Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I need tech help, I'm buying a 4K smart tv in the morning....

13»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Well I bought a Vizio. The thing won't connect to my Belkin router. In fact it shuts my router signal down, even to my laptop. The Indian named Mike at Vizio tech support kept telling me it's the router, no, the router works fine till I try to connect it to the pos tv.
    I just don't have the patience to pay for something only to spend my weekend trying to get it to work.

My money is on the router as being the issue. Suggest you unplug the router and press whatever start button there is a fe times in order to discharge any residual power traces/static electricity. Then try to connect the TV. I had to enter my stuff manually on the newer one until I got the newest FiOS router.

If your router is older than perhaps 5-6 years, you'll likely have a problem. Plus distance/obstructions to line of sight can be a problem. When they work its wonderbar. Getting there is another matter.

I've done all of those things in an hour long phone session with a Vizio tech.
    The router sits 12 ft from the tv and is unobstructed.
    It's not an issue that has affected using the router for my laptop, it's been very stable for over a year.
    I was given the router by a brother in law so it's age isn't known. The tech suggested the router was being overloaded, so I shut down the computer before trying the tv again, same result, it's only the tv that causes it to shut down.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Well I bought a Vizio. The thing won't connect to my Belkin router. In fact it shuts my router signal down, even to my laptop. The Indian named Mike at Vizio tech support kept telling me it's the router, no, the router works fine till I try to connect it to the pos tv.
    I just don't have the patience to pay for something only to spend my weekend trying to get it to work.

My money is on the router as being the issue. Suggest you unplug the router and press whatever start button there is a fe times in order to discharge any residual power traces/static electricity. Then try to connect the TV. I had to enter my stuff manually on the newer one until I got the newest FiOS router.

If your router is older than perhaps 5-6 years, you'll likely have a problem. Plus distance/obstructions to line of sight can be a problem. When they work its wonderbar. Getting there is another matter.

I've done all of those things in an hour long phone session with a Vizio tech.
    The router sits 12 ft from the tv and is unobstructed.
    It's not an issue that has affected using the router for my laptop, it's been very stable for over a year.
    I was given the router by a brother in law so it's age isn't known. The tech suggested the router was being overloaded, so I shut down the computer before trying the tv again, same result, it's only the tv that causes it to shut down.

That sucks. I’m a nerd when it comes to wanting the latest tech so I’d be pissed too if I shelled out money for something new and it didn’t work properly. Sadly, most tech support is not only farmed out to companies that have people who don’t use English as a first language, but they often don’t have much training and go by a checklist. Hence every time you call for support they tell you to do stuff that is completely obvious such as restarting whatever device, resetting stuff such as a router, or anything that they can do to try to make it seem like it’s not THEIR hardware that’s not working.

It certainly could be your router. Or it could just as easily be that they have rather weak firmware/software. I’d imagine that you’re not the first to have this problem. You shouldn’t have to call a tech guy to get something to work properly right out of the box. You probably could mess around with the router settings and maybe get it to work but if someone is not sure how to do that they can just as easily mess up the settings completely and have to start from scratch on something that was already working fine.

Sadly while my mom’s vizio looks good to me and she’s fine with it because she never has to mess with it(that’s my job as an only child apparently lol), I’ve been annoyed with its interface the few times I’ve had to mess with it. When tech companies are looking to save money to lower the price on something, tech support is often one of the corners they cut. I’d look online for your model and see if anyone else is having the same problem and has a solution, which I’m sure you probably already have. Best of luck.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Make sure it says "TV" and not a "home theater display." The latter has no TV tuner....

• Options

@BullyDawg said:
    Make sure it says "TV" and not a "home theater display." The latter has no TV tuner....

It's a tv. I did a bit of research and it get's high marks for the money.
    I called Belkin's tech support and it appears I need an AC-1200 type router. I'll have to drive to Cedartown and pick one up in a bit. If that doesn't work I'll return both the tv and router, the money will go towards my Oct. vacation.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

I called Belkin's tech support and it appears I need an AC-1200 type router. I'll have to drive to Cedartown and pick one up in a bit. If that doesn't work I'll return both the tv and router, the money will go towards my Oct. vacation.

The newer smart TVs require updated router capability. I'm not techie enough to know the details and quite willing to forget the mini-agony of getting mine set up. Don't know if you still have the Vizio, but the easiest way to get it set up is by downloading the phone app and following instructions. I actually couldn't get that done with my old router, and had to go manual entry (i forget details), but once I got the new router the phone app method was pretty simple. BTW, I would go through the process of updating the new router (firmware) if that is offered to you. Then try connecting the TV and then update that.

Good luck on all that follows.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You might need a dual band router. Not a bad thing if you don’t have one.

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BullyDawg said:

The newer smart TVs require updated router capability. I'm not techie enough to know the details and quite willing to forget the mini-agony of getting mine set up. Don't know if you still have the Vizio, but the easiest way to get it set up is by downloading the phone app and following instructions. I actually couldn't get that done with my old router, and had to go manual entry (i forget details), but once I got the new router the phone app method was pretty simple. BTW, I would go through the process of updating the new router (firmware) if that is offered to you. Then try connecting the TV and then update that.

Good luck on all that follows.

You're correct and I hope a new router solves the problem, if not I'm done with the project, I'll return both tv and router, the money will go into my vacation fund.
    I have limited patience with this sort of thing. When something meant purely for entertainment becomes a chore, it loses it's value in my life.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Update us on the router. I am wondering if you get better speeds.

Definitely go the dual band route.

• Options

@Reeldawg said:
    Update us on the router. I am wondering if you get better speeds.

Definitely go the dual band route.

I will, my butt got stuck to my recliner seat or I'd of already picked it up.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Streaming video is the most bandwidth intensive we do these days. Browsing web sites pales in comparison to the amount of network bandwidth used by stream video.

And WC isn’t just streaming regular video. He’s not even streaming just HD video @ 1080i. He’s streaming 4K video.

Getting the new router is definitely worth trying. A new router that can handle more bandwidth.

It may be easier just to buy the new router and see if it works. But one thing you could do is lower the resolution on the TV down to something more easily manageable by routers, down to something like 720p. And see if your old router can stream content of that resolution to the TV. But it may not be worth messing with. It may be easier just to go get the new router and see if it works.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're still having problems, might be worth posting the model numbers of your router and TV. People would be ablento give you specific advice then.

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you went 4K, I hope you spent the extra bucks for an OLED screen. It's definitely worth it.