Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Juniors who could leave early

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO Tyler Clark is the biggest contender to enter the draft as a junior. I thought he showed flashes last year where I thought nobody could block this dude on obvious passing situations. He is so quick off the ball but if he can improve his game on 1st and 2nd downs against the run, he will probably bolt for the NFL. I believe Holyfield will emerge as the workhorse who earns the tough yards and with the history of the RB position, after a solid Junior yr he will move on. I think Mecole has the talent to leave after 3 but only has 1 solid season of film. Unless he absolutely catches fire and puts up some serious numbers, I see him coming back. Nauta probably also has the talent to leave after the season but doesn't have the production to match (no fault of his own). I was curious what everyone thinks will shake out?

Comments

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said this yesterday on another post yesterday. I think that Clark is the only lock to leave. I said Mecole has a chance with a solid year, but because he's really only in his second year at the position I think he stays. Nauta hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of leaving. Holyfield might, but I think he stays.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 2016 kids since they are a hybrid of Richt and Smart recruits. It would be worth watching to see if any of them jump at the chance if they have a good year or if they want to come back and win the title. I also think if we win the title this year that'll make it easier for borderline guys to leave.

• Options
    edited May 2018

@Kasey said:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 2016 kids since they are a hybrid of Richt and Smart recruits. It would be worth watching to see if any of them jump at the chance if they have a good year or if they want to come back and win the title. I also think if we win the title this year that'll make it easier for borderline guys to leave.

I personally don't think winning the title will sway a kid to leave. It will all be about projected draft position. If you're a projected 4th rounder that started on a title defense, it's dumb to leave with a year of eligibility left. 1st round locks leave regardless of titles. Michel and Chubb were 3rd to 4th round at best last year which is why they came back. If either had a 1st round grade they would've left and I wouldn't have blamed them.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't consider being a projected 4th round pick to be "borderline".

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Holyfield is clearly not a Kirby favorite, whether it's personal or about blocking is hard to say.
    For that reason I doubt EH gets a lot of totes.
    As for who leaves, as of now it looks like both 2019 and 2020 will be thin drafts for us, Kirby's guys will start hitting the market in 2021.

• Options

@donm said:

What would be borderline then for the draft?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:

@donm said:

like the guys who were projected to go 6th-7th round but didn't make it? Also, I might have mis-read Kasey's post. I took it to mean guys who were borderline for playing time at UGA, not borderline for the draft. Sorry for that.

• Options

@WCDawg said:
    Holyfield is clearly not a Kirby favorite, whether it's personal or about blocking is hard to say.
    For that reason I doubt EH gets a lot of totes.
    As for who leaves, as of now it looks like both 2019 and 2020 will be thin drafts for us, Kirby's guys will start hitting the market in 2021.

who do you think gets the Chubb "bruiser, big back" totes?

• Options

@donm said:

@corai3 said:

@donm said:

like the guys who were projected to go 6th-7th round but didn't make it? Also, I might have mis-read Kasey's post. I took it to mean guys who were borderline for playing time at UGA, not borderline for the draft. Sorry for that.

All good. I think borderline for declaring for the draft as a junior is a 3rd-4th round grade. Anyone that has that grade as a junior usually considers the jump.

• Options

I mostly meant borderline today. Like a Julian Rochester. But if he has a good postseason maybe he jumps since he’s one of those hybrid Richt/Smart guys

• Options

@corai3 Sorry for the repeat post and @Kasey I personally don't think Rochester has had the type of career so far to warrant leaving early. Guys that leave early are usually physically freakish or have huge stats to prop them up. I'm curious with Herrien though, with the talent coming in I just can't see him ever being the consensus #2 back, what would be the point in coming back for a senior season and would he even get enough carries this year to get real NFL looks? I'm curious to see how that situation unfolds.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 -- I agree with you, Rochester hasn’t shown the play that makes me think he’ll declare early. Also, I doubt Rochester will leave early after Thompson – his teammate at the same position – declared early for this draft and did not get selected.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    @corai3 Sorry for the repeat post and @Kasey I personally don't think Rochester has had the type of career so far to warrant leaving early. Guys that leave early are usually physically freakish or have huge stats to prop them up. I'm curious with Herrien though, with the talent coming in I just can't see him ever being the consensus #2 back, what would be the point in coming back for a senior season and would he even get enough carries this year to get real NFL looks? I'm curious to see how that situation unfolds.

The point for him to come back for his senior year would be his degree. I think that's fairly valuable, as that's a nice fall back if he doesn't get any looks at the NFL.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@corai3 said:
    I said this yesterday on another post yesterday. I think that Clark is the only lock to leave. I said Mecole has a chance with a solid year, but because he's really only in his second year at the position I think he stays. Nauta hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of leaving. Holyfield might, but I think he stays.

Nauta can't do anything because Chaney won't throw the TE's the ball. Chaney is wasting away TE talent every year and it will come to a point where no good TE's will come to UGA to be underused.

• Options

@Teddy I agree 100%, I guess I was thinking more on the lines of a possible transfer but didn't want to project that on the guy. I like him and hope to see him prosper but on the football field that may not happen at UGA.

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This years DL class is suppose to be deep with all of Clemson's D-Line leaving, as well as Oliver and Gary. It might be smart to come back (1) more year if you're a D-Lineman unless you are a 1st-2nd round lock.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:

@corai3 said:

Nauta can't do anything because Chaney won't throw the TE's the ball. Chaney is wasting away TE talent every year and it will come to a point where no good TE's will come to UGA to be underused.

One down year of TE production and the sky is falling? Nauta had about 350 yards his freshmen year, which is very solid. I think it had a lot to do with how well the run game went, how big of leads UGA had (therefore not throwing it), possibly leaving a tight end in to help the line (which was a perceived weakness heading into the year). Along with Fromm liking outside passes more than over the middle. I think you'll see Fromm progress his game to get them involved more. Last year when everyone was screaming about this, I made it a point to watch TEs specifically on pass plays, what I found was that they were rarely getting any separation, aka open. So, not getting much separation and a freshman QB led to the down production, not Chaney specifically. And trust me, no one has ever called me a Chaney cheerleader.

• Options

@Dakota_Nester I get where you're coming from but even if Clark projects #5 at his position, that's a guaranteed 2nd round slot for the most part. Test well at the combine maybe slip in late first.

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Acrum21 said:
    @Dakota_Nester I get where you're coming from but even if Clark projects #5 at his position, that's a guaranteed 2nd round slot for the most part. Test well at the combine maybe slip in late first.

Oh I agree 100%, it talent will play itself out. I hope he dominates the SEC and goes 1st round. Provide to Brenton Cox that UGA can produce 1st round d-lineman like O$U does ;)

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@Acrum21 said:
    IMO Tyler Clark is the biggest contender to enter the draft as a junior. I thought he showed flashes last year where I thought nobody could block this dude on obvious passing situations. He is so quick off the ball but if he can improve his game on 1st and 2nd downs against the run, he will probably bolt for the NFL. I believe Holyfield will emerge as the workhorse who earns the tough yards and with the history of the RB position, after a solid Junior yr he will move on. I think Mecole has the talent to leave after 3 but only has 1 solid season of film. Unless he absolutely catches fire and puts up some serious numbers, I see him coming back. Nauta probably also has the talent to leave after the season but doesn't have the production to match (no fault of his own). I was curious what everyone thinks will shake out?

Nice thread. I’m pulling for Elijah and can’t wait to see him do the Roger Craig all over Cackalacky and Auburn. IMHO, he’s the easiest of those listed to replace, due to the absurd depth we have at tailback. Brian Herrien is a **** good Dawg and is the most impacted by the depth chart. I hope he gets a game, maybe Austin Peay, where he gets 20 carries, because he WILL make an NFL team when he’s done.

Nauta will test well at the combine, no matter what the stats with us.

As for D-Line, we need every single Dawg willing to hunker down. Hope he stays.

What time is kick off?