Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chili

13»

Comments

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:
    We need a food subject admins.

Nothing special, but I wanted some comfort food after this weekend. Told/ asked kindly with a southern please the wife/ roommate for some homemade chili. She didn’t fail.

They used to shun a man in these parts for putting stew meat in chili.

I've become more tolerant as I age, still don't seem right though.

What would be used but stew meat in chili? Google 'stew meat cut' and 'chili beef cut' Stew meat (chuck) comes up first in both. If you're thinking of hamburger meat, then that is still chuck. I know round comes up too, but chuck is more common and more flavorful. Plus one knows what one is putting into the chili.

Chili needs ground round, I'm a libertarian, but there should be limits.

I am ever so pleased that you took the full 16 days to consider your opinion and share it with us. Splendid!

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

Well, it is that time of year......

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Nothing special, but I wanted some comfort food after this weekend. Told/ asked kindly with a southern please the wife/ roommate for some homemade chili. She didn’t fail.

What would be used but stew meat in chili? Google 'stew meat cut' and 'chili beef cut' Stew meat (chuck) comes up first in both. If you're thinking of hamburger meat, then that is still chuck. I know round comes up too, but chuck is more common and more flavorful. Plus one knows what one is putting into the chili.

I am ever so pleased that you took the full 16 days to consider your opinion and share it with us. Splendid!

I aims to please knuckle dragger.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Well the weather is getting cooler and I did my first batch of Chili last week. This time of year, I can make chili every other week and eat it all week. BIG chili fan!!! So I thought I would share my easy chili recipe.

Ingredients:
    1 to 2 lbs meat of choice
    1 28oz can of stewed tomatoes
    1 14oz can of stewed tomatoes
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
    1 can of Rotel (mild or original...I prefer original)
    2 cans of DARK Red kidney beans
    1 can of black beans
    1 packet of of chili seasoning of your choice( I prefer Chili-O)
    3 Tbl spoons of Chili Powder
    1/2 Tbl spoon of Cayenne powder
    (other seasonings if desired)

Cooking;
    Stove top or crockpot.

Put the stewed tomatoes and all the seasonings in a blender. Blend thoroughly.
    Pour blended mix in stove top pot or crockpot.
    Add cans of diced tomatoes and Rotel.
    Cook for 2 hours in crockpot, simmer for 45 minutes on stove top.
    Add desired meat. Braised or cooked. Simmer for 30 minutes, 45 for crockpot.
    Drain and rinse beans. Add and cook for another 20 minutes.

I like to do my condiments on the side. Chopped onions, cheese, sour cream etc.. But work it however you like...

Hope you try and enjoy!!

Add 1 large diced bell pepper and you're there.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Only took you 40 days (and nights) to respond. Slipping. Typical for you to pick a fight and call names. Need to respect yourself, as no one else will.
    And use chuck/ground chuck. Bell pepper is an option, not a must. Cumin adds flavor and body (start with about 1/2 teaspoon if not familiar with it). Also ground coriander - about the same. Garlic is an option, but don't overdue. May not taste it until too late.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Only took you 40 days (and nights) to respond. Slipping. Typical for you to pick a fight and call names. Need to respect yourself, as no one else will.
    And use chuck/ground chuck. Bell pepper is an option, not a must. Cumin adds flavor and body (start with about 1/2 teaspoon if not familiar with it). Also ground coriander - about the same. Garlic is an option, but don't overdue. May not taste it until too late.

LOL! Approach the situation. Evaluate the situation. Defuse the situation. Add your own ingredients and continue......Love It!!!!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Living in the wrong Gainesville area, I've become infatuated with sour orange pie - a takeoff on key lime pie but awfully, awfully good.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2021

Never heard of it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Def love key lime.

ETA: this chili thread makes me regret failing to take proper advantage of the cold weather we've had over the past couple of months!

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine takes two cooking sessions: put chorizo and beef chunks with rub in an oiled, large skillet and a combination of bacon, onions, and peppers in another with garlic cloves on top. The skillets go out to grill low and slow in smoke -- mesquite if I have it or pecan chunks. The veggies usually cook soft in after an hour or so, the meat cooks on down like pulled pork. I pull the pepper skins out then process the veggies with a can of tomato sauce. The next day everything goes into my biggest porcelain enameled pot with a slosh of dark beer and cooked at around 225 degrees all day.

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Made a pot of the “Best Ever Chili” recipe Friday from the Margaritaville cookbook. Took just an hour to make and really good!

Searchin for that lost shaker of salt 🧂 (Salt! Salt! Salt!)