Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep us on the hook till signing day and then we are stuck without back #2?

Is this a Jimbo move?

• Options
    PanicSpringTour02PanicSpringTour02 Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Despite Burch not coming to Athens, how are we feeling about our chances vs Clemson?

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s certainly not my call and I’m not the one who’s getting paid but Evans to Clayton IMO is a big downgrade. Jeff and others made out like if it wasn’t Evans or bust as Dell could still circle back...if Evans is gone and the Tank/Lloyd ship has really sailed then that sucks IMO.

I’m all in on Milton, have been since Jeff started writing about him last year. But pretty much everything since the Sanders situation has been “no biggie..pick up two elite guys this cycle”. I’m sure that Clayton is a solid back but I don’t see where he’s particularly different from KMac.

As has been pointed out, he’s a top 200 player with offers...though there’s not many players in Louisiana who don’t have an offer from LSU and Bama isn’t close to RBU these days. Is a “solid back” what the Georgia Bulldogs roll with?

If this was on defense no one would question a sigh if we overnight went from the #1 LB in the country to a guy outside the top 10 who you had to look up..js. Still plenty of moving parts: I just don’t like the tea leaves of the recruiting reporters starting to hint at something like “keep an eye on player Y” after a guy falls through. If Jeff has a story on Clayton then it’s a done deal.

• Options
    JayJay Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

I'll never be one to argue that recruiting rankings don't matter, or that just because the occasional 3-star becomes great means that these 5-star misses don't hurt.

But if we are looking for a silver lining on a worst case scenario, our last two big reaches for RBs were Tae Crowder and Brian Herrien. So if we miss on all the big dogs, there's a 50-50 chance we accidentally get our 2025 starting linebacker.

I don't think the staff is comfortable going into 2020 with just Cook, White, McIntosh, and Milton as scholarship RBs, not with the chances that Cook and White leave early. And I have no opinion as to whether Edwards or Todd or Clayton could some day crack the UGA RB rotation.

But if the staff feels like they are depth pieces and little more, I'd much rather them go BPA. in my opinion, Prather Hudson and Sevaughn Clark are both serviceable as #5 backs for a year. Walter Grant has slowly been pushed out of the OLB rotation, and could provide additional depth. Especially with Evan Pryor, Cody Brown, and Lovesea Carroll all possibilities for the 2021 class, in addition to our ability to pull prospects from other states.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2019

Still want Evans but just for kicks...if they end up only having Milton and Wren* in this class because they decide not to (or unable to) flip another elite 2020 RB, how many RB spots do they recruit in the 2021 class? And who would be their targets?

*Note: I know Wren is technically listed as an ATH, but he’s used predominantly as a RB in his current team (31 rushes vs 3 receptions season to date)

**Just saw @Jay ’s post with possible 2021 targets...looks like we posted at the same time

Any others? Specifically interested if the staff has any in mind (if our resident insiders are aware/can share)

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still thinking E J Smith!

• Options
    HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s clear Evans is the top running back on the board and we want him as a part of this class, but he’s a “player” in the process and has been a “player” the entire time and will be one until he finally signs the LOI. We have to accept the ride on his roller coaster and stay even keel as we let his ups and downs roll along. Even with a commitment his ride will continue to go up and down. At the end of day, it’s better not to react to every change and just wait to see where we are when the ride ends knowing we have our first choice, a great stable in the house and the program of choice for so many other great RBs.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great minds think alike. I’ve been told that Dell is actively recruiting E.J. (among others like Daijun Edwards) so we’ll see what happens. He’s a stud - on and off the field.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

like I said when the Evans stuff first broke...

If he comes fine

If he doesn't fine

I trust the staff.

I get all the BPA talk in regards to Evans or bust, but we NEED a 2nd RB.

If we can't flip Chaney, then I'm confident we get Tank.

If we still can't do that, the Clayton is still a great option.

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is some things that worry me. The recruiting of RB’s is not one of them. I’ll be more then pleased if Evans come but if he doesn’t. The sun will still rise in the morning and our coaches have earned the trust in the fanbase to secure what they perceive to be the best fit for our team.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Completely agree. Evans was always going to be a wild recruitment, but I think RBU will stay just that, RBU.

This discussion has been closed.