Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Bacon Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I, for one, love bacon. With eggs, without eggs, in a BLT, in a burger, even in a quiche when feeling fancy. For health reasons, I've taken to turkey bacon but it's definitely not the same. Some times I just need the real thing.

In case anyone overindulges in bacon today, it's also National Bicarbonate Of Soda Day. I can think of a few coaches who may be imbibing some of this today. Some rough bowl games.

Comments

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For real. Wife just cooked whole pack before leaving on shopping trip. I think I can eat entire pack, but will share with daughter

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I shall celebrate the day by pairing with venison backstrap.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    I shall celebrate the day by pairing with venison backstrap.

ooh, very nice.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just saw a chef on TV who had prepared chocolate covered bacon with powdered sugar.

@Columbo said:
    I just saw a chef on TV who had prepared chocolate covered bacon with powdered sugar.

That's some serious cookin' there.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Columbo said:

I have tried that at a wedding reception minus the powdered sugar. Was good. Thought it was bbqed bacon though

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This seems like a deliberate slap in the face to sausage, especially the little hot link variety.....that is all.

@WCDawg said:
    This seems like a deliberate slap in the face to sausage, especially the little hot link variety.....that is all.

size matters.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I cook it on the grill over indirect heat when I can. The family loves it.

Also, every day should be bacon day.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm celebrating today with some Whole Foods thick cut Black Forrest bacon. It's really good!

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wife has been doing Keto for about a year now. Lots of real bacon. We like bacon. I also use bacon with venison recipes, try fresh tenderloin with an additional 50% by weight chopped bacon or country ham and a good sweet onion, cook low and slow. Mmmmm.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ill have to get into some of my bacon infused bourbon this evening

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wooohoooo bros. Love this day! Going to grill ups some bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños I’m honor of this day

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like we would be remiss to not mention the king of bacon.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@allyw said:

I can never get the bacon done enough without cooking the shrimp too much. What's the secret?

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DirtDawg said:

@allyw said:

I can never get the bacon done enough without cooking the shrimp too much. What's the secret?

Cook the shrimp somewhat first and then wrap finish on a high heat

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@DirtDawg said:

@allyw said:

Opposite. Pre-cook the bacon.

@Bankwalker said:

@JRT812 said:

@DirtDawg said:

@allyw said:

Have never cooked this dish but I'd go with option # 2 - pe-cook the bacon and let it finish with the shrimp.

@Bankwalker said:

@JRT812 said:

@DirtDawg said:

@allyw said:

Guess whatever works to get the end result that is desired