Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sean Newcomb seems to waste a lot of power potential..

2»

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder why no one in the Braves or his previous organization has told him this.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    I wonder why no one in the Braves or his previous organization has told him this.

They have.
    His mechanics have been tinkered with several times.
    Organizations often tolerate odd deliveries because they sometimes create weird action on the ball that coaches are hesitant to risk losing. The down side is those mechanics often lead to injuries.
    Hitting on the other hand has become much more uniform in it's approach. Most of the great hitters use very similar mechanical approaches today.
    I was noticing how good Albies' approach is, obviously it's working.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

They have.
    His mechanics have been tinkered with several times.
    Organizations often tolerate odd deliveries because they sometimes create weird action on the ball that coaches are hesitant to risk losing. The down side is those mechanics often lead to injuries.
    Hitting on the other hand has become much more uniform in it's approach. Most of the great hitters use very similar mechanical approaches today.
    I was noticing how good Albies' approach is, obviously it's working.

Aren't some of these issues why the Braves were willing to trade Tommy Hansen several years ago? I seem to recall a lot of discussion about his mechanics and the organization believing that it would lead to injury.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weren't these some of the same problems that John Smoltz had?

• Options

@christopherules said:

Not that I'm aware of.
    As hard as it is to fathom Smoltz had a bad case of nerves early in his career though.
    He credits a sports psychologist who helped him get past it.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t go changing stuff right now, the kid is pitching very good. Locate that heater a little better is all that’s needed.

• Options

@orlando said:
    Don’t go changing stuff right now, the kid is pitching very good. Locate that heater a little better is all that’s needed.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    I know his mechanics were deliberately dialed back by our minor league pitching coaches, but I just don't understand why he doesn't drive off his left leg.
    The kid is built to pitch like Roger Clemens, but he collapses is support leg and loses a ton of the kinetic force that should come through his hips. In the long run he's likely to wear his shoulder and arm as well.
    Has anybody else noticed this ?

If he fails as a pitcher he can always play safety. Doesn't develop enough kinetic force through his hips to play CB.

Ouch!

• Options

@christopherules said:

Smoltzy had one of the most sound windup and deliveries I ever saw.

• Options

@andrews1253 I was referring to the injuries. That was my confusion. The GREAT John Smoltz (later on in his career) had a series of injuries that both Greg Maddux, & Tom Glavine seemed to somehow avoid. I was wondering if it his motion, or his style of pitching had anything to do with all of the unfortunate injuries that Smoltz suffered. Maddux was a master of changing speed and location, location, location. Glavine lived all day long (as a leftie) on the outside part of the plate, & then as the game wore on he went further outside, & then a little further outside, & then just a touch further.... While, John Smoltz (to me anyway) was a POWER pitcher. That was what I was wondering??

• Options

@christopherules said:
    @andrews1253 I was referring to the injuries. That was my confusion. The GREAT John Smoltz (later on in his career) had a series of injuries that both Greg Maddux, & Tom Glavine seemed to somehow avoid. I was wondering if it his motion, or his style of pitching had anything to do with all of the unfortunate injuries that Smoltz suffered. Maddux was a master of changing speed and location, location, location. Glavine lived all day long (as a leftie) on the outside part of the plate, & then as the game wore on he went further outside, & then a little further outside, & then just a touch further.... While, John Smoltz (to me anyway) was a POWER pitcher. That was what I was wondering??

You are correct. Smoltz was a power pitcher and some injuries are directly related to that. Neither Maddox or Glavin were power pitchers. I don't believe it was a result of his delivery. Junk ball pitchers suffer injuries resulting from their unorthodox deliveries also. My view of Smoltz is that he progressed through his entire career, benefiting from his association with Glavin and Maddox and coaching of Leo Mazzone.
    Got my attention because Smoltz was my favorite. Only wish we could get more excited about the Diamond Dawgs!

• Options
    edited May 2018

@christopherules said:

I'm not sure there is a definable reason for Smoltz's injuries, other than the inherent risk of his profession.
    The durability of both Glavine and Maddux was beyond amazing.
    Maddux's list of accomplishments related to consistency and durability is unmatched since Spahn, who of course was another great Bravo.
    Spahn and Maddux are #1 and #2 in MLB for career wins since WWII.

• Options

@WCDawg My Daddy (May our Almighty God rest his soul) told me of the old days that it was said about the Braves of that era, "Spahn & Sain & pray for rain."

• Options
    edited May 2018

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg My Daddy (May our Almighty God rest his soul) told me of the old days that it was said about the Braves of that era, "Spahn & Sain & pray for rain."

Spahn didn't play till he was 25 because of military service, and he just started 13 games that year.
    His 1st full season he was 26 years old. He went on to win 363 games, won at least 15 games 16 out of 17 seasons, winning 14 the other year, Maddux holds the record with 17 straight 15 or more win seasons. Spahn won at least 20 games 13 times and pitched at least 245 innings 17 straight seasons.
    Between Spahn and Maddux they won 718 games, throw in Glavine and it's 1023, throw in Neikro and Smoltz and our 5 post WWII HOF pitchers have 1564 wins and 211 saves between them. That averages to 313 wins and 42 saves per man.

• Options

@WCDawg Dang! That is just simply incredible. I learn something new in here at the DawgNation forum from y'all in here daily!

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

Spahn didn't play till he was 25 because of military service, and he just started 13 games that year.
    His 1st full season he was 26 years old. He went on to win 363 games, won at least 15 games 16 out of 17 seasons, winning 14 the other year, Maddux holds the record with 17 straight 15 or more win seasons. Spahn won at least 20 games 13 times and pitched at least 245 innings 17 straight seasons.
    Between Spahn and Maddux they won 718 games, throw in Glavine and it's 1023, throw in.

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg Dang! That is just simply incredible. I learn something new in here at the DawgNation forum from y'all in here daily!

I'm proud of our unmatched HOF pitching.
    Of the 12 pitchers in The HOF with at least a 90 WAR rating, 4 were Braves most of their careers.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

Between Spahn and Maddux they won 718 games, throw in Glavine and it's 1023, throw in.

@christopherules said:

I'm proud of our unmatched HOF pitching.
    Of the 12 pitchers in The HOF with at least a 90 WAR rating, 4 were Braves most of their careers.

I actually thought Smoltzy had the most postseason wins but I stand corrected.

All-time and Single-Season Postseason Pitching Leaders
    Rank. Player
    1. Andy Pettitte 19
    2. John Smoltz 15
    3. Tom Glavine 14
    4. Roger Clemens 12

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another strong performance today, giving up one hit in 6 shut-out innings. Whatever he’s doing with his mechanics, I don’t see the coaching staff trying to change them anytime soon.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:
    Another strong performance today, giving up one hit in 6 shut-out innings. Whatever he’s doing with his mechanics, I don’t see the coaching staff trying to change them anytime soon.

No, he's too far into his career now.
    Only time will tell if he has injuries due to mechanics.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@coastaldawg said:

No, he's too far into his career now.
    Only time will tell if he has injuries due to mechanics.

How does one tell if an injury is due to mechanics? I suspect there are lots of reasons a pitcher can get an injury to his arm or back that are not related to mechanics. Seems a safe bet to say if someone gets injured it's due to mechanics. Kind of hard to disprove.