Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Athens music

13»

Comments

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will echo you WCDawg, I just missed the football heyday, but the music was still in full force during my time there. An incredible time for local and nationalish acts (The Replacements at Stitch-craft for $1 being not the best musically, but the most memorable).

I worked at WUOG and once got a call from The 40 Watt during my shift to give away 4 tickets for that night’s show.

I asked for the name of the band and the caller yells away from the phone, “Hey, Pete, what are you calling yourselves tonight?”

“Pete” responds, “Big Wheel of Iron Cheese.” Turns out it was a cover name for R.E.M. playing a cover songs.

I’ll add The Squalls, African Dreamland, Buzz of Delight, BBQ Killers among many others.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsince76 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Dawgsince76 said:
    I’ve been liking DBT recently discovered on a local radio show here in Orlando called Sunday morning coming down. Sundays 9-noon on 104.1 you guys should check it out .

''Sunday Morning Coming Down'' I'd guessing it's a tribute to the great Kris Kristofferson song made famous by Johnny Cash.

Yes, it’s a great mix of the likes Chris,Johnny,and the likes. Also a little DBT a little of everything. Try I heart radio or something like this. Also it’s on Sunday morning.

Read previous quotes, you guys obviously like music so you all should check it out. I’m listening now.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:
    Seems like the major Athens bands have already been covered above, so I'll give a shout out to a few that weren't from Athens but played there and elsewhere around the southeast during my college days:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

Dash Rip Rock was a perfect live college band...never saw them in Athens though still like the inclusion

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jason Isbell counts among the best anywhere. Really liked Drive by Truckers, but he's next level now.

• destindawg1destindawg1 Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

T Graham Brown and Reo Diamond, Normal Town Flyers, any band Randall Bramlett was in.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    70s - B52s, Normaltown Flyers
    80s - Love Tractor, Dreams so Real, Panic, Pylon, Mark Heard, John Barry
    90s - Vigilantes of Love, of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, the Glands,Vic Chesnutt, Truckers, Casper & the Cookies
    00s - Dead Confederate, Azure Ray, Reptar, Danger Mouse, Goons, Muuy Biien

Very good list. As somebody else mentioned, it's hard to have an Athens GOAT list without Guadalcanal Diary. More recently I've been a fan of Maserati.

I attended UGA Art & Graphic Design school during the musical Renaissance period in Athens and I feel all the richer for it. The scene back then was so alive and new that's it hard to put into words what it was really like. There's a DVD called "Athens Inside & Out" documenting the music scene during that period. I highly recommend it!

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Catfish said:

@RxDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    I’d go REM. B-52s are a little weird for my tastes. And I was never a jam band guy so that eliminates widespread panic.

Surprisingly I’m not a bigger fan for some reason

Jam Bands are something you have to experience live rather then listen to. Then you begin to appreciate them.

Hard to listen to "Whipping Post" on Live at Fillmore East by The Allman brothers and not really dig on it. Also "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." Just sayin'.

"Stormy Monday Blues" and "Mountain Jam" from the Atlanta Pot Festival -- great stuff from The Brothers as well.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good list. As somebody else mentioned, it's hard to have an Athens GOAT list without Guadalcanal Diary. There's a DVD called "Athens Inside & Out" documenting the music scene during that period. I highly recommend it!

Guadalcanal Diary is actually from Marietta which is why they didn’t make my list. Great band though. W were likely on the Athens scene at the same time. 86-90 for me. We used to break in to the Lucy Cobb chapel where REM did their Inside/Out recording. Fun times!

• LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Pigeons said:

@BiffLowman said:
    What's your favorite?

Widespread Panic. Seen them live in about 30 different cities across the US.

ETA: This actually got me thinking.

Oakland
    LA
    Reno
    Lake Tahoe
    Denver
    Rothbury, MI
    Athens
    Atlanta
    Augusta
    Macon
    Savannah
    Birmingham
    Huntsville
    Orange Beach
    New Orleans
    Raleigh
    Charlotte
    DC
    Richmond
    Columbia Maryland(MPP)
    Columbia SC
    Raliegh
    Greenville SC
    Nashville
    Knoxville

Sure there are some I cannot remember but not quite 30.

Right on...I've got the majority of those as well as some others ++
    Unfortunately, I don't count those post Mikey, he was PANIC.
    Now...they're just Widespread.
    Ain't No MIKEY = Ain't No ME.