Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Athens music

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsince76 said:
    I’ve been liking DBT recently discovered on a local radio show here in Orlando called Sunday morning coming down. Sundays 9-noon on 104.1 you guys should check it out .

''Sunday Morning Coming Down'' I'd guessing it's a tribute to the great Kris Kristofferson song made famous by Johnny Cash.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:
    Seems like the major Athens bands have already been covered above, so I'll give a shout out to a few that weren't from Athens but played there and elsewhere around the southeast during my college days:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

DNC's Straight To Hell is a one of a kind beer drinking sing along song.

Was on stage with Kevin Kinney in a hole in the wall in Huntsville, AL singing Straight to Hell, badly.

Have you seen the video of Darius Rucker Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan singing Straight To Hell at The CMAs ?
    I'm not really a fan of ''The Bros'' sound, but the video is worth a listen.

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Dawgsince76 said:
    I’ve been liking DBT recently discovered on a local radio show here in Orlando called Sunday morning coming down. Sundays 9-noon on 104.1 you guys should check it out .

''Sunday Morning Coming Down'' I'd guessing it's a tribute to the great Kris Kristofferson song made famous by Johnny Cash.

Yes, it’s a great mix of the likes Chris,Johnny,and the likes. Also a little DBT a little of everything. Try I heart radio or something like this. Also it’s on Sunday morning.

• Options
    bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

THE OLIVIA TREMOR CONTROL and PYLON

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Panic. That concert in the streets back in....98 i think? They started playing Ain't Life Grand and the bottom of the sky fell out with rain right when they started and everyone just cheered.... oh good times indeed.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    I’d go REM. B-52s are a little weird for my tastes. And I was never a jam band guy so that eliminates widespread panic.

Surprisingly I’m not a bigger fan for some reason

Jam Bands are something you have to experience live rather then listen to. Then you begin to appreciate them.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@RxDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    I’d go REM. B-52s are a little weird for my tastes. And I was never a jam band guy so that eliminates widespread panic.

Jam Bands are something you have to experience live rather then listen to. Then you begin to appreciate them.

I’ve always just been a vocals and lyrics guy foremost. Appreciate the musicianship, but prefer the other

• Options

@AnotherDawg said:
    Seems like the major Athens bands have already been covered above, so I'll give a shout out to a few that weren't from Athens but played there and elsewhere around the southeast during my college days:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

I actually caught Maroon 5 at the Ga theater right when they were blowing up with Songs About Jane. It was pretty cool. Only show I went to there where the line to get in wrapped around the block. I thought to myself these guys might turn into something.... I don't care to much for them now, but that first album was pretty good.

• Options

@NYCLawDawg said:
    Bubba Sparxxx

I grew up with him. I didn't really think of him coming from Athens musically though.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

DNC's Straight To Hell is a one of a kind beer drinking sing along song.

Was on stage with Kevin Kinney in a hole in the wall in Huntsville, AL singing Straight to Hell, badly.

Have you seen the video of Darius Rucker Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan singing Straight To Hell at The CMAs ?
    I'm not really a fan of ''The Bros'' sound, but the video is worth a listen.

I have not, but will have to check it out. I was at midtown music festival and saw an acoutsic show with Kevin Kinney, Warren Haynes and Edwin McCain where they did that and Soulshine, for a VH1 special

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:
    Panic. That concert in the streets back in....98 i think? They started playing Ain't Life Grand and the bottom of the sky fell out with rain right when they started and everyone just cheered.... oh good times indeed.

They opened for Drivin N Cryin at the Fox and I really couldn't get into it.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They're not from Athens, but I can't believe Mel and the Party Hats are still together doing covers. Saw them many times at the Theatre in my younger days.

• Options
    ddsnyderugaddsnyderuga Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anybody else a fan of Soul Miner’s daughter?

• Options

@Kasey said:

@RxDawg said:

@Kasey said:

I’ve always just been a vocals and lyrics guy foremost. Appreciate the musicianship, but prefer the other

@Pigeons said:

@BiffLowman said:
    What's your favorite?

Widespread Panic. Seen them live in about 30 different cities across the US.

ETA: This actually got me thinking.

Oakland
    LA
    Reno
    Lake Tahoe
    Denver
    Rothbury, MI
    Athens
    Atlanta
    Augusta
    Macon
    Savannah
    Birmingham
    Huntsville
    Orange Beach
    New Orleans
    Raleigh
    Charlotte
    DC
    Richmond
    Columbia Maryland(MPP)
    Columbia SC
    Raliegh
    Greenville SC
    Nashville
    Knoxville

Sure there are some I cannot remember but not quite 30.

They really do spread the panic wide.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

Panic in the streets is still legend round these parts

• Options
    ddsnyderugaddsnyderuga Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was there for panic in the streets. Craziest I have ever seen downtown

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Hard to listen to "Whipping Post" on Live at Fillmore East by The Allman brothers and not really dig on it. Also "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." Just sayin'.

• Options

@ddsnyderuga said:
    Anybody else a fan of Soul Miner’s daughter?

I actually liked Jenifer's solo album that came out between her days in SMD and Sugarland. That was a fantastic album.

• Options
    edited November 2018

I was so fortunate to have been in Athens during the great combustion the music scene went through in the late 1970s and to end my time at UGA in 1980/81 with the football championship season and the world discovering our music. I was blessed to be in a group that appreciated both the music and football, what a time to be young and on the scene.