linemen. They will play DE and in some cases ILB.

I think you're mistaken. All of our dlinemen are interchangeable dt's, de's except the ones who are true nt's. Hawkins-Muckle and Rochester will be the primary nt's. All of the others can play dt or de. Fairly certain Marshall slid inside some when both Bellamy and Carter were on the field last year.

No, I'm correct.
    When we use any other alignment Marshall and other players will play to either side of these core interior players.
    Use common sense, have you ever seen us line up with 270lb players at those 3 positions ?

But, but, but....common sense!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:
    The 4 guys I named right there for you along with Rochester, Atkins, Hawkins-Muckle, etc. Example across the line...Carter, Ledbetter, Atkins, Marshall, Bellamy.

I know Bellamy never lined up in any of the 3 or 4 inside positions. I sure don't recall Marshall or Ledbetter doing so either. It's a very different thing to line up next to a DT in either a 3-4 or 4-3 and being one of the guys in the center of the LOS.

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

No, I'm correct.

Walthour was likely closer to 285lb his senior season.
    He will without doubt be 300lb or more when plays for Georgia. He is nowhere near what his frame will carry.
    But I didn't list him for the 2018 rotation because he might not be ready to play.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@Teddy said:

@Denmen185 said:
    The 2017 Depth chart shows
    NT - Atkins, Rochester
    LE - Thompson, Clark
    RE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Carter.

2018 (AJC proj) shows
    NT - Rochester, Wyatt
    DT - Clark, Herring
    DE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Cox

This does not include Barnett (DT), Hawkins-Muckle (NT/DT), Young (DE) or Young (DE).

The thing to understand is that the interior line is NOT 1 DE, 2 DT and 1 NT. that's 4 and we only ever played 3 (3-4 D) last year. 5 man front was 3 DL and 2 OLB or when we dropped to 4 man front it was 3 DL and 1 OLB. You either include the DE in your 3 man rotation or if you exclude the DE the DT/NT is a 2 man rotation.

NT - Rochester, Wyatt is the part that's worrying some folks (Hawkins-Muckle can be thrown in there to complete the 3 deep). Hawkins-Muckle is a senior who has contributed just a little his first 3 years, Rochester is a junior and could leave early with a good year, and Wyatt is already a sophomore. We need to infuse some young talent and allow them to develop a year or so before they're absolutely called upon. It's not a huge issue, but an injury or two and we're looking real thin all of a sudden. I understand that we play a 3-4 defense, but on early run downs Atkins was in there at NT with 1 DT and 1 DE to complete the 3. I don't think anyone thinks we play 4 man front, we are just saying NT, as some on here are lumping all the DTs as possible replacement for Atkins, which isn't the case.

No, he wasn’t just talking about NT. He was talking NT and DT. My point is NT is the only stand alone position on our DL. Our DE/DT are interchangeable.

You don't line up a 270lb DE next to the NT except perhaps on an occasional 3rd and long, and likely not then either.

• Options
    edited February 2018

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:
    The 4 guys I named right there for you along with Rochester, Atkins, Hawkins-Muckle, etc. Example across the line...Carter, Ledbetter, Atkins, Marshall, Bellamy.

I know Bellamy never lined up in any of the 3 or 4 inside positions. I sure don't recall Marshall or Ledbetter doing so either. It's a very different thing to line up next to a DT in either a 3-4 or 4-3 and being one of the guys in the center of the LOS.

But the point is our rotation is 3 interior linemen which is 1 DE, 1 NT and 1 DT not 1 NT and 2 DT as you keep suggesting.
    In fact our starters were typically Carter (zo), Clark, Atkins, Ledbetter, Bellamy

• Options

^^^^ Ledbetter, Marshall, etc. NEVER played OLB

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

No, I'm correct.

Walthour was likely closer to 285lb his senior season.
    He will without doubt be 300lb or more when plays for Georgia. He is nowhere near what his frame will carry.
    But I didn't list him for the 2018 rotation because he might not be ready to play.

He's working to get to 300 lbs

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

But the point is our rotation is 3 interior linemen which is 1 DE, 1 NT and 1 DT not 1 NT and 2 DT as you keep suggesting.

I worded it poorly perhaps.
    In a 3-4 the 3 interior guys are going to be the true DTs and a NT.
    In a 4-3 the 4 interior guys are going to be the DTs, Ledbetter may have been at 1 of the outside DT positions on some plays though.
    The point stands in any formation we will have at least 3 guys right at 300lb or bigger. That means we will be pushed to put a good 2 deep together from the experienced guys we'll have for the 2018 season. That's counting Wyatt's CC experience.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

In a 4-3 the 4 interior guys are going to be the DTs, Ledbetter may have been at 1 of the outside DT positions on some plays though.
    The point stands in any formation we will have at least 3 guys right at 300lb or bigger. That means we will be pushed to put a good 2 deep together from the experienced guys we'll have for the 2018 season. That's counting Wyatt's CC experience.

THE 3 IN THE 3-4 ARE 1 NT, 1 DT AND 1 DE.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

I see reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. Never said Bellamy played inside.
    You must not be watching the same games that @Denmen185 and I watched.

• Options
    edited February 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

You so don’t have a freaking clue what you’re talking about! Use some of that common sense you have and quit while you’re ahead.

• Options

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

WELL THAT'S ONE WAY TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS SINCE YOU'RE TALKING TO WCDAWG I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU HAVE TO YELL

I need a biscuit :D

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

WELL THAT'S ONE WAY TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS SINCE YOU'RE TALKING TO WCDAWG I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU HAVE TO YELL

Does this discussion pertain to 7man football too?

• Options

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

Does this discussion pertain to 7man football too?

Yes, I always need a biscuit!

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NT - Rochester, Wyatt, Davis (RS)
    DT - Clark, Carter/Herring, Walthour (RS)

Davis and Walthour will RS to get in shape and gain weight respectively. They will also probably be there til there RS Sr years meaning the keep depth longer. We are in good position with a top DT in Walker next year. DE we are set and have a good track on top guys next season. We will be okay. We are slowly getting younger and better but still have key experienced pieces. Scott teaches good techniques!!!

• Options
    HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seeing some saltiness in this thread. Kind of like it with the tension set into place for tomorrow. Just remember, at the end of the day, at least we're not fans of any other loser team in the East like Volunteers for Shutouts, Female Prostitute Genital Necks, or Lizards. Just trying to throw in some silver lining for the group.