Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Life is about to change

2»

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    Here is something different: cook some lentils with chopped onion, garlic, a couple of chopped pickled jalapeno slices, salt and pepper. Now grill some large portobello caps with a little marinade in them. Take the lentils and fill the portobellos. Top with a sliced cheese of your choice. A little bit of fresh cilantro on top of the melted cheese. You could put jalapeno slices on top of the cheese for those who want the pop. You could also try making a sandwich out of that, too. You would need the right type of bread to handle it capably.

Interesting and actually sounds like something I wouldn’t mind trying even though I dont like mushrooms

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:
    I am actually looking for ideas for something for the tailgate this weekend

I generally cook/smoke the night before. I always do something bacon themed and never do the same thing twice

I am thinking ABTs this weekend. Slice jalapenos and/or sweet peppers in half. Fill with a cream cheese/shredded cheese mix. Optional can top with a lil smokie or a raw shrimp, 40 ct size. Wrap in bacon. Smoke or cook raised direct.

In the past I have done everything from bacon candy to bacon explosion to bacon crackers

Have you done bacon wrapped hotdogs with jalapeno bits stuffed inside the dog?

Never done it. Bro let me blow your mind. Get hoagie buns and grill some dogs. Make some bbq and place it on top of the dog with some bbq sauce. Bro talk about living good

Do you put the BBQ sauce on while they're grilling or after?

• Options

@Kasey said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

I generally cook/smoke the night before. I always do something bacon themed and never do the same thing twice

I am thinking ABTs this weekend. Slice jalapenos and/or sweet peppers in half. Fill with a cream cheese/shredded cheese mix. Optional can top with a lil smokie or a raw shrimp, 40 ct size. Wrap in bacon. Smoke or cook raised direct.

In the past I have done everything from bacon candy to bacon explosion to bacon crackers

Never done it. Bro let me blow your mind. Get hoagie buns and grill some dogs. Make some bbq and place it on top of the dog with some bbq sauce. Bro talk about living good

Do you put the BBQ sauce on while they're grilling or after?

After. Bun, dog, bbq, sauce, whatever else toppings you want like onions etc.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Your for sure on point with the jalapeño poppers. Where are you tailgating?

fiancee is a clemson alum and we have season tickets so we are there for most home games

I do most of my cooking on a kamado joe, kind of like a bge

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

• Options

@tfk_fanboy said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

What do you mean by spiral cut?

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@JRT812 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe @BojanglesInsider will share the secret biscuit recipe?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:

I think that he swore an Omerta type oath with that biscuit recipe. Can't see it happening, although I could be wrong.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BobcatGrad said:

I think that he swore an Omerta type oath with that biscuit recipe. Can't see it happening, although I could be wrong.

You are probably right.

I just mentioned to my wife this thread and before I could ask she said “No, I am not telling you the secret recipe for my carrot cake, not even for The DawgNation Boys”.

I do know the icing has cream cheese along with powdered sugar. After she stores the leftover cake in the refrigerator I will zap a piece for seven seconds. Without rinsing my beer mug I pour a glass of milk and place in the freezer about ten minutes beforehand.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:

@JRT812 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

What is this sorcery?? Do you cut with a knife or is there a hotdog spiralizer?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@JRT812 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

I think it's done the same as an apple.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    My buddy (who's actually a Florida fan) actually has this pretty good dip that I make during game day sometimes and to parties.

Ingredients
    1. 1 Can of Rotelle
    2. 1 stick of cream cheese
    3. Italian sausage (I use spicy)
    4. Bags of Tostitos Scoops

Cook the sausage. Put the can of Rotelle and cream cheese into like a mini small cooker and let them blend. Throw the sausage in there. I cut up the sausage into smaller pieces. You can use Cholula sauce to make the dip spicier. Then use the Tostitos scoops to scoop up the dip and enjoy.

Rotelle as in pasta? Pre-cooked for the 'can' aspect. Don't think I would like that.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:

Could adapt this for bacon instead of the weenies. Pre-cook, but under cook bacon slices before cooking, then add to the puff pastry dough. Has zucchini sliced using a potato peeler. Have no idea what zucchini brings to this. I would probably drop some lemon juice on the Z ere I rolled them up. I use Google translate. (Also, add some hard/semi-hard cheese after the portions are cut?)

https://cucinareconpaola.ifood.it/girelle-di-sfoglia-con-zucchine-e/

From the site (Google Translate):

Ingredients:

1 roll of rectangular puff pastry
    1 or 2 zucchini (depends on size)
    Wurstel (not the small ones) <- substitute pre-under-cooked Bacon slices?

Method:

Roll out the roll of puff pastry and cover it with the zucchini cut into thin slices for the length (I used the potato peeler to get thin and uniform slices). Place the sausages on the long side of the pastry and roll up. Cut the swivels about 1 cm or 1.5 cm and place them on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake at 180 degrees for 15/20 minutes, allow to cool on the wire rack .
    Excellent freshly baked, delicious even at room temperature!

• Options
    edited October 2018

@tfk_fanboy said:

My Jalepeno Poppers -

• Jalepenos cut in half lengthwise, cleaned out
    • Cream Cheese (8oz) mixed with 1 large tablespoon Cajun Seasoning (Zatarians is my go-to)
    • Stuff each half with cream cheese, wrap in Bacon, thread with toothpick
    • Grill (closed to keep bacon grease from flaming up the coals)
    • Serve

Another bacon-ish dish I heard about this week is as follows; sorry, I don't know proportions:

• Italian Sausage (ground, browned)
    • Baked Beans
    • Bacon (mostly, but not fully cooked, will bake later)
    • Brown Sugar
    • BBQ Sauce
    • Bake and serve
  • Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgsofWar said:
    My buddy (who's actually a Florida fan) actually has this pretty good dip that I make during game day sometimes and to parties.

Ingredients
    1. 1 Can of Rotelle
    2. 1 stick of cream cheese
    3. Italian sausage (I use spicy)
    4. Bags of Tostitos Scoops

Cook the sausage. Put the can of Rotelle and cream cheese into like a mini small cooker and let them blend. Throw the sausage in there. I cut up the sausage into smaller pieces. You can use Cholula sauce to make the dip spicier. Then use the Tostitos scoops to scoop up the dip and enjoy.

Rotelle as in pasta? Pre-cooked for the 'can' aspect. Don't think I would like that.

Ro-Tel, the canned tomato/pepper mixture found near crushed/diced tomatoes in the supermarket.

• Options

@mattmd2 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@JRT812 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@JRT812 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

spiral cut those dogs!

use a wooden skewer through the middle of the hot dog, lengthwise. use a knife and rotate the hot dog

spiral cut has a couple of advantages. little storage area to hold the toppings better, instead of them falling off to the side. more surface area to have that grill finish. plus, they look cool