Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brunswick Stew

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:
    The pictures came out backwards

lookin mighty fine, backwards, upside down or inverted.

Thanks my man! I pride myself in my Brunswick stew

Well..., I bet you cannot write out your Brunswick Stew recipe in an Off-Topic post RIGHT NOW! Can YOU?

I remember promising you a version of the recipe a few weeks ago. The goal is to have it posted I’m on Friday. It won’t be exactly like the family recipe, but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

The stew is all about preference anyhow

Thanks I apologize for missing your promise. Looking forward to it..

No worries or apologies necessary. It slipped my mind, but I will get it in for ya

• Options

@Bulldawg90 said:
    Holy smoked brisket, that looks really good!

Thanks my man!

• Options

@allyw said:
    @JRT812 you bringing that to the game Saturday? If so, your forum friends want some!!!

Haha no I won’t. However. If you’re ever in middle TN you will have some bbq and a drink on me for sure

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If no one has ever tried it, I strongly suggest smoking your stew in a cast iron pot on the smoker

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@JayDog said:
    @JRT812 that is a good looking stew. I've never made Brunswick stew. Being stuck in the great white north, no one makes it either. Been looking for a recipe. Would you consider sharing yours?

Hang out my man. I have something for ya. I can’t give away the family recipe but I will get ya pointed in the right direction. Also, come back to the south. We will welcome any prodigal son hahaha

Hey, I'm a southerner in my heart if not in my location. Have to order green peanuts, White Lily flour, real cornmeal and field peas online cause these culturally stunted folks don't even know what they are missing. They didn't know what collard greens are--but I educated them and now they ask for them every New Year's Day. Good Georgia Brunswick stew is my current quest to taste the South again.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@mattmd2 said:
    I’m also interested in the lima bean vs no lima bean debate. I’m personally not a fan but I know others are.

No Lima bean in my opinion, but that could be because I was raised on something different

Well, I got the recipe from a local BBQ place that uses lima beans, and they sell it by the gallon there. Haven't had any complaints yet!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@JRT812 said:

@mattmd2 said:
    I’m also interested in the lima bean vs no lima bean debate. I’m personally not a fan but I know others are.

No Lima bean in my opinion, but that could be because I was raised on something different

Well, I got the recipe from a local BBQ place that uses lima beans, and they sell it by the gallon there. Haven't had any complaints yet!

Interesting adaptation. Certainly not "classic" Brunswick Stew, but it sounds worthy of a test drive.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like mine with English peas in it, also good with the small, green Lima beans, what I call butter beans, in it.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:
    Like mine with English peas in it, also good with the small, green Lima beans, what I call butter beans, in it.

It's kind of amazing to me that we can generate so much discussion on Brunswick Stew and no one seemed to go crazy and start dissing/throwing shade at others who have different tastes when it comes to BS. And yet, in some instances (pincer movements vs double envelopments and such) it's like all out war. As my man John Prine sings, "It's a big ole goofy world".

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If no one has ever tried it, I strongly suggest smoking your stew in a cast iron pot on the smoker

I second this. If I lived back home I would do some similar. The original family recipe makes about 4 crock pots worth. What my family would do is build a fire and use this big old cast iron pot. Worked like a charm and actually makes a difference

• Options

@JayDog said:

@JRT812 said:

@JayDog said:
    @JRT812 that is a good looking stew. I've never made Brunswick stew. Being stuck in the great white north, no one makes it either. Been looking for a recipe. Would you consider sharing yours?

Hang out my man. I have something for ya. I can’t give away the family recipe but I will get ya pointed in the right direction. Also, come back to the south. We will welcome any prodigal son hahaha

Hey, I'm a southerner in my heart if not in my location. Have to order green peanuts, White Lily flour, real cornmeal and field peas online cause these culturally stunted folks don't even know what they are missing. They didn't know what collard greens are--but I educated them and now they ask for them every New Year's Day. Good Georgia Brunswick stew is my current quest to taste the South again.

Maybe that is why you’re located there. To educate them on our ways. My brother in law is a missionary. Maybe it’s similar, but with a different mission.

As I tell him often... I will get ya back home one day (jokingly of course)

• Options

@UnderDog68 said:

@JRT812 said:

@mattmd2 said:

No complaints is what matters and if it works run it. It’s funny how there are some many different ways to make it. Even reading on here I learned some new stuff

• Options
    edited September 2018

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

It's kind of amazing to me that we can generate so much discussion on Brunswick Stew and no one seemed to go crazy and start dissing/throwing shade at others who have different tastes when it comes to BS. And yet, in some instances (pincer movements vs double envelopments and such) it's like all out war. As my man John Prine sings, "It's a big ole goofy world".

Hahaha. I was just thinking the same thing last night. It’s one of the things I like about food. Good food and breaking bread with others (in this case recipes) sort of drowns out the noise this world makes.

I don’t know maybe I will do a weekly thread on different recipes to give us a buffer for a slight moment. Next week how to make grits haha

• Options

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

Oh and I had John Prine’s “In spite of ourselves played at my wedding” Slipped it past the wife. Had some looks, but she knew it was our song

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

Hahaha. I was just thinking the same thing last night. It’s one of the things I like about food. Good food and breaking bread with others (in this case recipes) sort of downs out the noise this world makes.

I don’t know maybe I will do a weekly thread on different recipes to give us a buffer for a slight moment. Next week how to make grits haha

I. for one. would look forward to it.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

AMEN!!! D A N G THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:
    The last picture, the stew looks a little grey. It’s probably just the lighting. All the other pics look awesome.

I typically make gumbos and red chili to freeze in serving size containers. And then I have homemade food ready to go any time I want. If I’m particularly motivated, I whip up some cornbread to go with it. It’s not hard after you’ve memorized the recipe.

How well does gumbo freeze? I’m kind of guessing all those little bits of stuff get to soggy and you lose all the texture. My guess is it’s best eaten within a few days of being made.

It must have been the lights but I see what you mean. Oh, the wife made some cornbread

https://youtu.be/nmMT0ZbNOHY

@Dawg1419 THAT'S FUNNY!!!

• Options

@christopherules said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:
    The last picture, the stew looks a little grey. It’s probably just the lighting. All the other pics look awesome.

I typically make gumbos and red chili to freeze in serving size containers. And then I have homemade food ready to go any time I want. If I’m particularly motivated, I whip up some cornbread to go with it. It’s not hard after you’ve memorized the recipe.

How well does gumbo freeze? I’m kind of guessing all those little bits of stuff get to soggy and you lose all the texture. My guess is it’s best eaten within a few days of being made.

It must have been the lights but I see what you mean. Oh, the wife made some cornbread

https://youtu.be/nmMT0ZbNOHY

@Dawg1419 THAT'S FUNNY!!!

Not sure how I missed that but hahaha what a great clip

• Options

@christopherules said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

AMEN!!! D A N G THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

Thanks my man!