Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

If Mel gets an HC opportunity

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know a few schools showed some pretty significant interest. You know Kirby has a list of replacements. Who would be on your short list?

Comments

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough to say. Could maybe promote from within with Schumann, but he's still fairly young. Also, there's generally a lot of movement with coordinators in the NFL. Could try to find another "Mel" that way. Would have to think of who would match-up with Kirby's defensive scheme/philosophy the best, and just as importantly who could recruit.

• Options
    ReelLifeDawg843ReelLifeDawg843 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

More of a matter of ‘when’ than ‘if’. Definitely something to ponder. Not sure who would be out there, but I think Kirby will be looking for more of a recruiter than coordinator. @acrum21 absolutely right about Coach already making a list though, will be interesting

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's going to take a good offer to get him to leave, he makes more as DC at Ga. than most smaller schools pay their HC. Think CKS would promote Schumann or hire someone who had coached with him on Saban's staff.

• Options

Had Sherrer not left for Tennessee I'd say he would have been the favorite

• Options
    mikeshuemikeshue Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

Jerry Glanville

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buckaroo Banzi.

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah I agree with most of ya'll. Definitely a tough decision. I love Glenn S. and his knowledge and experience in this defense, but he is extremely young and that is the same with all of the coaches that would be left on the defensive side of the ball once Mel Tucker leaves. Hopefully, its a Cooley and Pittman situation where Tucker really enjoys Athens and wants to build something special for a few years.

Either way we need to get this "No Fly Zone" secondary signed and sealed before the late signing period so guys aren't in limbo about whether they want to wait on a new coach. We didn't have anybody in place for a while after Kevin S. decided to take the Tenn job.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

The Oconee County Sheriff! Whoever writes the posts for him on Facebook is pretty talented.

On the serious side, I think Mel may stay put for a few years. He is only 46 and they moved several times the past ten years prior to arriving in Athens. His sons are 15 and 13 so they may want to let them finish high school. That puts Mel at 50/51 to bank some money now and leverage the right opportunity at that point.

Mel is a native of Cleveland and played at Wisconsin and was the DC at Ohio State. I can picture him at a Big Ten School a bit more than I do the SEC or other major conferences. If Urban decides to leave coaching again in the next three to five years, I am pretty sure Mel would be on their consideration list.

I see no benefit in taking a HC job at this age at a lower level school.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

..if he likes it, he will take it. It would be a shame if this happens in the next 3 years - a fun ride for all, but a reasonable person couldn't expect otherwise. As to replacement, then I leave that to Kirby. In Kirby, We Trust.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    FunroeFunroe Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2018

Promote Schumann or go after Bud Foster from VTech

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bud Foster is an excellent DC, but his image and personality off the field is the main reason he has never offered a head coaching job or promoted at VT.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2018

players oust belichick ...he becomes first guy to coach multiple teams via ai tech...robot on the sideline (put a hershel jersey on him or something, with cut off sleeves) if that tech is not avail by then.. obvious choice...sadie robertson

• Options

After seeing that Schumann will be attending the draft with Kirby, I think I'm going to have to lean in that direction as far as who would be the next man up after Mel. I think that's a pretty significant gesture.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    After seeing that Schumann will be attending the draft with Kirby, I think I'm going to have to lean in that direction as far as who would be the next man up after Mel. I think that's a pretty significant gesture.

I think Schumann going to the draft is to boost our recruiting. Seeing both your potential college head coach and position coach at the draft has to hit home for some of these elite players. Although, I'm not saying you're wrong about Kirby looking at Schumann as a potential Mel replacement.

• Options

Yeah I agree, its just Kirby didn't send Sherrer to the draft when Floyd went first round. And honestly I haven't noticed if other teams are doing the same?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    Yeah I agree, its just Kirby didn't send Sherrer to the draft when Floyd went first round. And honestly I haven't noticed if other teams are doing the same?

Final marketing pitch to OP, no?

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

It's a pride thing, as well as moral support. Just like your parents attending your graduation. You want to be there to celebrate their success, but we're also getting national tv face time by promoting the UGA brand as well. You wanna be the best that you can be? Get drafted by the NFL? Go 1st round? COME TO UGA. How long has it been since we sent at least 10 guys to the draft, much less multiple (possible) 1st round draft picks? You know Roquan, Kirby, and Schumann will be grinning ear to ear. And so will I. But I'm looking forward to ALL of our guys making it! They deserve it. It's a win-win situation for us all.

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

Final marketing pitch to OP, no?

It definitely cannot hurt! I think OP is in the bag at the point. But I think Kirby and staff has done a good job of always pushing the envelope! I will never forget Big Cat saying we recruited him too hard lolol! Kirby doesn't have an off switch he does things the only way he knows how!