Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chip's article on Smart and Media

Comments

• Options
    biggenbiggen Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

He is pissed because UGA doesn’t give him the access like the Football Writers Association of America wants. He has been sitting on his hands waiting to write that column for a long time.

Get over it Chip. Take the access Kirby gives you and be happy else move onto no name U where you can sit in the locker room after every game and blog to your hearts content.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    So 1100 schmos can watch, but not reporters.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

I don't think apologizing for making a mistake is a bad thing. Au contraire.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

If doctors cleared Zamir to play without restrictions, then gunner was not off the table. We don't know the severity of nerve damage but it doesn't seem to have been much of a problem in this case given media reports of how he responded to the injury. I can see how a brace might alter mechanics, but he'd been practicing in it for weeks. Players in the NFL and throughout college football play in them weekly.

People keep throwing ''without restrictions'' around like it's a magic shield. How about common sense ? that is useful from time to rime. No restrictions taken to absurdity could suggest hitting him like it was The SEC title game and he is a Gump is a jolly f-ing good idea.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

Apparently, he apologized off camera.

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

• Options

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

Kirby is not too stubborn or false proud to learn. He went to the guy who embarrassed his team and asked for a brutally honest appraisal after OSU ripped through Bama's defense. I think he'll quietly re-think his future options in the next case like this one. Just because he's not making it public doesn't mean there aren't conversations going on in private.

• Options

@jarred_buck said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

I’ve got no problem saying that it’s possible Kirby et all made a mistake. I also have no problem saying it’s possible they did not. The problem is the way that WCDAWG acts like it was a know issue. He does this a lot.

Get over it snowflake.
    I'm stuck being the outlier sometimes because most of you won't be critical where the program is concerned when it's warranted.
    I'm making points that wouldn't be made otherwise, you parrot what many others are posting.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

I’ve got no problem saying that it’s possible Kirby et all made a mistake. I also have no problem saying it’s possible they did not. The problem is the way that WCDAWG acts like it was a know issue. He does this a lot.

That’s reasonable. I’m not asking for Kirby to issue a statement of mea culpa. I just personally think that it may have been a mistake. I don’t blindly think that anyone can do no wrong and don’t think that anyone is above being questioned from time to time. I’m certainly not asking for Kirby to be fired and he doesn’t owe me an apology for anything lol. I just hate it for the kid. I’m sure Zeus did want to play. Unfortunately he’s only 18 and in a dangerous game sometimes it shouldn’t be up to him. And I find it a bit cold how some people are quick to dismiss any thought of how bad this is for Zamir and his family and say everything’s fine because we have other guys.

At least on here we can discuss something like this without getting too worked up for the most part. On Facebook all the comments were blind homer types who couldn’t believe anyone could dare question Lord Kirby.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@scooterdawg said:
    I really don’t agree with Chip on a lot but he’s right on this one. You can’t let McGill donors into the game and then go off on the reporters who are A) doing their job, and B) are a hell of a lot less likely to leak info than rich fatcats who are used to having their rears kissed and probably don’t think the rules apply to them. I’d bet money that it was one of the favored spectators that leaked the story.
    But Kirby didn’t want to piss off the rich guys so he went off on the press. As a fan you should want the press to do their jobs because I can guarantee that Kirby(and most coaches) would prefer to keep the average fan in a mushroom state(as in keep them in the dark and feed them crap). I get as annoyed as the next guy when I think a reporter is trying to push a narrative about the team or has an axe to grind but I’m not willing to just take whatever crumbs Kirby decides to throw the way of the average fan who doesn’t donate enough money to be privileged. I doubt I’m the only one and I doubt the sport would be as popular if we only got what the coaches felt that we deserved.

The big donors are nice to have but without the press and the guys and gals who spend what they can to go to games, watch them on TV, and support the team however they can Kirby and other coaches aren’t making millions of dollars. Not to mention that most big time coaches are the most highly paid state employees in their states. If you want to control every single thing then go coach at a private school.

I understand what you are saying, but big donors aren't "nice to have". They are a requirement now in days. If I was a big donor I (like anyone else) would want something extra.
    As for the media,I believe it is a requirement that a coach control the narrative coming out of the locker room. You can't have just anyone giving quotes to the media. I agree that the press is very important and I can't get enough Dawg info. However, I agree with others on here, if he is having a problem with Kirby, he should handle it with Kirby. I don't come on here complaining about problems I had at work.

WE are Chip's work. I expect your work has nothing to do with communicating with UGA football fans, but his has everything to do with it.

WE are not Chip's work. WE ARE THE BENEFACTORS of Chip's work (surely, you can see the difference). Work that I am sure he puts countless hours and effort into, and for that I am grateful. However, as others have said, if he is having trouble doing his job, I sympathize, but I don't won't to hear about it.

You're splitting hairs and making no real point. If you are charged with instructing students you can say those students are not your work, but it's a distinction without meaning.

And you are doing what you do best, argue just for the sake of an argument. You bring NOTHING to this (or really another) discussion.
    Chip' job, as far as we are concern, is to report on the DAWGs, not to complain to us about the problems he is having doing his job. To use your analogy, if my job is to instruct students, but I get up there and complain about the problems I am having with administration, am I doing my job. The obvious answer is no......

• Options

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Get over it snowflake.
    I'm stuck being the outlier sometimes because most of you won't be critical where the program is concerned when it's warranted.
    I'm making points that wouldn't be made otherwise, you parrot what many others are posting.

You are the true snowflake pal. As you say, I am one of many and you are truly special. We are blessed with your presence here. We should all bow down to you genius! In your intelligence, you somehow are able to ignore all of ignorant people that are telling you that you aren’t so smart after all. Good job good buddy!

You are one of many, you're not original in thought or manner. I wouldn't brag about it.

• Options

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Was it not the other leg? If so, this being cleared crap is just that, crap.

• Options

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

You seem to be missing a lot of today's conversation.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Again with the "crap" comment.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20130711/after-acl-surgery-another-knee-injury-likely-study-suggests

This is a real thing. It has to do with how your brain takes a while to start trusting your injured knee again.

Again, I'm not saying that they necessarily made a mistake, but I do think they might reevaluate how they do things in the future.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

You seem to be missing a lot of today's conversation.

Nah, you just seem to be doing what you do best, nothing. I went and looked just to make sure and it was the other knee. So I ask again Dr. Wc, since it was the other knee, how is you argument about him practicing relevant?