Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves play The Dodgers Thursday in L.A. , who gets the start ?..

1235»

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

TLDR we can’t really blame ownership for making or not making moves.

I am personally and intimately familiar with how the Braves operate. I stand by my prior statement that we cannot win a championship with Liberty as owner. Wishful thinking that an individual owner could buy the Braves franchise? Or that the Braves could compete with LA & NY for free agents? That's exactly what we did in the 1990's, so I don't understand why that's "wishful thinking."

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No they did pay them. But the dodgers are playing kemp 30M too, just over two years.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:
    No they did pay them. But the dodgers are playing kemp 30M too, just over two years.

I don't believe what is made public is the real story, it wouldn't make financial sense for Liberty to just assume that cost.

@AnotherDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

TLDR we can’t really blame ownership for making or not making moves.

I am personally and intimately familiar with how the Braves operate. I stand by my prior statement that we cannot win a championship with Liberty as owner. Wishful thinking that an individual owner could buy the Braves franchise? Or that the Braves could compete with LA & NY for free agents? That's exactly what we did in the 1990's, so I don't understand why that's "wishful thinking."

I'd love to see either Blank or Marcus buy The team.

edited October 2018

@Kirbstomper said:

I just don't believe Liberty assumed that cost, it doesn't make sense. The only way they'd take on that debt is if they can make it back, and maybe more in tax savings.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    On a slightly more serious note. I did some research on how our hitters have performed in August and September.
    Without further ado...

August
    Acuna - 1.106 OPS
    Culberson - 1.086 OPS
    Camargo - .869 OPS
    Freeman - .791 OPS
    Inciarte - .787 OPS
    Swanson - .716 OPS
    Suzuki - .705 OPS
    Markakis - .695 OPS
    Flowers - .656 OPS
    Albies - .606 OPS

September
    Suzuki - .915 OPS
    Acuna - .907 OPS
    Freeman - .856 OPS
    Inciarte - .778 OPS
    Camargo - .747 OPS
    Albies - .656 OPS
    Sawnson - .653 OPS
    Markakis - .646 OPS
    Flowers - .637 OPS
    Culberson .583 OPS

Your comments are welcome.

Do you know the MLB ave. OPS ?

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    On a slightly more serious note. I did some research on how our hitters have performed in August and September.
    Without further ado...

August
    Acuna - 1.106 OPS
    Culberson - 1.086 OPS
    Camargo - .869 OPS
    Freeman - .791 OPS
    Inciarte - .787 OPS
    Swanson - .716 OPS
    Suzuki - .705 OPS
    Markakis - .695 OPS
    Flowers - .656 OPS
    Albies - .606 OPS

September
    Suzuki - .915 OPS
    Acuna - .907 OPS
    Freeman - .856 OPS
    Inciarte - .778 OPS
    Camargo - .747 OPS
    Albies - .656 OPS
    Sawnson - .653 OPS
    Markakis - .646 OPS
    Flowers - .637 OPS
    Culberson .583 OPS

I think Freeman needs to be rested a few times, whether he likes it or not.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

>

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

I just don't believe Liberty assumed that cost, it doesn't make sense. The only way they'd take on that debt is if they can make it back, and maybe more in tax savings.

It’s a very common thing in baseball to trade bad contracts. We owed kemp 30M through two years, and decided we wanted to open up money for 2019 so we made the trade. This way we pay 30M in one year and have more for next. This was the teams explanation, at least.

So they didn’t really take on any cost, they just moved it around.

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

>

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

Thank you. A good portion of the lineup was "below average" during those months. I'll have to check the season stats to see how we did statistically. Just curious.

edited October 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Without further ado...

August
    Acuna - 1.106 OPS
    Culberson - 1.086 OPS
    Camargo - .869 OPS
    Freeman - .791 OPS
    Inciarte - .787 OPS
    Swanson - .716 OPS
    Suzuki - .705 OPS
    Markakis - .695 OPS
    Flowers - .656 OPS
    Albies - .606 OPS

September
    Suzuki - .915 OPS
    Acuna - .907 OPS
    Freeman - .856 OPS
    Inciarte - .778 OPS
    Camargo - .747 OPS
    Albies - .656 OPS
    Sawnson - .653 OPS
    Markakis - .646 OPS
    Flowers - .637 OPS
    Culberson .583 OPS

NM, I see it's been answered.

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

It’s a very common thing in baseball to trade bad contracts. We owed kemp 30M through two years, and decided we wanted to open up money for 2019 so we made the trade. This way we pay 30M in one year and have more for next. This was the teams explanation, at least.

So they didn’t really take on any cost, they just moved it around.

Tax dodge.