Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves play The Dodgers Thursday in L.A. , who gets the start ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's Folty, he's got the best stats and an arm for postseason pitching.
Yep..nope...maybe..don't care ?

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folty, no doubt. Will be interesting to see how rotation shapes up after him. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow who will be in bullpen, hopefully Touki will make the playoff roster. Visciano coming back and Sabotka’s good outings have me feeling better about our relievers. Newcomb could be big addition, don’t know if he can be trusted to throw strikes. Great year no matter how it ends.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m betting Folty. Now if Atlanta wanted to truly throw LA off completely they would start Touki since they haven’t seen him at all. But probably be Folty since he has earned the right to start game one

• Options
    JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Definitely Folty. The way Julio has been pitching of late I would make him #2.

• Options
    RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Fromm, with Fields available for relief

Don't know if you know this, but Jake Fromm played in the LLWS

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was Fields a pitcher? SS?

• Options

@JackLattty said:

Both Glausman and Sanchez have been more consistent than Julio. He scares me. Too up and down for my tastes.

• Options
    JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I feel if Julio is on though he has better stuff then either one of those guys. And lately I think he has been on.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves are 2-5 this year against the dodgers. With Newcomb and Sanchez with the two wins, they also each have a loss to them as well. I’d still go Folty though... about to witness a $200 million payroll against a $130 million.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folty for game 1 and game 4, assuming series gets to a game 4.

• Options

@donm said:

@JackLattty said:

Both Glausman and Sanchez have been more consistent than Julio. He scares me. Too up and down for my tastes.

Sanchez should be either 2nd or 3rd up. In a 5 game series you can't afford to send out a place holder, Sanchez has been very good.

• Options

@donm said:

@JackLattty said:

Folty has a 1,50 ERA over his last 4 starts. Sanchez and Julio have given up more than 2 runs just 1 time over their last 5 starts, there's your starters for this series,

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Julio has been the ultimate tease, every time you get ready to write him off, he comes out and starts pitching good. He would probably start in Game 4, but I don’t trust him to get the job done. The good thing is that he usually does best when you least expect it. With all our young, talented starters, I don’t see him in our rotation next year. His salary could be used to bolster the bullpen.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@coastaldawg said:
    Julio has been the ultimate tease, every time you get ready to write him off, he comes out and starts pitching good. He would probably start in Game 4, but I don’t trust him to get the job done. The good thing is that he usually does best when you least expect it. With all our young, talented starters, I don’t see him in our rotation next year. His salary could be used to bolster the bullpen.

that's going to be a big decision for the Bravos next year...what the heck to do about Julio. Would not be surprised to see him dealt away by spring training. Not sure what they could get for him...maybe we can fool Arizona again? In an aside, I'm wondering about Swanson. I fear he'll never be an above average hitter and some of those "advanced metrics" I've seen have him in the bottom third of SSs defensively. I know he does get some clutch hits, especially when teams pitch him inside, but overall I'd like a more consistent hitter at SS.

• Options

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

that's going to be a big decision for the Bravos next year...what the heck to do about Julio. Would not be surprised to see him dealt away by spring training. Not sure what they could get for him...maybe we can fool Arizona again? In an aside, I'm wondering about Swanson. I fear he'll never be an above average hitter and some of those "advanced metrics" I've seen have him in the bottom third of SSs defensively. I know he does get some clutch hits, especially when teams pitch him inside, but overall I'd like a more consistent hitter at SS.

If you look at the team's offensive stats and insert good stats where Swanson's are the team's production jumps into the top 4 in MLB.
    If we get similar production at other positions and beef up just 1 spot, next season could be fun.
    This is a doubles team already, we're 1st in The NL there. If you project Acuna over a full season we should add 12 or more homers from him, if we can add 25 from other sources and equal our doubles, we'll have a great lineup in 2019.

• Options

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

I just hate it for Julio that he had to suffer through his best years on the terrible Atlanta teams. Now they make the playoffs, and he seems to be heading to the backside of his career. He's still only 27, so could have another 5 solid years to go. He has a career 3.64 ERA, and has played 6 full seasons and made 2 all-stars. Nothing to sneeze at. I think it'll all depend on how much $$$ he wants whether the Braves try to keep him. He's still a solid MLB starter, just not an ace.

And agree on Dansby, it's hard to wrap your finger around his inconsistencies. If he makes anywhere near where he did this season, he's extremely cheap. $565k this year. I think I read he's the 71st highest paid SS in the league. lol. That's bench player money.

Also, I was interested in the breakdown of the Braves payroll, and if I'm reading this right, Adrian Gonzalez and Scott Kazmir make up about 30% of the Braves 2018 payroll... https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/payroll/

• Options

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

I just hate it for Julio that he had to suffer through his best years on the terrible Atlanta teams. Now they make the playoffs, and he seems to be heading to the backside of his career. He's still only 27, so could have another 5 solid years to go. He has a career 3.64 ERA, and has played 6 full seasons and made 2 all-stars. Nothing to sneeze at. I think it'll all depend on how much $$$ he wants whether the Braves try to keep him. He's still a solid MLB starter, just not an ace.

And agree on Dansby, it's hard to wrap your finger around his inconsistencies. If he makes anywhere near where he did this season, he's extremely cheap. $565k this year. I think I read he's the 71st highest paid SS in the league. lol. That's bench player money.

Also, I was interested in the breakdown of the Braves payroll, and if I'm reading this right, Adrian Gonzalez and Scott Kazmir make up about 30% of the Braves 2018 payroll... https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/payroll/

He should be looking for a fairly long term deal at his age, I'm not sure the organization will commit to a multi year deal considering the depth of good starting pitchers making their way through the farm system.
    Why pay big dollars if there is equal or better production with rookie contracts ?
    Putting big money in one basket would also make the team less flexible in bringing up young guys to test their readiness.
    I'm not opposed to the idea entirely, just throwing out some thoughts on the subject.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

He should be looking for a fairly long term deal at his age, I'm not sure the organization will commit to a multi year deal considering the depth of good starting pitchers making their way through the farm system.
    Why pay big dollars if there is equal or better production with rookie contracts ?
    Putting big money in one basket would also make the team less flexible in bringing up young guys to test their readiness.
    I'm not opposed to the idea entirely, just throwing out some thoughts on the subject.

Agreed, a ton of young arms coming up. Will make it tough to re-sign Julio.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

If this is so, then a trade seems like a good option. Not sure what the brains in the front office think we need. Not sure Nick M can repeat a career like he just had. Ozzie may not hit as many HR's next year. Pache' is close to ready and he's an elite defensive outfielder. Catcher. What about catcher. We could use a catcher who can hit with some power. Flowers and Suzuki have combined for two solid years for us but they can't play forever.

• Options

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

If this is so, then a trade seems like a good option. Not sure what the brains in the front office think we need. Not sure Nick M can repeat a career like he just had. Ozzie may not hit as many HR's next year. Pache' is close to ready and he's an elite defensive outfielder. Catcher. What about catcher. We could use a catcher who can hit with some power. Flowers and Suzuki have combined for two solid years for us but they can't play forever.

Good points. We got offensive production early in the season from some sources that won't be repeated again.
    Albies hit most of his hrs in a short period in the spring, he's not a power hitter, my guess is 15 to 20 a season is his norm going forward. We need another complete hitter with good power in the lineup.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:

Good points. We got offensive production early in the season from some sources that won't be repeated again.
    Albies hit most of his hrs in a short period in the spring, he's not a power hitter, my guess is 15 to 20 a season is his norm going forward. We need another complete hitter with good power in the lineup.

Let me introduce you to Mr. J.T. Realmuto, your new catcher.