Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

In other Braves' news, Acuna is playing like the budding superstar he's billed as..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 2018 in General

The kid has 8 homers and 15 RBIs in the past 10 games. He now is 2nd on the team in OPS. His swing has relaxed and it looks as fast and fluid as they come.

Comments

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The ball just sounds different coming off his bat. He hits “screaming mimis”

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s always difficult to live up to the hype, but this kid certainly has. It’s really unbelievable what he’s doing. A core of Acuña, Albies, Freeman, Newcomb, and Folty is pretty tough to beat. Not to mention Riley, Toussaint, Allard, Soroka, Wright, Anderson, and Pache knocking down the door in the minors. The Braves and their young talent are the envy of baseball.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jay_kubzz said:

Even his ground ball singles seem to always be over 100mph. And he seems to have mastered the much lauded
    "launch angle".

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the fact that he was moved to the lead-off spot. His hitting just took off after that change. And with the success with guys in the lower part of the batting order like Camargo and Swanson, it gives the power hitting Acuna numerous RBI opportunities.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's definitely early in his career but he's definitely fun to watch. Future is very bright.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:
    I love the fact that he was moved to the lead-off spot. His hitting just took off after that change. And with the success with guys in the lower part of the batting order like Camargo and Swanson, it gives the power hitting Acuna numerous RBI opportunities.

I'm wondering what it is about hitting leadoff that led to this offensive explosion? Or maybe it had nothing to do with it and he was just ready to get hot? Where is the advanced metric to explain that?

• Options

@BoroDawg said:
    It’s always difficult to live up to the hype, but this kid certainly has. It’s really unbelievable what he’s doing. A core of Acuña, Albies, Freeman, Newcomb, and Folty is pretty tough to beat. Not to mention Riley, Toussaint, Allard, Soroka, Wright, Anderson, and Pache knocking down the door in the minors. The Braves and their young talent are the envy of baseball.

We're still thin at the plate. We got production from players early in the season who have already faded back into mediocrity. Long term starting pitching and several positions seem strong, but it's still a team in development.

• Options

@donm said:

@jay_kubzz said:

Even his ground ball singles seem to always be over 100mph. And he seems to have mastered the much lauded
    "launch angle".

Launch angle is a nerd too far in analysis of hitting.
    It means nothing over a sample size large enough to evaluate statistically.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Acuna Matata! No worries! :D

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Acuna is leading the ratio APHRB / UAFB (attractiveness of the women who get your homerun balls / unattractiveness of the day guys who get your foul balls ratio). Seriously, I’m old enough when I remember it was runs scored, SB, HR and batting average you used to measure players. Now there are 197 metrics used to track players. On Acuna, cool that he set the Braves mark for games with consecutive HRs and also leading off a game with HR (three days in a row). If I were the Marlins, I’d open up the game by walking him.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@greshamdisco said:
    Acuna is leading the ratio APHRB / UAFB (attractiveness of the women who get your homerun balls / unattractiveness of the day guys who get your foul balls ratio). Seriously, I’m old enough when I remember it was runs scored, SB, HR and batting average you used to measure players. Now there are 197 metrics used to track players. On Acuna, cool that he set the Braves mark for games with consecutive HRs and also leading off a game with HR (three days in a row). If I were the Marlins, I’d open up the game by walking him.

Some metrics make obvious sense, OPS being at the top, some like ''launch angle'' probably have value in projecting prospects and clearly do in training, but are completely incidental ( useless) in evaluating actual production.

• Options

@donm said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

I'm wondering what it is about hitting leadoff that led to this offensive explosion? Or maybe it had nothing to do with it and he was just ready to get hot? Where is the advanced metric to explain that?

Some lineup positions like 3rd are somewhat dependent on the next hitter to get pitches to hit. Leadoff seems more about comfort level, some thrive there while others shrink from it.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

Some metrics make obvious sense, OPS being at the top, some like ''launch angle'' probably have value in projecting prospects and clearly do in training, but are completely incidental ( useless) in evaluating actual production.

There’s a reason organizations are embracing fly balls!

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

I’m glad you will never work in the Braves FO haha. There’s a reason organizations are embracing fly balls!

Yea bc they keep building the parks smaller and smaller

• Options

https://www.fangraphs.com/library/pitching/batted-ball/

Scroll down and check out the stats for the league in 2014 on offensive numbers for grounders liners and fly balls!

• Options
    stubbornthingstubbornthing Posts: 119 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wrong place. Not every Dawg fan is a Braves fan. Please take this somewhere else.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like he's gotten better at taking pitches that are out of the strike zone since he moved to lead off spot. Earlier in the season, he was swinging at too bad pitches, and then taking too many third strikes. He's locked in right now, not swinging at bad pitches, and not missing one's that are in his zone.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

Hey this is actually true I think @WCDawg! Launch angle doesn’t affect any outcome dependent stats like OBP OPS or WRC+. But yeah teams look at it for training, like saying hey you need to elevate your batted balls more let’s make a swing adjustment.

We agree on something!

• Options

@MODawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

I’m glad you will never work in the Braves FO haha. There’s a reason organizations are embracing fly balls!

Yea bc they keep building the parks smaller and smaller

Also the ball is juiced, some of yesterday's fly ball outs are now home runs.
    Then you have PEDs, which will never be completely vanquished from MLB.The ''ha ha'' child doesn't understand the point anyway. My point is angle of trajectory is not a real stat anymore than when a player's front foot comes down is a stat. It can be a teaching tool, but when you have actual results from a player it's just background info.