Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Yup, one more(Fields)

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry for starting yet another thread but I’m bored so thought I’d share:

I was listening to the yahoo college football podcast on my drive earlier(I know, yahoo) with Forde, Wetzel, and Thamel. Three longtime writers at a number of outlets whether you like them or not, and they talked about QB2 for a good 10 minutes. One of them said he’d talked to someone associated with Fields earlier this week. He had done a story on Fields last year. Sounded like the transfer was a done deal and expected the waiver. They(the guys on the pod) openly talked about the lawyer from the Ole Miss players’ case, Thomas Mars.

One of them had done a story on the guy last year so presumably knows him enough to at least to have his number. Said the guy would do whatever it takes to get a client eligible. No, they didn’t say that they had seen a contract with Mars signed by Pablo but if this guy is being openly talked about in the national media then it would seem odd for him not to have heard of it and denied if he wasn’t. Or maybe, one of the Fields camp who isn’t busy talking to media on the DL could comment on it?

Again. Don’t believe them, doesn’t really matter to me, but these are guys who were CFB writers long before the age of twitter....think Chip Towers on a more national level. Yeah, I know, Wolken, but I listen to and read a lot of stuff and I get the feeling that the other guys in the field think he’s a joke. These aren’t guys who give a crap about making a splash or being first.

They also brought up an angle on getting the waiver that had something to do with Fields maybe being able to claim that he is looking at playing baseball too wherever he’s going and had to leave Georgia b/c...Sasser was on the baseball team when the incident went down. Sounds spurious to me but I wouldn’t put it past Ohio State to offer him a baseball scholarship too and find a way to game the system.

So... I guess write off the fact that most CFB people nationally and probably outside of Georgia think there’s plenty of fire behind the smoke, or just take it for whatever you think it’s worth. Tell me what hacks those guys are or if any of it sounds legit. I don’t know really but I have been smelling smoke.

https://sports.yahoo.com/podcasts/college/ You can find it on iTunes or whatever you use. The Fields talk is about 10 mins in...

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

It’s about 13:20 in. I just relistened. I lose track of whom is whom but one of the guys said “Mars has been retained by Justin fields’ family”. Again. TIFWIW but I don’t see these guys openly talking about it if they didn’t know...

I’m starting to wonder if the approximately 300 people who have been spouting off on various message boards and even calling into Finebaum for months about Fields won’t end up being the proverbial blind squirrels so I think this clip is appropriate: (and it’s from a fun movie lol)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0dhDdoLs
    I’m starting to hope Fields stays so I don’t have to hear it.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well now playing for the baseball team, that makes a lot more sense than “a guy yelled at me from the stands, I couldn’t hear what he said, but later I found out!” The UGA punishment on Sasser was too harsh. He should have received a multi-game suspension. I don’t think the baseball team would hold it against Fields. But I could see not wanting to go over there and play baseball after you were just involved in getting one of the players kicked off the team.

It’s still a stretch. But it’s not nearly as ridiculous as expecting the NCAA to impose a ruling that would cause an outbreak of people yelling the N-word at collegiate athletes who will all coincidentally be athletes who want to transfer without sitting out a year. They wouldn’t even have in common that they’re all black. Because some white athletes who wanted to transfer would try it too...

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

In that case he should absolutely be granted a waiver to be eligible immediately - IN BASEBALL.

He's transferring because he is the backup and everyone in the World knows he is transferring because he is the backup. You can't legitimately argue that you need to transfer because you don't feel welcome on the baseball team because of someone who isn't on the baseball team, especially when you haven't ever been on the baseball team to actually experience what you perceive to be allegedly being alleged in order to gain eligibility in a different sport. It's ridiculous, and abusive.

Either way, UGA football is going to be just fine.

He's also not that great of a baseball prospect. Scouts report says, "hand hitch load, tends to be late getting his hands moving forward, has late bat speed and can impact the ball hard when on time. "

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One baseball player's slur, one who was quickly dismissed from the team, should not--SHOULD NOT--rise to the level of creating a racially hostile environment. In this snowflake world I would not be surprised if he gets the waiver. If this is true and a Justin lied to get a waiver--I am so disappointed in him and disgusted with those family members who claim to be looking out for him.

@Bankwalker said:
    In that case he should absolutely be granted a waiver to be eligible immediately - IN BASEBALL.

He's transferring because he is the backup and everyone in the World knows he is transferring because he is the backup. You can't legitimately argue that you need to transfer because you don't feel welcome on the baseball team because of someone who isn't on the baseball team, especially when you haven't ever been on the baseball team to actually experience what you perceive to be allegedly being alleged in order to gain eligibility in a different sport. It's ridiculous, and abusive.

He's also not that great of a baseball prospect. Scouts report says, "hand hitch load, tends to be late getting his hands moving forward, has late bat speed and can impact the ball hard when on time. "

I agree it’s total BS but if that’s the angle it gives the NCAA the excuse to grant the waiver and while still pretty reprehensible IMO, it’s not as bad as tarring the whole university as racist. Definitely sounds like something a lawyer would come up with.

• HunkerDown1MoreTimeHunkerDown1MoreTime Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I agree it’s total BS but if that’s the angle it gives the NCAA the excuse to grant the waiver and while still pretty reprehensible IMO, it’s not as bad as tarring the whole university as racist. Definitely sounds like something a lawyer would come up with.

Not gonna happen

@HunkerDown1MoreTime said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Not gonna happen

I gotta give ya props my man. I think you’re wrong but I have to admire the optimism and steadfastness. Merry Christmas!

@scooterdawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Not gonna happen

I gotta give ya props my man. I think you’re wrong but I have to admire the optimism and steadfastness. Merry Christmas!

Thanks man! Merry Christmas to you too brother , go DAWGS!!!!

@JayDog said:
    One baseball player's slur, one who was quickly dismissed from the team, should not--SHOULD NOT--rise to the level of creating a racially hostile environment. In this snowflake world I would not be surprised if he gets the waiver. If this is true and a Justin lied to get a waiver--I am so disappointed in him and disgusted with those family members who claim to be looking out for him.

Bot one baseball player’s slur is not all that happened. Another thing that happened is that the baseball player was kicked off the team. And someone getting kicked off the team could easily cost long last hard feelings.

The “Justin wanna play baseball” argument would be weaker if the university hadn’t been so crass in their punishment of Sasser. Because if they hadn’t been, hard feelings on the baseball team wouldn’t be nearly as evident, If the University’s reaction would have been healing, they’d probably have more public comments from Sasser saying that’s not the environment that’s not the environment at UGA or on the baseball team. Instead they just decided, “we don’t want to deal with it, get rid of him”.

• Andrico9Andrico9 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

If pablo is smart field either stays and shuts his mouth or he goes to junior college so he will play next year. Him transfering and hoping for a waiver is not a guarantee. If the wavier does not work he will be inactive for a year and that is not good. Stay or go to juco.

@Bankwalker said:

I’m with ya on the baseball stuff. I’ll admit that I wasn’t following recruiting too closely last year. I certainly knew JF was a top football prospect but I initially thought they were talking out of their asses and had to google Justin Fields and baseball. There were a few stories about slight interest from scouts but nothing like the Oklahoma kid.

But in the screwed up logic of the NCAA I can see them giving in on it as the path of least resistance. They don’t want the racial headlines to go any further than Georgia does. Blame it on one guy who’s gone, let Fields play next year, and it pretty much goes away without a lot of fuss.

Sounds like Pablo may have had legal advice earlier than last week.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Columbo said:
    This might be the best Zone Read Fields executed all year about feeling uncomfortable playing on the baseball team itself with friends of Sasser. This takes away being uncomfortable with the UGA campus itself, so that his sister can still attend UGA and play softball.

Nice work Scooterdawg, I might be interested in you joining my investigation team!

Hey Columbojangles, where can I get an application? I'd like to join your investigation team too.

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

@scooterdawg said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Not gonna happen

Thanks man! Merry Christmas to you too brother , go DAWGS!!!!

This is absolutely in NO way going to happen period end of story - fields case is not like any other and it is absolutely meritless in the eyes of the NCAA - precedent has been set recently for kids denied with much better cases than this.

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I’m with ya on the baseball stuff. I’ll admit that I wasn’t following recruiting too closely last year. I certainly knew JF was a top football prospect but I initially thought they were talking out of their asses and had to google Justin Fields and baseball. There were a few stories about slight interest from scouts but nothing like the Oklahoma kid.

But in the screwed up logic of the NCAA I can see them giving in on it as the path of least resistance. They don’t want the racial headlines to go any further than Georgia does. Blame it on one guy who’s gone, let Fields play next year, and it pretty much goes away without a lot of fuss.

Yet he stayed 3 full months longer and nothing else has happened. Nobody on the baseball team has done anything. Fields didn’t do anything to cause him to get kicked out of school. He would be alleging that the baseball team is racist even though the other players have not done anything to support the claim. Bogus. Im sure they do expect him to be eligible but the facts do not support his case.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

NO MORE THREADS ABOUT JUSTIN FIELDS, IT'S BEYOND OLD AND BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    STOP THE MADNESS!!!

NO MORE THREADS ABOUT JUSTIN FIELDS, IT'S BEYOND OLD AND BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!

Know that I shall start a new one if you keep trying to ruin this one

@Bankwalker said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Yet he stayed 3 full months longer and nothing else has happened. Nobody on the baseball team has done anything. Fields didn’t do anything to cause him to get kicked out of school. He would be alleging that the baseball team is racist even though the other players have not done anything to support the claim. Bogus. Im sure they do expect him to be eligible but the facts do not support his case.

No case. Lol

You guys with the “no case” comments. Are we just supposed to accept the random usernames you’ve chosen as authoritative? Or where you guys planning on coming back later with what you guys knew about past NCAA rulings that indicated there would be no case?

I don’t pretend to know that the “Justin wanna play baseball” argument would work. I just know it’s a hell of a lot better than the “Justin couldn’t hear it when it happened, but someone yelled at him” argument.