Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Defensive Line Size

SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

Do we have the size inside to stop the heavy run teams? I feel we will always lack the shut down ability until we have a guy in the middle that’s a rock. Big Jon did well last year but there were times where he was pushed around. I’m thinking a 6’3-6’4 320lbs-330lbs guy, all I see on our roster is a bunch of 285-300 guys.

Comments

• Options
    TomGroseTomGrose Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby wants the inside guys between 290 - 300 pounds

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SWGADAWG said:
    Do we have the size inside to stop the heavy run teams? I feel we will always lack the shut down ability until we have a guy in the middle that’s a rock. Big Jon did well last year but there were times where he was pushed around. I’m thinking a 6’3-6’4 320lbs-330lbs guy, all I see on our roster is a bunch of 285-300 guys.

In today's game those 330lb guys are often liabilities.
    The ideal NT for our needs will be 300lb to 310, he'll be stout, mobile AND have the endurance to stay in the game when offenses go hurry up.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    With hurry up offenses and the fact most teams are using a spread or some sort. They need for a 330 lbs is not needed. Even Kirby said he needs guys who can play 3 downs not just 1 or 2 then come off the field. That’s the reason for the slim down. If this was 15 or so years ago then it’s a different story.

6 years ago Bama was still dominating with huge interior DLs.
    That was then, Kirby re-thought things after OSU beat them in the playoff a few years back.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t see size as a problem at all. Our. One guys are:
    Rochester 317lbs
    Hawkins-Muckle 305lbs
    Jordan Davis 330lbs

Our 3 technique guys are Tyler Clark 300lbs
    Devonte Wyatt 300lbs

We have a few “lighter” 3 techniques in Malik Herring at 270 and Hay Hayes at 285..

It’s not like we are running out 240lb guys.

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    Rochester 317lbs
    Hawkins-Muckle 305lbs
    Jordan Davis 330lbs

Devonte Wyatt 300lbs

We have a few “lighter” 3 techniques in Malik Herring at 270 and Hay Hayes at 285..

I think Davis is closer to 315lb now.

• Options
    Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    Rochester 317lbs
    Hawkins-Muckle 305lbs
    Jordan Davis 330lbs

Devonte Wyatt 300lbs

Just as an FYI, Rochester is at 295lbs right now....and these DLs typically lose some weight during camp.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

I think Davis is closer to 315lb now.

He may even be 295 after practice.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly as has already been said. Kirby wants speed and physicality on the line, not just size. Seeing guys between 250-300 pounds is a lot more common now

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Exactly as has already been said. Kirby wants speed and physicality on the line, not just size. Seeing guys between 250-300 pounds is a lot more common now

So it's not the size of the DL in the fight but the size of the fight in the DL?

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

So it's not the size of the DL in the fight but the size of the fight in the DL?

Yup, Kirby wants a defense that can cause havoc for the spread offenses

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We want quick twitch, penetrating defensive linemen. (Devonte Wyatt is super quick for his size, Travon Walker is an uber athletic big man) Tyler Clark to me is the best example. If he's 1v1 he will win that battle more times than not. He blew up a lot of plays in the backfield last year. How many times did we hear Kirby mention "affecting the QB" gotta have guys that can win 1v1 using speed, strength and leverage that'll be in the backfield all day to force the issue.

• Options
    SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

I get it, but look at bama’s dline and their size, then look at ours. Then look and see who stopped the run better. We need a pocket pusher in the middle.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@SWGADAWG said:
    I get it, but look at bama’s dline and their size, then look at ours. Then look and see who stopped the run better. We need a pocket pusher in the middle.

Da'ron Payne, who wreaked the most havoc against us in the Natty and was drafted 13th overall, weighs in at 308.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    We want quick twitch, penetrating defensive linemen. (Devonte Wyatt is super quick for his size, Travon Walker is an uber athletic big man) Tyler Clark to me is the best example. If he's 1v1 he will win that battle more times than not. He blew up a lot of plays in the backfield last year. How many times did we hear Kirby mention "affecting the QB" gotta have guys that can win 1v1 using speed, strength and leverage that'll be in the backfield all day to force the issue.

We have two guys right now that are problems for offensive lines: Ledbetter and Tyler Clark. And Clark plays with tude. Love that guy.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SWGADAWG said:

According to the dlinemen that have been interviewed ( specifically Rochester) Kirby wants all of his linemen to be in the 295-300 range so they're interchangeable. I think the days of the 330-340 pound NT are over for our defense. I think that's why we didn't push real hard for the big guy that went to FSU last year that everyone wanted to flip (forget his name now).

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@SWGADAWG said:

According to the dlinemen that have been interviewed ( specifically Rochester) Kirby wants all of his linemen to be in the 295-300 range so they're interchangeable. I think the days of the 330-340 pound NT are over for our defense. I think that's why we didn't push real hard for the big guy that went to FSU last year that everyone wanted to flip (forget his name now).

I'll never forget "old what's his name"

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@georgiaboy said:

@SWGADAWG said:

I'll never forget "old what's his name"

Robert Cooper maybe??? I only remember the ones that sign with the Dawgs!

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go to 247 Bama draft history. Da'Ron Payne 308 lb DT, Da'Shawn Hand 288 lb DE, Johnathan Allen 289 DE, Dalvin Tomlinson 305 DT. Yeah UGA has that kind of size RIGHT NOW. The difference is bama has been recruiting that level of talent for over a decade so they are obviously ahead of everyone except clemson when it comes to development. Had Trent Thompson came back I would argue UGA has easily a top 5 D-line. We all are aware of the recent years slip in D-line recruiting but those days are gone with the wind.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A couple years away but 2020 commit Nazir Stackhouse fits the mold of the current trend.

6'4" 280ish and quick!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7883357/5a006dadb019220cf003213d