Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

It's looking like The Hawks have a solid young core of talent...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm surprised at the progress these young guys are making. I count 7 guys who can contribute to a competitive team.

John Collins - he's averaging 19.1 pts, 10.4 rebounds and 2.4 assist while shooting north of .600 when adjusted for3s.

Trae Young - I was too quick to qualify when he shot horribly early in the season. Over the past 10 games he's shooting over .430, which
isn't bad for a barely 20 year old PG. His passing is already elite, he just needs to hit 3s at a higher rate and cut down on the turn overs a bit.

Kevin Huerter - another rookie who is coming on. He's averaging 14.7 ppg over his last 10 games.

Alex Len - 25 year old 7'1'' center who is making big strides.

Dwayne Dedmon - solid big who can rebound and defend.

Deandre Bembry - athletic long big hybrid.

Kent Bazemore - solid young SG, the last GM overpaid, but he can do a lot of things well enough to be useful.

Spellman also has potential, he needs to lose weight and stay healthy though.

Comments

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thoughts about it:

1. We will never be able to bring in an elite player to lead them, much like the Horford/Smith/Teague years. Frustrating.
    2. I wouldn't call Baze "young" any longer. He is also on the trading block.
    3. I am cautiously optimistic about where we could be in a couple of years!
    4. Taureen Prince is coming back. Don't forget him!
  • sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dedmon, Bembry, and Baze are not a part of our long term plans. Could be used for assets maybe

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

1. We will never be able to bring in an elite player to lead them, much like the Horford/Smith/Teague years. Frustrating.

I was hoping to tank a little more than what they are showing right now. Just need to hope to get lucky in the lottery or make another Collins type pick.
    As for Collins, watch him recently and he is looking beastly.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

I was hoping to tank a little more than what they are showing right now. Just need to hope to get lucky in the lottery or make another Collins type pick.

He has been a stud as of late. This season is starting to mirror what we have done in past seasons in regards to the lottery versus the playoffs: good (or bad) enough to be there but not good (or bad) enough to make an impact.

Just reread that. Confusing, I know. It makes since in my head though.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

He has been a stud as of late. This season is starting to mirror what we have done in past seasons in regards to the lottery versus the playoffs: good (or bad) enough to be there but not good (or bad) enough to make an impact.

I get it Biff. If you are going to tank, do a first rate job of it. Tank badly enough to get a top 2 or 3 pick, or at least a better shot at a top pick. If you are going to s.u.c.k do a first rate job of it. Don't do anything half-arsed.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

The Warriors didn't have to sign a free agent to win their first title. Maybe Young and Collins will be the keys to the not really promised but hoped for land.

@donm said:

@BiffLowman said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

I get it Biff. If you are going to tank, do a first rate job of it. Tank badly enough to get a top 2 or 3 pick, or at least a better shot at a top pick. If you are going to s.u.c.k do a first rate job of it. Don't do anything half-arsed.

It's clear there isn't a plan to be a perennial tank team like Phoenix has been going on 4 years. There will be players available at 4 thru 8, which is likely the margin we're looking at.

@sauceddawg said:
    Dedmon, Bembry, and Baze are not a part of our long term plans. Could be used for assets maybe

Other than perhaps Bazemore I don't think decisions have been made.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still should have taken Doncic

edited January 2019

@YaleDawg said:

Doncic is looking very good, but even if Young is a notch below him the 1st rd pick from Dallas could end up being an important factor.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im really starting to like what Im seeing from this team. Looks like we're gonna build around Collins, Young, and Heurter and Alex Len looks like a keeper as well. Admittedly I haven't completely gotten over not taking Jaren Jackson so I haven't been paying real close attention but from what I can c with my untrained eyes is a team that could make the playoffs next season and give someone a scare once they're in. Hey perennial tanking ain't for everybody. I prefer to b competive now and looks like that is starting to happen. 2 1st round picks next year will hopefully produce 2 more building blocks and hopefully allow us to lure a big name FA in a year or 2. LETS GO HAWKS!!! LETS GO HAWKS!!! LETS GO HAWKS!!!! Thanks for the thread.

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Doncic is looking very good, but even if Young is a notch below him the 1st rd pick from Dallas could end up being an important factor.

Yeah, if we get the 6th-9th pick it might be worth it

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

We could land the 2nd to 6th with The Hawks pick and from 4th to 9th with the Dallas pick. The draft is looking a lot better now with some very good talent emerging. Just one good pick and pay dirt with the other pick could really cement the roster by 2021. We have 2 mid-level stars developing at worst in Collins and Young, plus 3 to 5 others who will be valuable long term assets on roster now.

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

We could land the 2nd to 6th with The Hawks pick and from 4th to 9th with the Dallas pick. The draft is looking a lot better now with some very good talent emerging. Just one good pick and pay dirt with the other pick could really cement the roster by 2021. We have 2 mid-level stars developing at worst in Collins and Young, plus 3 to 5 others who will be valuable long term assets on roster now.

Dallas pick is top 5 protected

edited January 2019

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

That's correct, it slipped my mind. So likely between 6th and 9th.

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

It happens. I only remember because i'm still bitter about the trade

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

It happens. I only remember because i'm still bitter about the trade

Heck I've posted the fact it's top 6 protected myself several times, it just slipped my mind.

edited January 2019

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

I counted 8 and started the OP with ''8'', then I couldn't think of the 8th and being of lazy mind and body I changed to 7 to avoid having to wander over to ESPN to refresh my memory. No doubt Prince has a chance to be an important player for the team in the future. He's got huge upside on defense. Length, strength, lateral quickness, solid instincts, it's all there.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody else on here thinks Kobe Bryant was overated? He missed more shots than any player in NBA history as he played out his Michael Jordan fantasies, he never, ever shot even 45% from the field or 35% from 3. He was insecure playing with other superstars because it was supposed to b all about him, he was an inefficient high volume gunner who was not as good in the clutch as his reputation suggest. He was profoundly narcissistic and could barely tolerate lesser beings breathing his air. And, uh, just never liked the dude, know what Im sayin?

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MeR3htid said:
    Anybody else on here thinks Kobe Bryant was overated? He missed more shots than any player in NBA history as he played out his Michael Jordan fantasies, he never, ever shot even 45% from the field or 35% from 3. He was insecure playing with other superstars because it was supposed to b all about him, he was an inefficient high volume gunner who was not as good in the clutch as his reputation suggest. He was profoundly narcissistic and could barely tolerate lesser beings breathing his air. And, uh, just never liked the dude, know what Im sayin?

tough to tell if his whole socio thing was for real or just an act for the media. As far as his inefficiency I agree. He did work well with Pau but other than that....if you smell shiit everywhere you walk look at you own shoes