Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dressing VS Stuffing

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like there's 100% consensus on the issue JRT. Maybe you can bring it to Connor's attention.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now this is a topic worthy of GT week. Dressing in my house. For whatever reason, my mom never stuffed the bird. The dressing was traditional cornbread dressing w/ sage and celery and served on the side next to whatever your aunt made with Velveeta in it. And yeah, my mom's dressing is the best, so I don't even wanna hear it.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with the term "dressing", but unless "dressing" is derived from a native American term for a corn bread casserole, then I don't think it is descriptive. In English cookology, I suspect it would be classified as a pudding, so corn bread pudding might be more descriptive, but it sounds too British. So, "dressing" it is. Sigh.

• Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

If you ever get sick off of stuffing you'll never go back.

It’s almost a sure thing

I'm waaaaaaaaaay over Turkey for Thanksgiving. Today's will be the last I ever cook. Starting next year I'm going to come up with something different. Perhaps grilling a marinated leg of Lamb.

Did you brine your turkey, pilgrim?

DID YOU BRINE YOUR TURKEY!!

If not, then you are NOT over turkey! Today's will NOT be the last one you ever cook. You owe it to yourself and your minions to COOK A PROPERLY MOIST TURKEY.

Between now and then, get comfortable brining your poultry and the 'other' white meat.

If you were to apologize, it would really be to yourself, so I won't insist on that.

Dry brine is where it's at.

• Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And dressing of course

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cory430 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

It’s almost a sure thing

I'm waaaaaaaaaay over Turkey for Thanksgiving. Today's will be the last I ever cook. Starting next year I'm going to come up with something different. Perhaps grilling a marinated leg of Lamb.

If not, then you are NOT over turkey! Today's will NOT be the last one you ever cook. You owe it to yourself and your minions to COOK A PROPERLY MOIST TURKEY.

Between now and then, get comfortable brining your poultry and the 'other' white meat.

If you were to apologize, it would really be to yourself, so I won't insist on that.

Yep, science backs this up too.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

@cory430 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

It’s almost a sure thing

Never even heard of brining a turkey, but will definitely check it out now. Thanks for the tip.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@AnotherDawg said:

@moos said:

@cory430 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

It’s almost a sure thing

Never even heard of brining a turkey, but will definitely check it out now. Thanks for the tip.

Also, smoke a dry brined turkey. For Best results, use maple or pecan instead of hickory.

You can thank me later.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

If you're bored with traditional, I did this 3 years ago. A little time consuming, but once ready to place in the oven, broil for about 10 minutes then bake the duration. Crisp the bacon first in broil stage
    . Also be sure to make slices in the turkey breast prior to the bacon braid to allow the bacon juices to penetrate the turkey meat....

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@moos said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@moos said:

@cory430 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

It’s almost a sure thing

Also, smoke a dry brined turkey. For Best results, use maple or pecan instead of hickory.

You can thank me later.

Usually deep fry, but did something similar moos bro

Nice bro, happy with the results?

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

@JRT812 said:

@moos said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@moos said:

@cory430 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

Dressing!

It’s almost a sure thing

You can thank me later.

Usually deep fry, but did something similar moos bro

Nice bro, happy with the results?

It was on point for sure

• Options

@ghostofuga1 said:
    If you're bored with traditional, I did this 3 years ago. A little time consuming, but once ready to place in the oven, broil for about 10 minutes then bake the duration. Crisp the bacon first in broil stage
    . Also be sure to make slices in the turkey breast prior to the bacon braid to allow the bacon juices to penetrate the turkey meat....

Is this for real?

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Is this for real?

It is. Some other fun things to research:

• The bacon explosion. I recommend this with beef instead of the traditional italian sausage.

• The piecaken (think turducken, but the dessert version)

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Is this for real?

Yep! Of course I did the 'stuffing" faux pau, but it took me about 20 minutes to "bacon braid" the turkey. It was a hit at the parent's house 3 years ago.

• Options
  • Options

@moos said:

@JRT812 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Is this for real?

• The bacon explosion. I recommend this with beef instead of the traditional italian sausage.

My dad had a friend that used to send him turduckins every year. He always gave them to me to prepare. Always smoked them and they were very good, just a little different for my family's taste. I always brought back 75% of the birds from thanksgiving.....

• Options

@ghostofuga1 said:

@moos said:

@JRT812 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Is this for real?

My dad had a friend that used to send him turduckins every year. He always gave them to me to prepare. Always smoked them and they were very good, just a little different for my family's taste. I always brought back 75% of the birds from thanksgiving.....

I'm thinking about doing a turducken/piecaken theme next year.

• Options

@moos said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@moos said:

@JRT812 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Is this for real?

I'm thinking about doing a turducken/piecaken theme next year.

Liking the idea and may follow you