Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

OT: Favorite Bourbon?

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With our new wonderful 5-star Chef Zone thanks to @JeffSentell where we can share some great recipes, I would like to ask what some of your favorite game day sipping whiskies or bourbons might be? I think the Chef Zone and topics like these may help break up the Fromm/Fields debates

Favorite top shelf: Blantons and EH Taylor Single Barrel
Mid tier: EH taylor straight rye and Michters small batch
less than 35 dollars: Crown Royal, EH taylor small batch, Weller and Buffalo Trace

Comments

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't know where it falls but Jefferson Reserve and Woodford Reserve are my favorite game days. I do like Buffalo Trace for sipping though and it is a very good price.

Bringing some Jefferson Reserve Groth Cask Finish with me to Jacksonville, looking forward to trying it.

• Big_PruneBig_Prune Posts: 134 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good ole Erk & Jerk.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My husband liked Woodford, too. A friend gave us a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood. It’s a Scotch whisky and my husband loves it. I haven’t been able to drink any since I’m expecting a baby. That’s the first request I’ll give when baby comes out...

• 706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Big_Prune said:
    Good ole Erk & Jerk.

Nooooooooooooo. Going to be a long night, lol. Might as well add some MD as a chaser.

@allyw said:
    My husband liked Woodford, too. A friend gave us a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood. It’s a Scotch whisky and my husband loves it. I haven’t been able to drink any since I’m expecting a baby. That’s the first request I’ll give when baby comes out...

Congrats!

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    With our new wonderful 5-star Chef Zone thanks to @JeffSentell where we can share some great recipes, I would like to ask what some of your favorite game day sipping whiskies or bourbons might be? I think the Chef Zone and topics like these may help break up the Fromm/Fields debates

Favorite top shelf: Blantons and EH Taylor Single Barrel
    Mid tier: EH taylor straight rye and Michters small batch
    less than 35 dollars: Crown Royal, EH taylor small batch, Weller and Buffalo Trace

Gentleman Jack pretty good for under 35 bunch.

• DooleyDooley Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

Top:
    Jack single barrel
    Woodford
    Blanton's
    Basil Hayden
    Middle:
    Four roses small batch
    Wild turkey Kentucky sprit
    Jim Beam Single Barrel

Bottom"
    Evan Williams black
    Jim Beam
    Jack
    Old Grand Dad bonded
    any... :)

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2018

@allyw said:

A wife that enjoys "red" liquor your husband is a lucky man. Good luck with the delivery.

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

Favorite Top Shelf: Whistle Pig's Boss Hog and Nikka's Whiskey Yoichi
    Mid Tier: Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, Stranahans Colorado Whiskey, and I agree with @PharmDawg2054 Michters small batch is great
    Less than $35: Buffalo Trace and Gentleman Jack

• chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bobby said:
    Mid Tier: Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, Stranahans Colorado Whiskey, and I agree with @PharmDawg2054 Michters small batch is great

You must be rich. That boss hog is like $600

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

@chattdawg said:

@bobby said:

Not rich. I had a pour at a restaurant with a longtime customer and thought it was sensational. He sent me a bottle a month later. A true rarity, a CUSTOMER sending you a gift.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@chattdawg said:

@bobby said:

I’ve had pours of Pappy’s and other stuff north of 600 dollars. My pocket book can’t keep those on the shelf at the house but I spend the 25-50 dollars for a pour of very expensive stuff from time to time.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DooleyDooley Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

bookers is nice as long as you go slow...so smooth you forget it is north of 100 proof, had a bottle last Christmas

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't had bourbon in years, but I prefer wheat to rye, Makers 46 is very good.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:
    Surprised no one has mentioned Maker's Mark.

It's become fashionable to dismiss Maker's, I'm a fan though, I prefer the warmth and smoothness of a wheater to the course bite of rye.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

I'm a scotch guy rather than bourbon, but I have to say that hat it you're ever in London or Scotland and get a chance to go to this place, SAY YES!!!

Its a membership club. They buy whole casks from all the distilleries, rank them all by taste profile and sell them. Single cask bottles from everywhere!

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Top Shelf- George T Stagg, William Larue Weller, Blanton's Straight From The Barrell
    Mid Shelf- Blanton's Single Barrell, Stagg Jr batch 9, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel and Barrel Proof
    Bottom Shelf- Weller 12 Antique and Special Reserve, EH Taylor single barrel, 4 Roses single barrel