Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Playoff expansion

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

will not even be discussed until the original contract runs out. And IMO, you can't ask the kids to play more games to satisfy the talking heads and fans. Schools aren't going to pay their athletes anytime soon. That's a pipe dream, until the Power 5 conferences break away from the NCAA and do their own thing. That's years away. Plenty of kids are willing to take a free education. The quality of the game may suffer but that's the way it is right now. There isn't a D-league for football. It's an internship to the Pro's, just like anybody else taking an internship trying to break into their respective careers. Harsh but reality.

Comments

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem with that is that every other level of college football does it.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most employer's don't pay you for anything else than you agreed to when you signed up.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good, I don't want playoff expansion.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m good as long as the Dawgs get in and TCB.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Name the 6,7,8 seeds since 2012 who would have had a LEGITIMATE chance to win the 3 games necessary. Expanded playoffs at this level is pointless.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Name the 6,7,8 seeds since 2012 who would have had a LEGITIMATE chance to win the 3 games necessary. Expanded playoffs at this level is pointless.

UCF beat Auburn, who beat both teams that played for the NCG. I don't know if that's a legitimate shot but had there been 8 teams they would have been one of those teams.

I realize transitive property of football doesn't always work or else we could say Troy > LSWho? > Auburn > Bama.

Troy University 2018 National Champions! Print the shirts!

Troy didn't win it?

When UGA and Bama found out they didn't even need to play the championship games, as UCF had already crowned itself the national champs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ0uBqxl484&t=97s

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    When UGA and Bama found out they didn't even need to play the championship games, as UCF had already crowned itself the national champs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ0uBqxl484&t=97s

Never gets old haha

@Bankwalker said:

You'd never know for sure unless you played the games.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Noooooo expansion!

@PTDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

That's why you need a good resume game to get in, and why the regular season of college football is the best out of every sport in the world. It keeps pretty much the entire regular season like playoff game atmospheres. You lose, your chances of getting in dwindle mightily, and requires other teams to start losing... And according to your theory, we will never know if Ga Southern could knock off Bama in the championship game last year do we? Will never know, since they didn't play that game.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    will not even be discussed until the original contract runs out. And IMO, you can't ask the kids to play more games to satisfy the talking heads and fans. Schools aren't going to pay their athletes anytime soon. That's a pipe dream, until the Power 5 conferences break away from the NCAA and do their own thing. That's years away. Plenty of kids are willing to take a free education. The quality of the game may suffer but that's the way it is right now. There isn't a D-league for football. It's an internship to the Pro's, just like anybody else taking an internship trying to break into their respective careers. Harsh but reality.

Lower divisions already play more games. An 8 team playoff would only add 1 game to the max a team can play, and just 2 teams would play that extra game, it's a non-issue.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    Good, I don't want playoff expansion.

Commie !..... :)

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back in the day, the polls determined the national champs. There were incredible debates about the final poll. Nowadays, a very learned committee picks the top 4 teams and they play it off. There are now debates about the top 4 and their relative seedings. If we went to 8 or 16 history suggests there will be lots of debates about the top 8 or 16 and their seedings. We could make it so much simpler by letting the polls decide and then get right to the arguing/debating.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's just do a field of 68 like basketball

@Teddy said:

@PTDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

That's why you need a good resume game to get in, and why the regular season of college football is the best out of every sport in the world. It keeps pretty much the entire regular season like playoff game atmospheres. You lose, your chances of getting in dwindle mightily, and requires other teams to start losing... And according to your theory, we will never know if Ga Southern could knock off Bama in the championship game last year do we? Will never know, since they didn't play that game.

I wasn't advocating a random matchup for the national title. I was talking about creating opportunity for access to a playoff across the entire sport rather than just the power 5. Your GA Southern vs Bama example is a red herring and not relevant to the discussion.

• Devil03Dawg07Devil03Dawg07 Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I would be in favor of playoff expansion under these guidelines:
    — 5 PF conference champs + Top ranked non P5 team + 2 at large teams.
    — At large and seeding determined by committee
    — Go back to a 11 game schedule and reduce some of the powder puff games (yes, I know there is too much revenue involved here and likely won’t ever happen)

DD

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

I don't know if the 7th or 8th ranked teams would have a legitimate shot, but there's no doubt the 5th team, in most years, would.

2017 Ohio State
    2016 Penn State
    2015 Iowa
    2014 Baylor

Obviously you can't do a 5-team playoff, and maybe 8 teams is unwarranted, so I would propose a 6-team playoff as a compromise. The top two teams get a bye, which ensures the relevance of the regular season. (Everyone would still be trying to run the table to get a top-2 seed. One loss wouldn't kill your chances to secure one of the other four spots. But two losses, for most teams in most years, would.)

Another advantage to this approach, only four teams have to play an extra game compared to the status quo. It still wouldn't please everyone, but I think it would be an improvement.

@PTDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PTDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I wasn't advocating a random matchup for the national title. I was talking about creating opportunity for access to a playoff across the entire sport rather than just the power 5. Your GA Southern vs Bama example is a red herring and not relevant to the discussion.

My point with the example is the “we’ll never knows” don’t work well in this debate. Again, your resume’ is what matters. No deserving team has been left out yet.