Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Should a non conference champion make the playoffs?

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Article below from USA today has both UGA and Bama in the playoffs along with Clemson and Wisconsin.

I truly do believe that UGA and Bama will both be considered 2 of the best teams in the country at the end of the season, before the SEC championship game. However, should the loser of SECCG make it into the playoffs?

WHEN* UGA wins the SECCG game, do we want Bama in the playoffs? I would rather see them pack up their stuff and take it home to a new years bowl game instead of seeing them again in the playoffs.

Should a non conference champion make the playoffs?

Eventually we will see the playoffs expand to 8 teams and it will help a lot of this, but for now... what are you thoughts?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/09/12/bowl-projections-two-sec-teams-college-football-playoff-field/1267967002/

Comments

• Razor2027Razor2027 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you can't win your Conference championship, you can't be National Champion. And if you can't even win your Division, you have no business being considered one of the 4 best teams.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I would be willing to wager a #1 at CFA that we won't see UGA and Alabama make the playoffs this year

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It all depends on the other conferences. If the big 12 and big 10 and acc champs have one loss or less, I think the SEC sends only one team. But if OU drops a couple games, and bama is undefeated before we beat em in atlanta, I could see them giving bama the 4th seed again. They'd probably have to rank us 2nd cause nobody wants a ln immediate seccg rematch

• RockSpringDawgRockSpringDawg Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:
    And I would be willing to wager a #1 at CFA that we won't see UGA and Alabama make the playoffs this year

I see your wager and raise it to a value sized #1. If UGA & Bama are both undefeated going into the SECCG, I believe it’s more likely than not that both get into the playoffs.

Like @pippin888 said, it should be the best 4 teams, period.

• RockSpringDawgRockSpringDawg Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    It all depends on the other conferences. If the big 12 and big 10 and acc champs have one loss or less, I think the SEC sends only one team. But if OU drops a couple games, and bama is undefeated before we beat em in atlanta, I could see them giving bama the 4th seed again. They'd probably have to rank us 2nd cause nobody wants a ln immediate seccg rematch

Would the committee be more inclined to rank UGA & Bama in an order that wouldn’t see an immediate rematch in the first round, or to ensure there’s at least one different team in the CG this year?

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only problem with non-conference champs getting in is that the determination becomes even more subjective. Not taking away the fun of arguing over such decisions--I just don't want to be on the losing end of one. In the current playoff system someone is always going to have an argument that they should have been in, that it is a beauty contest, etc. It's why I favor expanded playoffs for conference champs.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Bama answered that question this year by not even winning their division and going on to beat two conference champs to win the Natty. If the goal is to select the four BEST teams (it should be), then yes non conference champs should be able to get in.

A conference title is definitely an important factor, but shouldn't be an end all, be all. Id you have two teams that are sitting at 12-1 and one is a conference champ and the other isn't then the champ will probably get in, unless the other team just played a way tougher schedule.

The selection process should (and does) look at several factors including conference champs, W-L record, SOS, and the "eye test". By saying "only conference champs" you greatly oversimplify the process.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Until the playoff is expanded to allow all conference champs and a couple of at large bids, yes.

8, or more, slots are required for this.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 4 best teams should be in the playoffs, but politics and $$$ always get in the way. Always have always will.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:

I agree with you, @tfk_fanboy. Unfortunately I don’t think Georgia would get the same consideration that Bama did last year...

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would greatly prefer knocking one week off the season and expanding the playoffs to eight teams, one champion from each of the Power 5 conferences, and the three best teams outstanding. Do two playoff rounds at the end of the season, and the Natty on NY's Day.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama didn't win their division or conference last yr but got in as the #4 seed. Bottom line is it depends on what kind of big game equity u have built up and teams like Ohio State and Bama have that in spades

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is why I think UGA needs to keep up these 20-30 point margins of victory. If at the end of the day, UGA isn't the SEC Champ, it'll be tough to get in because people will say "oh, look at their schedule. They won everything until they played a strong team." I want us to be able to say "sure, we had a down conference, but we dominated every one of them by 25 points." In other words, get plenty of material to make that "eye test" overly convincing.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    The 4 best teams should be in the playoffs, but politics and $$$ always get in the way. Always have always will.

What team has been left out that should have gotten in? TCU/Baylor in 2014? Penn State in 2016?

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RockSpringDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

I see your wager and raise it to a value sized #1. If UGA & Bama are both undefeated going into the SECCG, I believe it’s more likely than not that both get into the playoffs.

Like @pippin888 said, it should be the best 4 teams, period.

it is a bet, friend

one of us just needs to remember come the end of the season ha

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's best for ALL of college football if non-conference winners do not make the playoffs. If you can make the playoffs without winning your division or conference then w.t.h is the point in even having conferences?

• rwdennisrwdennis Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think the big thing that everyone overlooks in the case of last year is that the 2 teams from the same conference that got into the playoffs didn't play each other during the season or in the conf championship. If UGA and Bama meet in the SECCG, then the committee might view that as a play-in game. If one team defeats the other one in a head-to-head game, what purpose does it serve to put the loser in the playoffs? Of course, if 2 of the other conference champs are obviously inferior, then all bets are off.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    I think it's best for ALL of college football if non-conference winners do not make the playoffs. If you can make the playoffs without winning your division or conference then w.t.h is the point in even having conferences?

THAT is an interesting idea. The problem with that is that not all conferences are created equal and, there are 5 of them.