Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

In other Braves' news, Acuna is playing like the budding superstar he's billed as..

124»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:
    I like the lower part of the batting order: Camargo, Suzuki, and Swanson. And Acuna is on fire. How many points has he raised his BA since returning from that injury?
    Overall good team with some bright new starting pitchers. But I'm worried about Newcomb.

To me hitting comes down to a couple of stats for the most part.
    Slugging percentage and on base percentage. They are combined to give us a player's OPS.
    That tells you a player is both getting on base at a high rate and hitting for power, which is pretty much what creates runs.
    Angle of trajectory, angle of dangle, whatever means nothing bottom line wise.

And, for a minute, Acuna’s OPS had risen above Freeman’s and dropped back. It’s still well above the league average which I think was about .750 last time I checked. I also like RBIs and runs scored added together. It’s a lesser known metric that I think I just thought of. lol

After 3 innings tonight Acuna has a .930 OPS to FF's .927...this is war to the death.

Hope they battle out for another month.

Yep, a little intra-team OPS duel to the death ( or the end of the season, whichever comes first) would be fun to watch.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:
    I like the lower part of the batting order: Camargo, Suzuki, and Swanson. And Acuna is on fire. How many points has he raised his BA since returning from that injury?
    Overall good team with some bright new starting pitchers. But I'm worried about Newcomb.

To me hitting comes down to a couple of stats for the most part.
    Slugging percentage and on base percentage. They are combined to give us a player's OPS.
    That tells you a player is both getting on base at a high rate and hitting for power, which is pretty much what creates runs.
    Angle of trajectory, angle of dangle, whatever means nothing bottom line wise.

And, for a minute, Acuna’s OPS had risen above Freeman’s and dropped back. It’s still well above the league average which I think was about .750 last time I checked. I also like RBIs and runs scored added together. It’s a lesser known metric that I think I just thought of. lol

After 3 innings tonight Acuna has a .930 OPS to FF's .927...this is war to the death.

A WAR to death. I see what you did there!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Current OPS ratings

Acuna .926
    Freeman .925

This could get bloody.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These young Braves players are not just good but are fun to watch.... they have fun on the field and in the dugout. Don’t know how the end of the season will go but they are ahead of schedule and should be even better next year.