Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Any Hot Sauce Fans out there?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:
    I love hot and spicy food and try a lot hot sauces. Just wondering what others like and suggest.

Thanks for firing up this topic! It'll take me a while to get through all the sauces suggested, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@DirtDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:
    I love hot and spicy food and try a lot hot sauces. Just wondering what others like and suggest.

Thanks for firing up this topic! It'll take me a while to get through all the sauces suggested, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.

Thanks! It's a good thing we can divert our minds during the "off season." Plus, it has given me insight to many more I can try. Thanks to all those who have contributed!!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cholula is good
    Louisiana hot sauce is good
    Crystal hot sauce is good
    Texas Pete is good
    Tabasco is nasty to me

I like spicy and mild sauces, don't like anything that's gonna feel like lava coming out the opposite end. Call me a **** all you want, but I ain't trying to set my poot hatch on fire.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife and I divvy up supper cooking and, bless her heart, she gives me ample opportunity to sample different hot sauces on nights when she cooks. This thread is a Godsend.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have tried thousands of hot sauces and can drink what most fear back in the day when I was young. There pairings to Wine, and to me there pairings of Beer and ofcourse there hot sauce pairings to food.
    I will give you one of my favorites top 10 in a generic sense that you can get from Amazon called "Sturgis" smooth habanero. Yep Sturgis is the bike event , I do not know the backstory on that. Great flavor for starches . Medium heat.
    I have my top 10 list and enjoy a lifetime of trying to find the next best hot sauce or beer. BROYKLYN #2 not a bad beer to go with it and food.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Silver_Britches said:
    Cholula is good
    Louisiana hot sauce is good
    Crystal hot sauce is good
    Texas Pete is good
    Tabasco is nasty to me

I like spicy and mild sauces, don't like anything that's gonna feel like lava coming out the opposite end. Call me a **** all you want, but I ain't trying to set my poot hatch on fire.

@Silver_Britches I would reverse your first and last, otherwise agree. I don't like/get Cholula - has an off taste to me. I like Tabasco. i would use it more but for the price vs other choices there. Plus I can get Texas Pete in large bottles. Plus need my Melinda's Jalapeno as I earlier declared.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@pgjackson said:
    Some MRE's (Meal, Ready To Eat) come with tiny bottles of Tabasco. That s#it is a life-saver. I used to collect the unused bottles from the guys who didn't like it. Made so many "ham slice" and "beef stew" MREs tolerable. If you have never experienced a MRE, well...it's hard to explain...but Tabasco really helps.

MRE’s (I’m told) these days are much better. But I’m with you. The Tiny Tabasco could at least make the thing go down, with less of a chance of it coming back up. (Side note - we actually called them “Marines Refuse to Eat”). LOL

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

bump...

because we need both hot sauce threads on page 1

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

if you like srircha/rooster sauce then you need to try sosu sauces

they are out of california and their barrel aged srircha is the best. you will never want to go back to green top again

I have been to pucker butt, which is owned by the guy who created the carolina reaper. hottest pepper in the world (though he has a new one coming out that is much hotter)

they have their own line of hot sauces and I have tried 6-8 of them and really enjoyed a few. their green hot sauce is the best green hot sauce I have ever had.

as mentioned in this thread the el yucateco green is good. I do not like their black hot sauce though

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@tfk_fanboy said:

they are out of california and their barrel aged srircha is the best. you will never want to go back to green top again

I have been to pucker butt, which is owned by the guy who created the carolina reaper. hottest pepper in the world (though he has a new one coming out that is much hotter)

they have their own line of hot sauces and I have tried 6-8 of them and really enjoyed a few. their green hot sauce is the best green hot sauce I have ever had.

as mentioned in this thread the el yucateco green is good. I do not like their black hot sauce though

Interesting. They did a segment yesterday on CBS Sunday Morning on Puckerbutt. The host of the segment tried a Carolina Reaper. She faired fairly well but was drinking a lot of water and could barely talk toward the end of the segment.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

Hard to beat good old Crystal. Texas Pete is pretty good too.

• Options

@ghostofuga1 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Interesting. They did a segment yesterday on CBS Sunday Morning on Puckerbutt. The host of the segment tried a Carolina Reaper. She faired fairly well but was drinking a lot of water and could barely talk toward the end of the segment.

imo anyone who eats a reaper straight is asking for trouble. i have a tiny jar of pure reaper they puree and sell in store. very small amount into a pot of chili works to add sweat-inducing heat and good flavor

if you are a hot sauce or a fan of growing hot peppers, check out their site. they sell sauce and seeds. I go by the store once a year or so to pick up new sauces.

• Options

@ghostofuga1 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

but if you like srircha then sosu barrel aged must be tried

I think they have a sale right now, use promo code bogo I think it is. got a email yesterday or so.

if you look on another cooking thread here I posted some wings I made using their sauce as a base. I enjoy grilling and smoking and think I am solid but I can say without a doubt they were the best wings I have ever had in my life.

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like hot sauce but only the mild stuff like moores buffalo wing sauce (my fav, good on anything) lol. I guess i have been sprayed in the face to many times with OC spray...im done lol.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are a lot of boutique hot sauces now that I regrettably don't have access to here, but I still love sriracha. I don't know if it falls into the same category, and it's no ghost pepper-level colon cleanser, but it's got a nice balance of flavor and heat depending on who makes it.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    The Carolina Reaper is suppose to be pretty hot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozHUec4sPc&frags=pl%2Cwn

Darwin Award candidates?

• Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I grow ghost peppers (among others) and make a sauce that falls just short of melting your face off. It's fantastic. My wife goes through about 3qts a year. She eats that **** on every thing.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    The Carolina Reaper is suppose to be pretty hot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozHUec4sPc&frags=pl%2Cwn

Darwin Award candidates?

Brain damaged, but not bad looking!