Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sean Newcomb seems to waste a lot of power potential..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know his mechanics were deliberately dialed back by our minor league pitching coaches, but I just don't understand why he doesn't drive off his left leg.
The kid is built to pitch like Roger Clemens, but he collapses is support leg and loses a ton of the kinetic force that should come through his hips. In the long run he's likely to wear his shoulder and arm as well.
Has anybody else noticed this ?

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I know his mechanics were deliberately dialed back by our minor league pitching coaches, but I just don't understand why he doesn't drive off his left leg.
    The kid is built to pitch like Roger Clemens, but he collapses is support leg and loses a ton of the kinetic force that should come through his hips. In the long run he's likely to wear his shoulder and arm as well.

If he fails as a pitcher he can always play safety. Doesn't develop enough kinetic force through his hips to play CB.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

If he fails as a pitcher he can always play safety. Doesn't develop enough kinetic force through his hips to play CB.

Too tall and heavy for safety, but keep thinking outside the box.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm Newcomb is 6'5 255. He doesn't quite have the bend and quick twitch I like for the edge so he would project as a 5 tech IMO.

• Options

@Acrum21 said:
    @donm Newcomb is 6'5 255. He doesn't quite have the bend and quick twitch I like for the edge so he would project as a 5 tech IMO.

I'm pretty sure I was joking.

• Options
    JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whatever he is doing it sure is working recently

• Options
    edited May 2018

@JackLattty said:
    Whatever he is doing it sure is working recently

Amen. Now if he can only talk to Folty, we'd be in tall grass.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don’t have to throw 98 to be an effective pitcher. He finally has fastball command. I’ll take 93 with accuracy over 98 and wild all day every day.

• Options

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

Not my OP. I'm serious, it's not just my thinking either.
    You'll find similar thoughts on Youtube.
    The Braves had him alter his mechanics in the minors,but show me a great power pitcher with a long career of dominance who didn't drive through toward the plate with his support leg. As with Maddux it also is repeatable and fosters movement on the ball.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pitching is like real estate. Location, Location, Location...

Grag Maddux and Tom Glavine taught us that.

Also, chicks dig the long ball....

• Options

@BoroDawg said:
    You don’t have to throw 98 to be an effective pitcher. He finally has fastball command. I’ll take 93 with accuracy over 98 and wild all day every day.

He is doing this with mostly his upper body, that rarely works long term. He gets away with it now because he's large and powerful, but Clemens kept his health and power because he used great body mechanics where his power came from the ground up with minimal stress.
    Tom Glavine was 42 before he went of the DL, Maddux spent a grand total of 15 days on the DL over his entire 23 year career. Both pitched with superb and easy mechanics.

• Options

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

Not my OP, I'm not the only person who sees it either.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. His motion looks so lazy. I have no idea how he gets any velocity behind his pitches

• Options

Is lazy the same as “smooth” or “effortless” ?

• Options

@donm said:

Eh not really. He doesn’t really follow through or push off with his back leg that hard. That’s the difference between 93/94 where he is now and 97/98 where he could be with his size

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe he can’t control his 97 mph fastball like his 93 mph because control is much more important than mph in my opinion.
    The other thought is maybe he is not trying to throw 100% percent like most guys do on every pitch in today’s baseball. Where pitchers used to only throw the ball at 70 to 80% which wasn’t his max speed but when he needs the 100% he can get to it.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    Maybe he can’t control his 97 mph fastball like his 93 mph because control is much more important than mph in my opinion.
    The other thought is maybe he is not trying to throw 100% percent like most guys do on every pitch in today’s baseball. Where pitchers used to only throw the ball at 70 to 80% which wasn’t his max speed but when he needs the 100% he can get to it.

Using the back leg to drive through should actually be beneficial to control.
    Just youtube any great power pitcher from Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan to Clemens, they all used similar mechanics.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's the guy's whole problem. His mechanics are still a bit of a mess. His walk rate and strike rate are among the worst in baseball, and his release point on breaking balls is quite a bit different than on his fastball. His changeup is vastly improved for one reason - he brought his release points together for both pitches. Hitters know if the pitch is a breaking ball as soon as he lets go of the ball, and are able to let pitches tail out of the strike zone. He has amazing stuff. If he can bring his release points ts together then he will be unhittable.

• Options

Is lazy the same as “smooth” or “effortless” ?> @judasdurant said:

@donm said:

Eh not really. He doesn’t really follow through or push off with his back leg that hard. That’s the difference between 93/94 where he is now and 97/98 where he could be with his size

The radar gun often shows him throwing in the 96-98 range. I thought I heard the announcers say he's working on throwing "slower" to help his control.

• Options

@donm said:

@donm said:

The radar gun often shows him throwing in the 96-98 range. I thought I heard the announcers say he's working on throwing "slower" to help his control.

I mean control got maddux into cooperstown

• Options
    edited May 2018

@judasdurant said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

I mean control got maddux into cooperstown

Very true, but so did durability. He was on The DL just 15 days in his 23 years in MLB.
    Good mechanics often = durability, Glavine was 42 years old before he spent a day on The DL, he was similar to Maddux mechanically.
    Newcomb puts a crap load of stress on his shoulder and arm because his support leg collapses to where power doesn't transfer well from the ground to his release point.