Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brunswick Stew

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tried something different with the stew. Usually, it’s chicken, pork, and beef. I had some brisket left over from the weekend. Everything else was smoked for the stew. I never added brisket before, but it was really good. I only made a small portion because I wasn’t sure. Usually it’s around 4 crock pots whenever the weather changes.

Comments

• Options

The pictures came out backwards

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Makes my mouth water. Love a good smoked brisket

• Options

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:
    The pictures came out backwards

lookin mighty fine, backwards, upside down or inverted.

Thanks my man! I pride myself in my Brunswick stew

• Options

@RPMdawg said:

My too! She was a little over 18 lbs. smoked on low and Texas style

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@RPMdawg said:

My dad lives in Texas. When they say bbq, they mean beef not pork

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@RPMdawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@RPMdawg said:

My mom was born in SC and only calls pork BBQ. And I’m always like...why do we have to pick?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@RPMdawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@RPMdawg said:

My mom was born in SC and only calls pork BBQ. And I’m always like...why do we have to pick?

Yes, I concur. Both is the answer, regardless of the question. Was in the Army in TX back in the day and enjoyed brisket a lot. Got transferred to KY and met up with pork. Can't pick a winner - tie in my mind.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last picture, the stew looks a little grey. It’s probably just the lighting. All the other pics look awesome.

I typically make gumbos and red chili to freeze in serving size containers. And then I have homemade food ready to go any time I want. If I’m particularly motivated, I whip up some cornbread to go with it. It’s not hard after you’ve memorized the recipe.

How well does gumbo freeze? I’m kind of guessing all those little bits of stuff get to soggy and you lose all the texture. My guess is it’s best eaten within a few days of being made.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mighty fine looking eats there my friend.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice! The stew looks especially tasty.

• Options
    edited September 2018

@levander said:
    The last picture, the stew looks a little grey. It’s probably just the lighting. All the other pics look awesome.

I typically make gumbos and red chili to freeze in serving size containers. And then I have homemade food ready to go any time I want. If I’m particularly motivated, I whip up some cornbread to go with it. It’s not hard after you’ve memorized the recipe.

How well does gumbo freeze? I’m kind of guessing all those little bits of stuff get to soggy and you lose all the texture. My guess is it’s best eaten within a few days of being made.

It must have been the lights but I see what you mean. Oh, the wife made some cornbread

• Options
    edited September 2018

Whoops. Didn’t mean to select the pic of the model A. Apologies.

Edit I figured out how to remove it

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

It must have been the lights but I see what you mean. Oh, the wife made some cornbread

https://youtu.be/nmMT0ZbNOHY

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm squirrel stew man, myself. Too bad we don't have any down here. And we couldn't kill them if we did.

• Options

REAL cornbread, too!

• Options

@DobroMattInOz said:
    I'm squirrel stew man, myself. Too bad we don't have any down here. And we couldn't kill them if we did.

'Roo stew?

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2018

@Catfish said:
    'Roo stew?

Never tried it. Pretty expensive. Turkey necks, on the other hand, can be had for $2.50 / lb.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 that is a good looking stew. I've never made Brunswick stew. Being stuck in the great white north, no one makes it either. Been looking for a recipe. Would you consider sharing yours?

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like to do some big chunks of carrot and potatoes in mine. I also like to see a few green things like sweet peas and baby lima beans. I'm a little cheap in the meat department so I always stick to chicken breast.