Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Change of pace topic, The Hawks' John Collins is starting to look elite..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 2019 in Basketball

At just barely 21 years old he has made huge advances year over year and he gets better by the month.
Now he's hitting 3 pt shots at a high rate. After going 3 of 3 on 3s with 14 rebounds and 19 pts on 75% shooting last night he is showing a rare combination of skills and athleticism.

Over his last 8 games he's averaging 19 pts, 11.8 rebounds, 2 assists and he's hit a remarkable 11 of 20 3 pt attempts. Those are numbers tailor made for the current NBA game.

Comments

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Too bad he's in Atlanta..

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was a steal in the draft. Schlenk is going to need to find a few more of those.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Always depends on what is meant by elite, but this looks like one heck of a building block and one heck of a value at that pick. If Young can improve, while the team tanks and they can get at least a top 3 pick and make a solid pick with the Mavs selection this really could be a great turnaround, getting out of the jut good enough not to be really any good cycle.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:
    Always depends on what is meant by elite, but this looks like one heck of a building block and one heck of a value at that pick. If Young can improve, while the team tanks and they can get at least a top 3 pick and make a solid pick with the Mavs selection this really could be a great turnaround, getting out of the jut good enough not to be really any good cycle.

He's now projecting as a 25ppg, 12 rebound per game, 3 to 4 assists per game 35% to 40% 3 pt and 60% overall shooter in the near future. If he hits those marks, he'll be elite by any standard.

Do you still think Barrett is the right choice as a complement to Collins? I have seen multiple mock drafts that had the Hawks taking Bol Bol with the Mavs pick. Talk about a risky choice.

edited January 2019

@TNDawg71 said:
    Do you still think Barrett is the right choice as a complement to Collins? I have seen multiple mock drafts that had the Hawks taking Bol Bol with the Mavs pick. Talk about a risky choice.

Williams is obviously separating himself from the pack now, but we likely won't land the top pick. Phoenix is tanking for the 4th straight year, they are shameless. We'll likely have between the 3rd and 7th pick, so we might not have the option of taking Barrett, but I do think he'd be a very good fit if he's available.
    I'd be shocked if we take Bol, he doesn't fit the GS model at all.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

I think I read where Bol Bol was hurt - I wonder if his body will hold up...

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

I think I read where Bol Bol was hurt - I wonder if his body will hold up...

He was injured a few days back.

Is it bad that I'm hoping to maybe see if they could trade Prince or Lin for something and tank as well?

@TNDawg71 said:
    Is it bad that I'm hoping to maybe see if they could trade Prince or Lin for something and tank as well?

I want Barrett, but Lin and Prince have long term value, so I don't think it's wrong, but I'm not sure it'd be a good tradeoff either.

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

I want Barrett, but Lin and Prince have long term value, so I don't think it's wrong, but I'm not sure it'd be a good tradeoff either.

Yeah I don't want to just dump them, I was hoping to a contender that might give them decent future assets in return.

edited January 2019

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Yeah I don't want to just dump them, I was hoping to a contender that might give them decent future assets in return.

Prince in particular has a lot of upside and he fits the GS mold. He has great tools to develop into to top notch defender.
    Lin is young enough to be our backup PG for a long time. He is efficient, which I like.
    If we can get enough return maybe, but like you said, I wouldn't give either away.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do we get the Dallas pick it they are in the lottery ?
    ght

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

@TNDawg71 said:

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

So it could be # 6, right, if the season's record turns out good for us?

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

Yes and depending on the lottery

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

How does that work? Do they draw for the top 14 slots?

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

Yes in a very boring fashion

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@LD10 said:
    ght

Top 5 protected

Yes in a very boring fashion

So when do we know if the pick is in the "protected zone" or not. I've not watched that particular show.

It is usually somewhere late in the playoffs or during the finals.