Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A few thoughts on Justin Fields

DawgNationDailyDawgNationDaily Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Fields does indeed transfer I’ll be really disappointed — not just because UGA is losing a talented QB, but also because it seemed like Kirby never really had a plan for him.

In fact, he once famously said, “the plan is there is no plan.” I always assumed Kirby was exaggerating when he said that. As it turns out, maybe he wasn’t.

I’m filled with questions.

Should UGA’s coaches have known that Fields and his camp would be as uninterested in the team as they’ve maybe turned out to be?

Why didn’t they use him more like a regular QB in the games in which he played this season?

And why was a guy who was quite likely already contemplating his next team on the field for the most pivotal play of the most important game of UGA’s season?

The fake punt looks even dumber now.

I’ve said all year that UGA is better for having both Fromm and Fields, and if it doesn’t have both it won’t be as good next season as it could’ve been. Look at how crucial multiple QBs have been for Alabama the last two seasons as an example why UGA needs two capable performers at that position.

However, Fields is only a backup at UGA. Fromm earned the starting job for next season fair and square in the SEC Championship.

You don’t bench someone who made the throws Fromm made, and if Fields thinks he’s too good to sit the bench for another year then good riddance.

I personally hope the reports of Fields’ transfer turn out to be premature though.

UGA needs Fields.

But it can also live without him.

Comments

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily said:
    If Fields does indeed transfer I’ll be really disappointed — not just because UGA is losing a talented QB, but also because it seemed like Kirby never really had a plan for him.

In fact, he once famously said, “the plan is there is no plan.” I always assumed Kirby was exaggerating when he said that. As it turns out, maybe he wasn’t.

I’m filled with questions.

Should UGA’s coaches have known that Fields and his camp would be as uninterested in the team as they’ve maybe turned out to be?

Why didn’t they use him more like a regular QB in the games in which he played this season?

And why was a guy who was quite likely already contemplating his next team on the field for the most pivotal play of the most important game of UGA’s season?

The fake punt looks even dumber now.

I’ve said all year that UGA is better for having both Fromm and Fields, and if it doesn’t have both it won’t be as good next season as it could’ve been. Look at how crucial multiple QBs have been for Alabama the last two seasons as an example why UGA needs two capable performers at that position.

However, Fields is only a backup at UGA. Fromm earned the starting job for next season fair and square in the SEC Championship.

You don’t bench someone who made the throws Fromm made, and if Fields thinks he’s too good to sit the bench for another year then good riddance.

I personally hope the reports of Fields’ transfer turn out to be premature though.

UGA needs Fields.

But it can also live without him.

Mannnn, remember in the summer when you were saying that Kirby had a better handle on this situation than Saban. Boy, I wish that were true.

As usual, your balanced and composed thoughts are appreciated.

• BrotatoChip88BrotatoChip88 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well said, BA. The timing of this whole thing just seems so sketchy though.

I doubt the Fields wanted this info leaked but at the same time, what type of guy practices with his team while he's on the low plotting his next move to a possible SEC rival?

That's like me running around with some random after I kissed my wife goodbye earlier in the day.

I'm thankful we've got a leader like Fromm as QB1. But I will say the noise surrounding the program is worrisome to say the least.

Though this is the first season where I have followed recruiting THIS closely. Is it always like this round this time of year or is this troublesomely, new territory ahead?

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrotatoChip88 Good post. But we don’t know that Fields is looking at SEC rivals.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily do you think we really should platoon a sophomore QB as accomplished as Fromm with a true freshman? That is what it would probably take for Fields to get enough playing time to matter. Let's say Fields comes in during garbage time and played lights out--do you think the resulting controversy would be worth it?

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Surely he wouldn't have sabotaged that fake field goal, right?

Right?

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey @DawgNationDaily ...was the one in Chip's story the first official comment by the Fields clan? Story had been out for hours and they apparently made no effort to shut it down until the evening....

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    Hey @DawgNationDaily ...was the one in Chip's story the first official comment by the Fields clan? Story had been out for hours and they apparently made no effort to shut it down until the evening....

Would the Fields family know how to shut it down? Do they have any previous experience with the media?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:
    One thing that doesn’t add up about this Fields thing...

It was reported that Fields and his family have talked with coach smart multiple times in the past few weeks... why in the world is plumlee being asked to blueshirt. He is one of only TWO QBs for next year!!!! Why are we not doing everything in our power to make this kid sign on early signing day??

Or, maybe, there are some flaws in Wolken’s reports...

Wondered the same

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree.

I can’t speak for Fields but it was frustrating watching him this year and NOT because he was a backup but because they didn’t let him do anything...

He was used as a human battering ram and barely showcased his arm. If you want this generational talent and want them to win the position -I’m for it but when he does get to play - let him play. Not hand off the ball.

If your offense can’t accomodate his talent past safe throws and dump off passes then your fault.

He was getting rave reviews for his IQ and talents from top QB evaluators and you’re telling me he didn’t know the offense enough to throw the ball... I doubt it.

He should have played more mop up duty

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are a ton of inconsistencies in the Fields story, folks. This is a complete turnabout from what he said after the SECCG, if true. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances. The strangest thing to me is that Fields is in the pole position for leading this team in '20, assuming Fromm turns pro next year. Maybe Fromm told him he is likely staying, and Justin figures he won't see the field before '21? Perhaps Kirby flipped Hilsinki and Fields was insulted? Maybe it is personal between the staff and Fields? There has to be a lot more to this story. Fields is in the perfect position to get a great education, win a Natty or two, and perhaps a Heisman, and go to the NFL--all at UGA.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

If hes not 100 percent UGA let him go. Otherwise you will see a divided locker room. Also this opens a spot for a top level qb flip.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    There are a ton of inconsistencies in the Fields story, folks. This is a complete turnabout from what he said after the SECCG, if true. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances. The strangest thing to me is that Fields is in the pole position for leading this team in '20, assuming Fromm turns pro next year. Maybe Fromm told him he is likely staying, and Justin figures he won't see the field before '21? Perhaps Kirby flipped Hilsinki and Fields was insulted? Maybe it is personal between the staff and Fields? There has to be a lot more to this story. Fields is in the perfect position to get a great education, win a Natty or two, and perhaps a Heisman, and go to the NFL--all at UGA.

When it don't add up, adding a .99 to it don't matter. (Grammar is sic, folks).

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RetiredRedcoat said:
    Look at the difference post LSU. What was the main difference between the Florida game and every game prior?

We had a clearly defined starter who knew he was the starter.

I want Fields in Athens. I believe he is going to be an amazing talent wherever he goes. I am not hitting this forum with the classic Bama "he's only a luxury" mess. We could really use him on the roster. But be honest with yourselves: When Jacob Eason came out two years ago with that prototypical NFL physique, cannon arm, and sporting a full season under his belt along with a previous ranking of the #1 QB in the country...don't tell me that after he went down Fromm didn't come in and instantly pass every eye test as a major upgrade. You knew it instantly. You knew the moment you saw it. The offense clicked under him, and he had been given no time to develop. He had been given no time to learn protections. He was a true freshman.

Now compare that to what we saw out of Fields. Prototypical NFL physique, a cannon arm, the previous #1 QB in the country...and when he walked out there did you see an instant upgrade? Did you see the offense click? Don't talk to me about flashes. Talk to me about consistent, sustained, upgraded production. He consciously knew he was going to be developed, and had been told there will be times you will come in. And yet I never noticed a moment when I saw a significant upside out of the true freshman. Fields flashed for sure...but Fromm didn't flash. He walked into South Bend and won in his first career start.

I'm not saying that Fields isn't going to develop into an AMAZING quarterback. He is. He will at UGA if he stays, and he will anywhere else, too, to be totally honest. He's just that talented.

But let this marinate:

Jake Fromm has taken the job from one 5* top ranked QB already and didn't lose his job to another. When's the last time UGA had a QB like that? I want the chicken little gif. Kasey, where are you?

FIFY There is nothing that he did that a reasonable observer would conclude that. Talented, yes. Translating that into a top level SEC quality QB is another thing.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@RetiredRedcoat said:
    Look at the difference post LSU. What was the main difference between the Florida game and every game prior?

We had a clearly defined starter who knew he was the starter.

I want Fields in Athens. I believe he is going to be an amazing talent wherever he goes. I am not hitting this forum with the classic Bama "he's only a luxury" mess. We could really use him on the roster. But be honest with yourselves: When Jacob Eason came out two years ago with that prototypical NFL physique, cannon arm, and sporting a full season under his belt along with a previous ranking of the #1 QB in the country...don't tell me that after he went down Fromm didn't come in and instantly pass every eye test as a major upgrade. You knew it instantly. You knew the moment you saw it. The offense clicked under him, and he had been given no time to develop. He had been given no time to learn protections. He was a true freshman.

Now compare that to what we saw out of Fields. Prototypical NFL physique, a cannon arm, the previous #1 QB in the country...and when he walked out there did you see an instant upgrade? Did you see the offense click? Don't talk to me about flashes. Talk to me about consistent, sustained, upgraded production. He consciously knew he was going to be developed, and had been told there will be times you will come in. And yet I never noticed a moment when I saw a significant upside out of the true freshman. Fields flashed for sure...but Fromm didn't flash. He walked into South Bend and won in his first career start.

I'm not saying that Fields isn't going to develop into an AMAZING quarterback. He is. He will at UGA if he stays, and he will anywhere else, too, to be totally honest. He's just that talented.

But let this marinate:

Jake Fromm has taken the job from one 5* top ranked QB already and didn't lose his job to another. When's the last time UGA had a QB like that? I want the chicken little gif. Kasey, where are you?

This is not a chicken little situation. Most people have had reasoned takes on the issue yesterday and today. If anyone said something like "this is the end" that wasn't an obvious troll then I would break him out

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man Im fed up with these entitled prima donna QBs tucking tail and running when things aren't going their way. I guess when he (Fields) committed to Georgia he must have thought Grayson Lambert was the starter and he'd have the job by midseason. Well Grayson Lambert and Joe Cox Fromm is not IF that was the reason hes allegedly transferring.