Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN stirring the pot

VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

eh, their headline was a little misleading. It was more about if those guys can do it and what their backgrounds are like.

also wondering how long before Kirby gets a muzzle on Pablo Fields

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey guys, imma generate some clicks.

1) hold my beer
    2) watch this

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    eh, their headline was a little misleading. It was more about if those guys can do it and what their backgrounds are like.

Why does Kirby need a muzzle on Pablo Fields? How were his comments in anyway an issue? This is a lot to do about nothing, all he did was state the obvious. It wasn’t like the Rod situation.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@bigdawg2223 said:

@Kasey said:

Why does Kirby need a muzzle on Pablo Fields? How were his comments in anyway an issue? This is a lot to do about nothing, all he did was state the obvious. It wasn’t like the Rod situation.

Did the same thing with the Fromms last year

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Idk about clemson or bama..im more concerned about 2 other qds. Fields and Fromm and who is going to start for us.

Its there job to get people to read the article. Mission accomplished. Haha

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Lawrence a mobile QB? I am asking, because it seems like Clemson's system is more suited for one. The one year they tried a non-mobile QB, it wasn't a great season for them. That was 2014, when Stoudt was the starter and Watson was his back-up. Watson came in the game against us and went right down the field for a TD. I was thinking that Dabo was a moron for not leaving him in.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    Is Lawrence a mobile QB? I am asking, because it seems like Clemson's system is more suited for one. The one year they tried a non-mobile QB, it wasn't a great season for them. That was 2014, when Stoudt was the starter and Watson was his back-up. Watson came in the game against us and went right down the field for a TD. I was thinking that Dabo was a moron for not leaving him in.

He's Peyton Manning with legs. Or at least that's what some of the delusional Clemson fans will tell you. He's plenty mobile, though.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

I think he’s like a 4.6 type in the 40.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@UnderDog68 said:

He's plenty mobile in his HS film, but he'll get broken in two in big boy ball.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    They made it sound like the reason Saban put Tua in in the NCG was just an it factor/momentum thing. They don’t even mention Jalen had a reputation as not a great passer, and Bama obviously needed to pass more if they were going to win.

And they don’t mention Cam Newton got in trouble at Florida and that is why he transferred. They just make it sound like even though Cam was probably better, Tebow was already beloved, so Cam had to leave.

When they started making a big deal out of Trevor Lawrence’s long hair, I couldn’t take it any more. It was like they had decided, “meh, if these jokers have read this far...” I had to stop reading.

I’m convinced there are somethings in our culture big company’s do better. And other things small company’s do better. Things that don’t require a lot of intelligence, like stocking rows and rows of shelves, big companies do better. There’s is no reason to start a Mom & Pop Walmart. Just let the giant corporations do that. But things that require more intelligence, like fixing your car when something goes wrong, no way in hell I’ll ever go back into a chain for work like that. Those guys used to rip me off every time I’d go into one. And I’ve about decided journalism is just one of those things that require too much intelligence for a large corporation to do well.

Like I understand DawgNation.com is owned by a large corporation, Cox. But the 4 journalists we see most of on the web site seem to make not all, but most of the decisions. And I think that’s a big part of why we get a better product here. It’s just a smaller group of people making decisions.

Great points on Cam Newton. It would be great if a reporter would ask him about this story and then Blind Side him with a question about the laptop he stole.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GrayDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

He's Peyton Manning with legs. Or at least that's what some of the delusional Clemson fans will tell you. He's plenty mobile, though.

As far as high school football players go he dominated the way peyton dominated the NFL. Keep in mind he was (debatably) a better prospect than fields. I personally think he’s more of an Andrew luck type. He’s gonna be really, really good. His 4 years of tape backs it up.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GrayDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Lawrence had the highest QB rating in 247's composite rankings history, Fields was just behind him in 2nd place.
    I don't think it quite qualifies as delusional of Clemson fans. It is **** ambitious of them though.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@GrayDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

As far as high school football players go he dominated the way peyton dominated the NFL. Keep in mind he was (debatably) a better prospect than fields. I personally think he’s more of an Andrew luck type. He’s gonna be really, really good. His 4 years of tape backs it up.

Physically Lawrence is an anomaly. He looks more like a basketball player than a QB. He was amazing in what Ron Jaworski calls ''anticipatory accuracy'' in high school though. The kid can throw to a spot before his receiver has made his cut.

• Options

@judasdurant said:

@GrayDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

No doubt he'll be a good player. He throws a pretty ball, is mobile, and from what I hear is a fierce competitor.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lawrence is different than any QB I've ever seen. He has as much Matt Jones (Arkansas '05) in him as he does Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Big arm like Luck, and accuracy like Manning, but he's not as much of a pocket passer as those guys. He's tall/long/lean and mobile like Matt Jones was, though not quite as fast. (Jones ran a 4.37 at the NFL combine, which is partly why he was converted to WR). Lawrence rolls out more often than not, but still looks to pass rather than take off running. He was a man among boys in HS, but to @VALDOSTADAWG's point, he might get broken in two if he runs around too much in college (given his build). Will be interesting to see how he turns out. For my part, I'm glad we have Fields.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@GrayDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Lawrence had the highest QB rating in 247's composite rankings history, Fields was just behind him in 2nd place.
    I don't think it quite qualifies as delusional of Clemson fans. It is **** ambitious of them though.

Maybe delusional is the wrong word. I think he probably has a stronger arm than Peyton did and he's clearly a better runner than Peyton was. It's what Peyton had between the ears that set him apart. Hard to say anybody coming out of high school is going to adjust to the game mentally like that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawrence have a great college career by any means, though.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn’t Trevor Lawrence get picked off multiple times in the Army All Star game???

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:
    Lawrence is different than any QB I've ever seen. He has as much Matt Jones (Arkansas '05) in him as he does Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Big arm like Luck, and accuracy like Manning, but he's not as much of a pocket passer as those guys. He's tall/long/lean and mobile like Matt Jones was, though not quite as fast. (Jones ran a 4.37 at the NFL combine, which is partly why he was converted to WR). Lawrence rolls out more often than not, but still looks to pass rather than take off running. He was a man among boys in HS, but to @VALDOSTADAWG's point, he might get broken in two if he runs around too much in college (given his build). Will be interesting to see how he turns out. For my part, I'm glad we have Fields.

I love Fields more than most people do. I would’ve been happy with either one. Honestly if we had Lawrence their might have been less of a debate for who the starter would be because him and fromm have such similar skill sets

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Didn’t Trevor Lawrence get picked off multiple times in the Army All Star game???

Yep. He also had a bad playoff game when Cartersville was eliminated last year in the third round.