Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I need tech help, I'm buying a 4K smart tv in the morning....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 2018 in General

, I currently have Sling but I need CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox for football broadcast, so I'll switch to something like YouTube tv.
My question. Will I need a device such as Chromecast or Roku4 to access a 4K signal, or will a new 4K smart tv have the capability built into it ?

I'll hang up and listen.

Comments

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I imagine your TV will have the capability to run YouTube TV built in. I know for my 4K tv that as long as your internet can handle the streaming, YouTube app on the smart tv will stream 4K. If you use a chrome cast, there’s a particular one you can get that can do 4K.

I’m not sure if that answered your question or not though to be honest.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@umooner said:
    I imagine your TV will have the capability to run YouTube TV built in. I know for my 4K tv that as long as your internet can handle the streaming, YouTube app on the smart tv will stream 4K. If you use a chrome cast, there’s a particular one you can get that can do 4K.

I'll ask the right questions before pick the tv, but you know some sales people will make it up if they don't know the answers.

@WCDawg said:

@umooner said:

I'll ask the right questions before pick the tv, but you know some sales people will make it up if they don't know the answers.

Lol, yeah definitely.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most smart TVs have your YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other apps installed already. Or worst case they have an App Store type service. I will say in my past experience that you probably are going to be a bit better off/well known brand such as Samsung or another of the big makers. You’re probably going to need to update firmware and apps at some point and the big companies are better at continuing to support their products than say a lesser known brand that you might get at Costco or such.

@scooterdawg said:
    Most smart TVs have your YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other apps installed already. Or worst case they have an App Store type service. I will say in my past experience that you probably are going to be a bit better off/well known brand such as Samsung or another of the big makers. You’re probably going to need to update firmware and apps at some point and the big companies are better at continuing to support their products than say a lesser known brand that you might get at Costco or such.

I'm looking at a 4K with built in Chromecast, since Google owns YouTube I'm thinking they should be very compatible.

Oh yeah, thanks for the help folks.

@WCDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

I'm looking at a 4K with built in Chromecast, since Google owns YouTube I'm thinking they should be very compatible.

I mean it’s seems intuitive, but I’d just ask if the chrome cast built in supports 4K. I think you’ll be good with that. I’ve found Chromecast to be pretty great and easy to use. Even if YouTube TV isn’t on the tv itself, you should be able to cast it from a smart phone or computer easily.

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

I mean it’s seems intuitive, but I’d just ask if the chrome cast built in supports 4K. I think you’ll be good with that. I’ve found Chromecast to be pretty great and easy to use. Even if YouTube TV isn’t on the tv itself, you should be able to cast it from a smart phone or computer easily.

My laptop has a 1080i screen, that part I'm reasonably familiar with, the 4K part is new. I'm sure you're correct though. I expect all I'll need is the tv and a good HDMI cable.

@WCDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

My laptop has a 1080i screen, that part I'm reasonably familiar with, the 4K part is new. I'm sure you're correct though. I expect all I'll need is the tv and a good HDMI cable.

With chromecast you won’t even need the cable, you just need to be on your internet connection. I do think with an hdmi cable that supports 4K, you wouldn’t even need the chrome cast though.

Regardless, sounds like your set!

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC you can always keep your Sling (assuming you have the sports package) and buy a flat tv antenna. Lets you get local channels easily. I brought one that you cant even see.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Fwiw, I love these:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r617-2018-roku-tv-review/

Great value. Built in Roku means it has YouTube TV, PSVue, Hulu, Netflix, etc all on one remote. I have PSVue as I like the interface a little better than YoutubeTV. You don't have to have a PlayStation to get it.

I also have an antenna like @Thelordjohnson suggests. I don't strictly need it, but I also have a Tablo DVR which records and streams OTA stuff and makes it available on your network instead of having to run coax to all the TVs.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited August 2018

You may also wanna try getting a digital antenna. My roommate has one that goes thru his xbox. It’s how I watch sec on cbs and all the other local channels. Then you can keep sling (which is cheaper). Just my two cents

Also...digital antenna works on any tv. Don’t necessarily need an xbox

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Thelordjohnson said:
    For Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC you can always keep your Sling (assuming you have the sports package) and buy a flat tv antenna. Lets you get local channels easily. I brought one that you cant even see.

What sort of range do you have to have? How close to the broadcast tower does it require? I am looking to cut the cord on the cable co., but I live well outside the metro area. They just keep going up every year or two and the quality of their product gets worse year over year (Spectrum--I think that is the Latin for S_U_C_K_S).

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@BigGAdawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

What sort of range do you have to have? How close to the broadcast tower does it require? I am looking to cut the cord on the cable co., but I live well outside the metro area. They just keep going up every year or two and the quality of their product gets worse year over year (Spectrum--I think that is the Latin for S_U_C_K_S).

Https://antennaweb.org/Address

This site allows you to put in your specific address and it will tell you what channels and signal strength to expect for a given antenna type.

It will show you a map with directions of tower locations so you can point a directional antenna.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    , I currently have Sling but I need CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox for football broadcast, so I'll switch to something like YouTube tv.
    My question. Will I need a device such as Chromecast or Roku4 to access a 4K signal, or will a new 4K smart tv have the capability built into it ?

I'll hang up and listen.

I just bought a Samsung 55” 4K TV over 4th of July weekend and signed up for 3 months of Directv Now and got a free Apple TV 4K, which is just like a Roku or Chromecast. It’s like sling but you get all the local stations and they have great options if you want to add more channels (we have the basic). So far I love it, they added 20 hours of free DVR which is really nice, and we get

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've purchased two 50" 4K Smart Insignia from Best Buy on sale for ~ $280 and love them. Insignia TVs are made for BestBuy by Samsung so they are good quality and they have Ruku built in. The key to 4K content though is that you have to have at least 35-40MB constant throughput to support it. If your internet connection cannot handle that, they don't waste the money on a 4K TV.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

stand alones ie roku...have been in the game longer than the combo pack deal...plus if it goes out...just buy a new one...

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

I suggest you at least consider Vizio. Fairly inexpensive and ~ feature rich. Has Smartcast (Chromecast new name?) + built in I think.

https://vizio.com/tv-overview

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Vizio for my back deck has Smartcast and I love it....

@moos said:
    Fwiw, I love these:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r617-2018-roku-tv-review/

Great value. Built in Roku means it has YouTube TV, PSVue, Hulu, Netflix, etc all on one remote. I have PSVue as I like the interface a little better than YoutubeTV. You don't have to have a PlayStation to get it.

I also have an antenna like @Thelordjohnson suggests. I don't strictly need it, but I also have a Tablo DVR which records and streams OTA stuff and makes it available on your network instead of having to run coax to all the TVs.

Thanks, I live too far from Atlanta for antennas to work well, but I'll look into Roku tv.