Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brunswick Stew

Comments

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Walk out in the backyard and plunk a squirrel or 3 and throw them in, really adds to the flavor. Rabbit is good to but not as many rabbits running around as there use to be. Does look good though and the cornbread looks delicious.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just made my own stew using leftover pulled pork from the weekend. Recipe has been in the family for over 100 years, or so I’m told.

Happy to see others who enjoy Brunswick stew. Can only find it at one of the bbq places in Chattanooga and it’s not great. Wish it were more popular.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m also interested in the lima bean vs no lima bean debate. I’m personally not a fan but I know others are.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    The pictures came out backwards

Maybe he's dyslexic?

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I make it, I put smoked butt in there, tomatoes, chicken, hamburger meat, English peas, limas, giblet corn, and creamed corn for thickness. Got the recipe from a local BBQ joint.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

lookin mighty fine, backwards, upside down or inverted.

Thanks my man! I pride myself in my Brunswick stew

Well..., I bet you cannot write out your Brunswick Stew recipe in an Off-Topic post RIGHT NOW! Can YOU?

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

Well..., I bet you cannot write out your Brunswick Stew recipe in an Off-Topic post RIGHT NOW! Can YOU?

Dare ya

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DobroMattInOz said:
    I'm squirrel stew man, myself. Too bad we don't have any down here. And we couldn't kill them if we did.

We asked our great uncle what they used to put in their stew, he said "whatever ran across the yard" haha

• Options
    RockSpringDawgRockSpringDawg Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    I’m also interested in the lima bean vs no lima bean debate. I’m personally not a fan but I know others are.

Happily, I can say I’ve never heard of any such. Can’t imagine lima beans in Brunswick stew.

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

We asked our great uncle what they used to put in their stew, he said "whatever ran across the yard" haha

Gamecock is fine in stew.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 you bringing that to the game Saturday? If so, your forum friends want some!!!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    @JRT812 that is a good looking stew. I've never made Brunswick stew. Being stuck in the great white north, no one makes it either. Been looking for a recipe. Would you consider sharing yours?

Hang out my man. I have something for ya. I can’t give away the family recipe but I will get ya pointed in the right direction. Also, come back to the south. We will welcome any prodigal son hahaha

• Options

@ForestryDawg said:
    I like to do some big chunks of carrot and potatoes in mine. I also like to see a few green things like sweet peas and baby lima beans. I'm a little cheap in the meat department so I always stick to chicken breast.

Whatever you prefer my man!

• Options

@mattmd2 said:
    Just made my own stew using leftover pulled pork from the weekend. Recipe has been in the family for over 100 years, or so I’m told.

Happy to see others who enjoy Brunswick stew. Can only find it at one of the bbq places in Chattanooga and it’s not great. Wish it were more popular.

Where in Chattanooga? My family is from Georgia, but I was raised in Ooltewah. Also, post some pics of the stew. Love seeing the differences

• Options

@mattmd2 said:

No Lima bean in my opinion, but that could be because I was raised on something different

• Options

@UnderDog68 said:
    When I make it, I put smoked butt in there, tomatoes, chicken, hamburger meat, English peas, limas, giblet corn, and creamed corn for thickness. Got the recipe from a local BBQ joint.

I like the cream corn idea. I may try that

• Options

@RockSpringDawg said:

@mattmd2 said:

Happily, I can say I’ve never heard of any such. Can’t imagine lima beans in Brunswick stew.

You sir know a good stew in my opinion

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

I remember promising you a version of the recipe a few weeks ago. The goal is to have it posted I’m on Friday. It won’t be exactly like the family recipe, but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

The stew is all about preference anyhow

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Holy smoked brisket, that looks really good!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

I remember promising you a version of the recipe a few weeks ago. The goal is to have it posted I’m on Friday. It won’t be exactly like the family recipe, but it will get you pointed in the right direction.

The stew is all about preference anyhow

Thanks I apologize for missing your promise. Looking forward to it..