Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Grayson players stage walkout

2»

Comments

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Wanted to get y'all's opinion on this. BA mentioned it on the Podcast today. Nearly all the players walked out on practice in an attempt to get the Head Coach fired, because of practice conditions. Their season doesn't start until next Friday, but this is a terrible look for a top 10 nationally ranked high school football team.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

The clear potential for something like this to become a trend is why I started the thread about one of our players waving off a coach, now we've seen reports of a second player pushing back when asked to work harder.
    The situation at Maryland combined with the general trend of youth questioning authority has the potential to be very disruptive to programs.

Without giving too much of myself away, I'm 62 and after shutting down my contracting business I decided to take a part time job. I was hired by a well known retail operation. I quickly learned some of the young employees were spoiled brats and management pandered to them. When a 23 year old man ( boy really) kept avoiding work I explained to him that I wasn't going to do both my job and his. The manager called me in and asked what I said to the punk, I was told the baby was almost in tears. I was given a ''verbal warning'', which oddly enough was written into my work record.
    I finished my shift and after sleeping on it I went in the next day, told the manager he was pandering to brats and ruining them to society and quit the job.

The good old verbal warning. Love these. The verbal warning always ends up in your file in the form of a written note or email documenting the warning. This is always the first check mark in your file when a manager and HR desire to cut you loose. Had you stayed, you would have been barraged with written warnings which would have ultimately led to your final written warning then termination. The cherry on top would have been the perp walk to the front door in front of your colleagues while you are carrying a small box with your personal effects. Seen it many times.

Good thing you quit before you were unconditionally released.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Wanted to get y'all's opinion on this. BA mentioned it on the Podcast today. Nearly all the players walked out on practice in an attempt to get the Head Coach fired, because of practice conditions. Their season doesn't start until next Friday, but this is a terrible look for a top 10 nationally ranked high school football team.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

The clear potential for something like this to become a trend is why I started the thread about one of our players waving off a coach, now we've seen reports of a second player pushing back when asked to work harder.
    The situation at Maryland combined with the general trend of youth questioning authority has the potential to be very disruptive to programs.

Without giving too much of myself away, I'm 62 and after shutting down my contracting business I decided to take a part time job. I was hired by a well known retail operation. I quickly learned some of the young employees were spoiled brats and management pandered to them. When a 23 year old man ( boy really) kept avoiding work I explained to him that I wasn't going to do both my job and his. The manager called me in and asked what I said to the punk, I was told the baby was almost in tears. I was given a ''verbal warning'', which oddly enough was written into my work record.
    I finished my shift and after sleeping on it I went in the next day, told the manager he was pandering to brats and ruining them to society and quit the job.

The good old verbal warning. Love these. The verbal warning always ends up in your file in the form of a written note or email documenting the warning. This is always the first check mark in your file when a manager and HR desire to cut you loose. Had you stayed, you would have been barraged with written warnings which would have ultimately led to your final written warning then termination. The cherry on top would have been the perp walk to the front door in front of your colleagues while you are carrying a small box with your personal effects. Seen it many times.

Good thing you quit before you were unconditionally released.

So. that makes you a free agent, right? Hope you can find a good deal out there!!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoroDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

WC, who was the second player pushing back?

I wasn't the one who first posted about him and I can't recall who it was at this moment.

• Options

@PTDawg said:
    According to the article the players were upset about going full contact in shorts and no pads. I can see where that might not be the best idea. I agree with many of the points being made in this thread, though, in terms of work ethic.

It also makes me wonder where were the parents, other coaches, trainers, etc that it got to this point? How did it get all the way to a planned team walk out?

I find it extremely doubtful they went full contact in shorts. Rugby players don't go full contact because human nature and training informs them they would cripple each other rather quickly. I'm betting it's a big exaggeration inspired by the Maryland situation and the general feminization of our society.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since I haven’t been able to post in a few days, at least it saved my draft... The main concern seems to be they didn’t have their leg pads on, since they were in shorts, and were going full contact. I think I’d just ask to go put pants and leg pads on and come back. I’m assuming there’s more to the story, or they just don’t like their coach.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Teddy said:
    Since I haven’t been able to post in a few days, at least it saved my draft... The main concern seems to be they didn’t have their leg pads on, since they were in shorts, and were going full contact. I think I’d just ask to go put pants and leg pads on and come back. I’m assuming there’s more to the story, or they just don’t like their coach.

The coach prior to the current one, Jeff Herron, was golden. Big shoes to fill. Not sure the current guy measures up the his predecessor. That guy is a HOF coach (at least in HS). I can see the players saying "we did it this way when coach Herron was here and we won a state title doing it his way".

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    These high-profile teams....aren’t there all kinds of parents, scouts and others pretty much at every practice?

Sadly the parents might not intervene unless it was something obviously detrimental to their kids. From pretty much devouring anything college football from QB1(the Martell kid whose parents moved the whole family to Vegas for him to go to a private version of Grayson) to a story I read yesterday about the next supposed USC big time QB(his parents had him repeat a grade to be ready for high school ball and he skipped his whole senior year to be able to go to USC early), and many others, the parents are not always seemingly looking out for their kids in a way I’d personally think I would if I had a kid.

With Grayson allegedly recruiting players in shady ways with the full knowledge of their families, I’d not be surprised if a lot of these parents are a bit too wrapped up in their kids’ football lives, and might have the just **** it up and you’ll get a good college offer frame of mind. Or they could be just entitled kids, also probably due in part to their parents making their lives all about football.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

The coach prior to the current one, Jeff Herron, was golden. Big shoes to fill. Not sure the current guy measures up the his predecessor. That guy is a HOF coach (at least in HS). I can see the players saying "we did it this way when coach Herron was here and we won a state title doing it his way".

Herron has been ultra successful in a least 3 high schools now. He left Grayson for a higher paying HC job in SC and immediately turned it around. Interestingly Herron was the 2nd straight Grayson HC to leave for a position in South Carolina. Micky Conn took a job as Clemson's DB coach.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    According to the article the players were upset about going full contact in shorts and no pads. I can see where that might not be the best idea. I agree with many of the points being made in this thread, though, in terms of work ethic.

It also makes me wonder where were the parents, other coaches, trainers, etc that it got to this point? How did it get all the way to a planned team walk out?

We “popped” in shells. No bottom pads. You just weren’t allowed to tackle to the ground. It was awesome when we were only in shells.

They “popping” in shells or actual playing football?

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

scooterdawg

Sadly the parents might not intervene unless it was something obviously detrimental to their kids.

That’s how it is supposed to be. One problem with kids are the parents who DO intervene when they shouldnt.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

scooterdawg

Sadly the parents might not intervene unless it was something obviously detrimental to their kids.

That’s how it is supposed to be. One problem with kids are the parents who DO intervene when they shouldnt.

Was just thinking if there was any serious abuse or something truly unsafe going on, a parent would likely say something. Maybe it’s just a generation of kids who think they are in charge and when things get uncomfortable they believe they have the power to demand change.

• Options
    RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I’m the coach those that walked could keep walking, I wouldn’t care if I went 0-10

• Options

@RDDawg said:
    If I’m the coach those that walked could keep walking, I wouldn’t care if I went 0-10

Where would you look for your next job after 0-10?

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't seem to have caused that many problems....They beat the crap out of Tucker over the weekend.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RDDawg said:

I agree. Bet a lot of talent wouldn’t do it again. And some scholarships forfeited.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Isn't this the high school that pappoe attends and we don't get any commits from? If it is, then I'm happy we don't have these kids coming looks like a problem. Kirby and the rest of us don't need selfish mutiny brewing in the locker room. Just locker room banter GATA

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heck they can't even practice if it's too hot outside (wet bulb temp) just think about that for a sec... kids don't even understand how good they have it.

• Options
    NYCVolunteerNYCVolunteer Posts: 193 ✭ Freshman

Mods, when will my ban be lifted?