Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Infield

13»

Comments

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I’m just glad this years rotation has a solid 2 and 3.

I have no clue who will emerge as the 1.

That buffet buster in the rotation last year basically got paid to be a mascot.

I'm not sure we have any truly solid starters. Even Julio has questions.
    Where are the consistently good 200 plus inning guys ?
    This is the year we need to see some starters deliver.

For perspective.
    Name the starters you trust to pitch close to 200 innings and have an ERA under 4.00.

My best guess is Folty will emerge as the #1, Julio will rebound and be #2, Gohara will be our best starter, but have injury problems......

I really like Newcombe and hope he can get it together.

i heard some announcers comparing Folty with Scherzer. They were throwing out some stats and they were pretty similar. I hope he is as successful as Scherzer.

Folty is in no way in Scherzer's class
    One is a #3 starter on a good staff, the other is a 2 time Cy Young winner.

Lets do a little comparision
    At age 25, Scherzer was 21-26. 3.69 ERA 422 IP 154 Walks 424 K's
    At age 25, Folty was 23-25. 4.87 ERA 382.2 IP 130 Walks 345 K's.

Numbers look pretty similar to me considering Folty was 25 last season. Scherzer didn't gain his all star status until 28. Folty is still a couple years away.

Those are actually not very similar. Folty walks more and strikes out fewer per innings pitched, and a full run difference in ERA is a lot before you even consider that the guy with the lower ERA also pitches in the AL.

Scherzer- 9 K's per 9 innings, 3.3 BB per 9 innings....2 years spent in Arizona then 1 in Detroit
    Folty- 8.1K's per 9 innings, 3 BB per 9 innings...1 year in Houston and 3 with Atlanta

Again the numbers are similar...The only stat that Scherzer appears to have a clear edge is in ERA.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.
    Name the starters you trust to pitch close to 200 innings and have an ERA under 4.00.

My best guess is Folty will emerge as the #1, Julio will rebound and be #2, Gohara will be our best starter, but have injury problems......

i heard some announcers comparing Folty with Scherzer. They were throwing out some stats and they were pretty similar. I hope he is as successful as Scherzer.

Numbers look pretty similar to me considering Folty was 25 last season. Scherzer didn't gain his all star status until 28. Folty is still a couple years away.

Those are actually not very similar. Folty walks more and strikes out fewer per innings pitched, and a full run difference in ERA is a lot before you even consider that the guy with the lower ERA also pitches in the AL.

Scherzer- 9 K's per 9 innings, 3.3 BB per 9 innings....2 years spent in Arizona then 1 in Detroit
    Folty- 8.1K's per 9 innings, 3 BB per 9 innings...1 year in Houston and 3 with Atlanta

Again the numbers are similar...The only stat that Scherzer appears to have a clear edge is in ERA.

ERA, as in Scherzer gives up far fewer earned runs than Folty, and did from his first season on.
    Folty isn't in Scherzer's class.

As for the argument others made that 200 innings is no longer a prime measure, Kershaw would easily have won The2017 Cy Young if he'd pitched 200 innings, he pitched 175 while Scherzer pitched 200, Scherzer won,.
    Kluber won in The AL, he had 203 innings pitched.

You need 200 innings to have a full season as a starter.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.

ERA, as in Scherzer gives up far fewer earned runs than Folty, and did from his first season on.

As for the argument others made that 200 innings is no longer a prime measure, Kershaw would easily have won The2017 Cy Young if he'd pitched 200 innings, he pitched 175 while Scherzer pitched 200, Scherzer won,.

So you're saying only 15 starters had full seasons each of the past 2 yrs?

• Options

@PTDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.

So you're saying only 15 starters had full seasons each of the past 2 yrs?

Nope, that was another poster.
    I'm saying to be a top starter you need both innings and quality.
    If a team has to dip into the pen to cover a starter's shortage he loses value.
    Kershaw would have run away with the 2017 Cy if not for being 4 starts short in innings, it matters.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.

So ERA is the only thing that counts as a pitcher?

I'm not saying Folty is going to be a Cy Young winner, but if you think the numbers aren't comparable then you're blind. Must be a Nats fan or Scherzer's cousin.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.

I'm not saying Folty is going to be a Cy Young winner, but if you think the numbers aren't comparable then you're blind. Must be a Nats fan or Scherzer's cousin.

Not going to say that ERA is the only thing that matters, but it is easily the single most important stat of a pitcher. And considering one year of Sherzer's stats are in the AL, makes it even more impressive. At this point Folty isn't in Max's league. Not saying he can't get there, but he's gotta flip the switch soon.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There have been tons of pitchers who record high Ks/9inn who were not good pitchers. There are not many organizations in baseball where a 4.87 carer ERA pitcher would even be in the majors. 4.79 era last year isnt even in the Top 50, so Im not ready to compare him to Scherzer.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

For perspective.

Not going to say that ERA is the only thing that matters, but it is easily the single most important stat of a pitcher. And considering one year of Sherzer's stats are in the AL, makes it even more impressive. At this point Folty isn't in Max's league. Not saying he can't get there, but he's gotta flip the switch soon.

Exactly.
    I'm not down on Folty, but he's fighting to become a #2 or #3 starter, Scherzer is top 5 in MLB.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So the argument I’m seeing is Folty can’t be a number 1 at age 25. Max wasn’t even a 1 at age 25. He was probably a 3 at that age. He didn’t even make an all star game till age 28. 6 years into his pro career. Yeah he gave up a 3.50 era but was 12 and 11. Which shows how ineffective he was. Tigers that year did finish 81-81 and 3rd in the Central.
    Folty who was arguably one of the best pitchers on Staff last year. He can easily be a number 1 with his explosive arm. At age 25 did give up 4.79 ERA but his strike out to walk per 9 IP is very similar to Max at age 25. Folty is pitching in a much smaller ballpark that the ball flies out of than Max was pitching in Detroit. Also Folty missed a couple starts so that does effect the stat line just a little bit. Also Braves were 70-92 and 3rd in NL East. Just another note Folty was better than Teheran was last year. Which means Folty can be a number 1 on this staff. If we are playing the stat game.

Just to note my stats came from Baseball Reference if you are wondering. Which is a great site for all of your baseball stat needs.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    So the argument I’m seeing is Folty can’t be a number 1 at age 25. Max wasn’t even a 1 at age 25. He was probably a 3 at that age. He didn’t even make an all star game till age 28. 6 years into his pro career. Yeah he gave up a 3.50 era but was 12 and 11. Which shows how ineffective he was. Tigers that year did finish 81-81 and 3rd in the Central.

>
    Record is frequently more a product of run support, which is out of the pitcher's control.

Folty who was arguably one of the best pitchers on Staff last year.

That's not saying much.

He can easily be a number 1 with his explosive arm. At age 25 did give up 4.79 ERA but his strike out to walk per 9 IP is very similar to Max at age 25.

>
    Hundreds of pitchers have had similar or better strikeout ratios. Doesnt mean a thing.

Folty is pitching in a much smaller ballpark that the ball flies out of than Max was pitching in Detroit. Also Folty missed a couple starts so that does effect the stat line just a little bit.

>
    Designated hitter? Pitchers in the AL usually have higher ERAs. Folty's road ERA was horrible.

Also Braves were 70-92 and 3rd in NL East. Just another note Folty was better than Teheran was last year. Which means Folty can be a number 1 on this staff. If we are playing the stat game.

>
    By what measure? Teheran recorded one more win, had a better era and a vastly superior whip.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    Folty who was arguably one of the best pitchers on Staff last year. He can easily be a number 1 with his explosive arm. At age 25 did give up 4.79 ERA but his strike out to walk per 9 IP is very similar to Max at age 25. Folty is pitching in a much smaller ballpark that the ball flies out of than Max was pitching in Detroit. Also Folty missed a couple starts so that does effect the stat line just a little bit. Also Braves were 70-92 and 3rd in NL East. Just another note Folty was better than Teheran was last year. Which means Folty can be a number 1 on this staff. If we are playing the stat game.

Just to note my stats came from Baseball Reference if you are wondering. Which is a great site for all of your baseball stat needs.

My argument is it's preposterous to compare Folty to the 2 time Cy winner.
    Also Scherzer was far more successful early in his career than Folty has been.
    NOTHING comes close to defining a starter as much as ERA, other than innings pitched maybe. Scherzer had a relatively low ERA before he became elite, Folty MAY yet show meaningful results... but. If you've followed baseball for long you should know ''potential'' more often than not doesn't manifest itself at the high end.

• Options

@Bankwalker said:

@dbrown7494 said:

Folty is pitching in a much smaller ballpark that the ball flies out of than Max was pitching in Detroit. Also Folty missed a couple starts so that does effect the stat line just a little bit.

>
    Designated hitter? Pitchers in the AL usually have higher ERAs. Folty's road ERA was horrible.

Scherzer and Folty both spent one season in the AL during the 25> years. Folty's first year was with Houston as Scherzer's last was in Detroit. The DH argument isn't a valid one in this case.

• Options

@corai3 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@dbrown7494 said:

>

Scherzer and Folty both spent one season in the AL during the 25> years. Folty's first year was with Houston as Scherzer's last was in Detroit. The DH argument isn't a valid one in this case.

Nice try, but you might actually take a look at the stats before saying it isn't a valid point. Folty pitched all of 18 innings in the American League. Scherzer threw 195 innings his first in the AL. Those hardly balance.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok, I’ll bite.

Fultys numbers are not elite, but he has shown flashes of being able to go complete game, strike out 9, walk 2, and give up a run. I believe we will see him go an inning longer this season and his era drop by .5

Bigcali has spoken

Thanks be to Bigcali