Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Do you stand for the National Anthem?

BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited August 2017 in Off Topic

With all the controversy I was just wondering everyone's take.

Do you stand for the National Anthem? 53 votes

Yes, everyone should
71%
SavageDawg17BamaDawgamjadawgsBigGAdawgDawgNutHankdradcliffdawgnmsReeldawgJGoodmandawgbybirthPalm_City_Dawgmattmd2ColDawgtfk_fanboydawgfan1873Shawn1414tlynch1968SnoopDawgmlee 38 votes
No (insert your on reason)
5%
CaliforniaDawgAlexander_Reynejt200 3 votes
I don't care either way
22%
donmOriginal_BDDaveSWARLES_BARKLEYCharlestowneDawglevanderbubbadawgjaynole81cliffhangerladawg12edfareastdawgAgDawg 12 votes

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I don't care either way

Wow, and after giving me **** several times for bringing up anything he can stretch and call politics...

That right there sir, that is a rant.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No (insert your on reason)

I would be getting way too off topic if I gave my reasons, but I kneel every time for the pledge of allegiance since the latter part of 2016. My forefathers fought in the American revolution and the Civil War for the Union army. I believe in the principals they fought for.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2017
    Yes, everyone should

...deleted

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, everyone should

@levander said:
    Wow, and after giving me **** several times for bringing up anything he can stretch and call politics...

well, wild guess I would say this is a politically themed thread and the others were not?

• hashmarkhashmark Posts: 76 ✭✭ Sophomore
    Yes, everyone should

To each there own,But remember a lot of great people passed for our freedom standing to me shows respect for our fallen heros My dad was a vet just like i was

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod
    Yes, everyone should

Freedom to do what you want, and freedom to suffer the consequences ala Kapernick.

If you don't respect the flag or the anthem at the least you should respect the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice so you could express your disrespect.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2017

A) this is a poorly written poll question

B ) we've got some open minded people around here. Considering the normal discussions that hover around this topic I was expecting it too be much more volatile.

edited August 2017
    I don't care either way

@tfk_fanboy said:

@levander said:

well, wild guess I would say this is a politically themed thread and the others were not?

Whether or not you stand for the national anthem isn't a political statement to a lot of people. Debating events that led to ending a war is another thing entirely.

But the post doesn't even bother me personally. It was just weird seeing a post like that from a guy scrounging the forum, fussing when I use the word media and assuming I meant political media and acting like I violated the posted board rules we got. But now he wants to debate what led to the end of the Vietnam war on here.

I don't care either way

@KingoftheSouth said:

B ) we've got some open minded people around here. Considering the normal discussions that hover around this topic I was expecting it too be much more volatile.

All poll questions are poorly worded. They debate endlessly over how even the professionally done polls should be worded.

I'm actually somewhere in between an "I don't care" and a "yes" on this poll. But the way the "yes" answer is worded, how it includes the word "should" I thought took it a little too far, so I went with "I don't care".

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2017
    Yes, everyone should

@KingoftheSouth said:

1. I didn't mean to pigeonhole anyone with the way I wrote the question or the choices. I thought the question was pretty straight forward, KISS principle and all. Maybe my yrs answer was a little strong, as @levander pointed out. But either way, there are really only 3 choices, yes/no/don't care.

2. Since it doesn't meet your standards, how would you have written it?

I don't care either way

@BamaDawg said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1. I didn't mean to pigeonhole anyone with the way I wrote the question or the choices. I thought the question was pretty straight forward, KISS principle and all. Maybe my yrs answer was a little strong, as @levander pointed out. But either way, there are really only 3 choices, yes/no/don't care.

2. Since it doesn't meet your standards, how would you have written it?

I thought about it a little after typing that and decided I actually did like the way you wrote the question. Or more specifically, the answers. Like yeah, "yes, everyone should" is very strongly worded. But so is "I don't care either way". It's like if you're kind of between the two, it forces you to make a straight edged choice. And since the point of polls is to get an answer from pre-defined answers, that's what you want. Someone to have to make a well defined choice.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I mean it's a yes/no question right? Do you stand for the national anthem.

A) Yes
    B) No
    C) Sometimes

I think you tried to blend the answers into a different question and associate one thing with another. So you could say, "Do you take issue with people making a political/social statement during the national anthem"?

A.) yes
    B.) no
    C.) sometimes

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, everyone should

I posted a long comment on this, but saw “your post will appear once approved.” Not sure what I said that could have violated any rules. But in a nutshell, the National Anthem is, or at least “should be” a tribute to the many lives lost/given to keep USA as the best country in the world to be a citizen. Yes, there are “other” issues stemming from it, but those are different issues than showing the well earned respect for our country. Those issues should be addressed through a different means. This is JUST imo, don’t want to offend anyone.

And it is up to us – the DAWG fans on this forum to keep this placid and I do believe the majority of the members will do just that.

I don't care either way

@KingoftheSouth If you just want to take the question literally and know what the individual's personal policy on his standing for the anthem is, you've got the right way to word the answers I think. But the way the answers were worded, I think Bama was also interested in people's opinions on whether other people besides just yourself should stand for the flag.

• SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    I don't care either way

I just really, really don't like Florida. Maybe not relevant but had to get that out there.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, everyone should

@LarryMunson are you infatuated w/ @BamaDawg

What's the deal man? You Down Vote everyone of his post. Very very Childish!!!!