Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As good as this class will be......

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:
    For the front 3 2018 we have:
    Soph - Wyatt, Herring, Beal (?)
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)
    SR - Ledbetter, Hawkins-Muckle.

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

We're fine at OLB/DE, we can't really lump in those positions with the interior where it takes 300lb guys though.
    The true interior players we'll have are..
    Hawkins-Muckle. The only dedicated NT
    Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

That leaves us with just a 2 deep rotation at DT and having to use one of them to sub at NT, that is razor thin unless Davis or Walthour is ready.

Walthour?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:
    JR - Rochester, Carter, Clark, Marshall, Young, Barnett (moved back last season)

There is a lot of both talent and experience amongst that group that should carry over to 2019 season. 1 more would be helpful but the cupboard is not bare.

Hmmm I was under the impression that Beal was going to be playing OLB, not interior d line? Is that right?

We're fine at OLB/DE, we can't really lump in those positions with the interior where it takes 300lb guys though.
    Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

That leaves us with just a 2 deep rotation at DT and having to use one of them to sub at NT, that is razor thin unless Davis or Walthour is ready.

Walthour?

I listed both Davis and Walthour as potential rotation guys but you can't count on either being ready this coming season.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

So Herring, Marshall, Young and Ledbetter won't play this year? All of these guys have rotated in and played well to very well.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

So Herring, Marshall, Young and Ledbetter won't play this year? All of these guys have rotated in and played well to very well.

Ledbetter will be one of the leaders of the defensive line. All those guys you listed will get lots of playing time and will contribute greatly.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

Those guys are not DTs or NTs, so they are not true interior linemen. They will play DE and in some cases ILB.

• Options

@DawgsofWar said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

Ledbetter will be one of the leaders of the defensive line. All those guys you listed will get lots of playing time and will contribute greatly.

True, but none of them will be the 300lb interior DLs we have to have for our defense to work as it's designed to.

• Options

@DawgsofWar said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

I know that and you know that but obviously someone else doesn't.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

I know that and you know that but obviously someone else doesn't.

Wow, I explained this, some people..

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

Those guys are not DTs or NTs, so they are not true interior linemen. They will play DE and in some cases ILB.

I think you're mistaken. All of our dlinemen are interchangeable dt's, de's except the ones who are true nt's. Hawkins-Muckle and Rochester will be the primary nt's. All of the others can play dt or de. Fairly certain Marshall slid inside some when both Bellamy and Carter were on the field last year.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

I think you're mistaken. All of our dlinemen are interchangeable dt's, de's except the ones who are true nt's. Hawkins-Muckle and Rochester will be the primary nt's. All of the others can play dt or de. Fairly certain Marshall slid inside some when both Bellamy and Carter were on the field last year.

No, I'm correct.
    I'm referring to the 3 interior positions that are constant in our defense.
    When we use any other alignment Marshall and other players will play to either side of these core interior players.
    Use common sense, have you ever seen us line up with 270lb players at those 3 positions ?

• Options
    DawginknoxvilleDawginknoxville Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

Rochester will actually play more nose along with Hawkins-Muckle. It's kinda thin but with the addition of Davis, three NT's is plenty. DT depth is actually really good right now, Clark, carter, wyatt and marshall playing a hybrid role of it. However Scott will have to pick up his weight on the 2019 DL recruiting cycle.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

No, I'm correct.
    When we use any other alignment Marshall and other players will play to either side of these core interior players.
    Use common sense, have you ever seen us line up with 270lb players at those 3 positions ?

I can't pull up video on work computer but I believe if you look at the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl you'll see us playing a 5 man line... 3 down linemen and 2 outside backers. If I'm remembering that correctly tell me who is playing DT in that alignment. Ledbetter, Marshall, Clark and possibly Herring.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

No, I'm correct.

I can't pull up video on work computer but I believe if you look at the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl you'll see us playing a 5 man line... 3 down linemen and 2 outside backers. If I'm remembering that correctly tell me who is playing DT in that alignment. Ledbetter, Marshall, Clark and possibly Herring.

I think @WCDawg is mainly referring to a true nose tackle type player. Those in the 300-315 weight range. A guy just like Atkins who eats up blockers and the two gaps up the middle on early run downs, and allows players like Roquan and the other linebackers to make plays. A lot of our DTs are in the 270-285 range, and might not be able to hold up against the likes of Bama's interior linemen. They may work against lower tier teams, but against elite SEC lines it will be tough. That's why I think one of Sandidge or Davis is a must to fill out the class. I'm glad Wyatt was able to get on campus in December during bowl prep, he's probably going to be needed next year.

• Options

So, true nose guards= Hawkins-Muckle, Rochester and Wyatt. 3 deep.
    I also get what he’s saying about DT but...several of our guys are listed as DL, not NT or DE. That means they move around, play different spots.
    I just don’t think we’re in as bad a shape along the DL as some would like to make out.

• Options
    NYCugaNYCuga Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

My predictions:
    Campbell - UGA
    Walker - Vols
    Reese - UGA
    Davis - UGA
    Sandidge - S. Caorlina
    Bush - Baylor
    Walthour - Junior college, not academically qualified

Thoughts?

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the increased use of the no-huddle and spread offenses, I think we'll have to use a defensive line with lighter, faster 3 play DT's (around 280 - 290 pounds) that can stay on the field. Still going to need some big NT's for teams that was to play power football.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

The 2017 Depth chart shows
    NT - Atkins, Rochester
    LE - Thompson, Clark
    RE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Carter.

2018 (AJC proj) shows
    NT - Rochester, Wyatt
    DT - Clark, Herring
    DE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Cox

This does not include Barnett (DT), Hawkins-Muckle (NT/DT), Young (DE) or Young (DE).

The thing to understand is that the interior line is NOT 1 DE, 2 DT and 1 NT. that's 4 and we only ever played 3 (3-4 D) last year. 5 man front was 3 DL and 2 OLB or when we dropped to 4 man front it was 3 DL and 1 OLB. You either include the DE in your 3 man rotation or if you exclude the DE the DT/NT is a 2 man rotation.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:
    The 2017 Depth chart shows
    NT - Atkins, Rochester
    LE - Thompson, Clark
    RE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Carter.

2018 (AJC proj) shows
    NT - Rochester, Wyatt
    DT - Clark, Herring
    DE - Ledbetter, Marshall, Cox

This does not include Barnett (DT), Hawkins-Muckle (NT/DT), Young (DE) or Young (DE).

The thing to understand is that the interior line is NOT 1 DE, 2 DT and 1 NT. that's 4 and we only ever played 3 (3-4 D) last year. 5 man front was 3 DL and 2 OLB or when we dropped to 4 man front it was 3 DL and 1 OLB. You either include the DE in your 3 man rotation or if you exclude the DE the DT/NT is a 2 man rotation.

NT - Rochester, Wyatt is the part that's worrying some folks (Hawkins-Muckle can be thrown in there to complete the 3 deep). Hawkins-Muckle is a senior who has contributed just a little his first 3 years, Rochester is a junior and could leave early with a good year, and Wyatt is already a sophomore. We need to infuse some young talent and allow them to develop a year or so before they're absolutely called upon. It's not a huge issue, but an injury or two and we're looking real thin all of a sudden. I understand that we play a 3-4 defense, but on early run downs Atkins was in there at NT with 1 DT and 1 DE to complete the 3. I don't think anyone thinks we play 4 man front, we are just saying NT, as some on here are lumping all the DTs as possible replacement for Atkins, which isn't the case.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@Denmen185 said:

Carter
    Clark
    Rochester
    Wyatt

No, I'm correct.

Who was playing the 3 inside positions, that's the point.

• Options

The 4 guys I named right there for you along with Rochester, Atkins, Hawkins-Muckle, etc. Example across the line...Carter, Ledbetter, Atkins, Marshall, Bellamy.