Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Replacing Mel Tucker

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we all know that the coordinator/coach we are most likely to lose in the future is Mel Tucker. My question is this: looking ahead, who would be the best hire and fit if you could get most anyone to come?

I think the best scenario would actually be to grab Muschamp if it was a possibility in a year or two and USCjr fans ran him off.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill Beilichek

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Glenn Schumann

Schumann at some point, but he's 28 years old, will he be ready ? I think he'll take the path Kirby took and work his way up to a HC job.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
  • Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Bill Beilichek

Hahaha. Why people are even listing other names blows my mind.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Will Muschamp

He would be a great choice. I don't think South Carolina is dumb enough to let him go. He is the only coach in the SEC east winning any recruiting battles with CKS. Going forward he is going to be CMR level coach which will make South Carolina a relevant program.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@oldon42 said:

@Kasey said:
    Will Muschamp

He would be a great choice. I don't think South Carolina is dumb enough to let him go. He is the only coach in the SEC east winning any recruiting battles with CKS. Going forward he is going to be CMR level coach which will make South Carolina a relevant program.

Probably. But you never know how restless people might get after four years

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Glenn Schumann

Nailed it

• Options
    BigDawg279BigDawg279 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Think about this for a second. Why would you want to leave UGA? For money? Ego? The desire to be a HC? These guys are getting paid and paid well. They don't seem to have a huge ego (ie Pruitt, Kiffin, etc). They are more in the mold of CKS himself. He was an assistant for many years until the perfect situation set up for his dream job. I just don't see any of our assistants like that. They can stay at UGA and make tons of money while being very successful or they can try it on their own and end up like Pruitt, Kiffin, or even Mullen.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Personally I’m hoping Mel Tucker winds up being out Brent Venables or Kirby Smart. Just wait until the perfect job comes along. Then Schu in 3-5 years can slide in

I believe Mel has a couple older kids, it would need to be the perfect fit for him to uproot them once more

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Glenn Schumann

What do people see ^^ No agenda, just asking.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not thinking Coach Tucker is going to just leave for a head coaching job at Ga Southern (example). On money, he already makes more than a lot of D-1 head coaches. A natty or two and he can pick and choose. Get back to me in 2020 on this.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I think we all know that the coordinator/coach we are most likely to lose in the future is Mel Tucker. My question is this: looking ahead, who would be the best hire and fit if you could get most anyone to come?

I think the best scenario would actually be to grab Muschamp if it was a possibility in a year or two and USCjr fans ran him off.

Your thoughts?

I have often heard it said and believe it could be true that really good head coaches keep a short list of candidates they would like as replacements when assistants leave, as the invariably due. I would be surprised if Kirby doesn't have such a list sitting in his desk drawer as I write this.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    Kirby knows he's going to lose dudes. I imagine he's thought ahead. His hires have been on the money so far, don't think UGA will miss a beat. Who wouldn't want to coach the talent Kirby has? He will get "pick of the litter" when some of the coaches go. IMO.

Losing Tucker to a HC position is expected. If Schumann were to take a DC job at another school it would be a big loss though.
    He is Kirby's right hand man, a great recruiter and he's proving to be a hell of a position coach. If there is a future Kirby Smart on staff, he's it.