Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA hoops makes me mad!

dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

There’s no reason Georgia hoops isn’t competitive. They’ve now been blown out in 3 of 4 SEC games. Not acceptable. I’m not saying they should win the conference but c’mon, this is embarrassing.

Comments

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

New stadium or practice facilities need to help sell recruits. I would take kirby's philosophy and inject money into the program and recruit your a$$ off. Remember money spent on basketball is not money spent on football just saying.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you were a basketball player and did not grow up being bred on UGA athletics... why on earth would you even consider coming to UGA over other programs if you are a good player?

UGA has recruited outside the top 5 in the SEC each year and in the country has recruited outside the top 30 each year.

Can you imagine how our football program would be if we recruited outside of the top 30 each year?

basketball at UGA does not have the history or facilities

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Far from surprising when Fox failed to develop all of his 2015 class.

One bust might be on a bad miss, but missing on every single player outside of Ogbeide is on the coach, and it was.

There are NO legit guards on the team outside of Crump as a sparkplug right now, and it's on Fox for not letting the kids he did get have a better shot to at least TRY to learn on the court. Like I've said elsewhere, practice ONLY actually does not develop players. Nic Claxton isn't running point for kicks and giggles, he's legit the ONLY decent passer on the team.

With Yante Maten gone, the overall outcome of the season will not be much of a surprise.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If you were a basketball player and did not grow up being bred on UGA athletics... why on earth would you even consider coming to UGA over other programs if you are a good player?

UGA has recruited outside the top 5 in the SEC each year and in the country has recruited outside the top 30 each year.

Can you imagine how our football program would be if we recruited outside of the top 30 each year?

basketball at UGA does not have the history or facilities

Interesting debate. I share OP's frustration but also agree with this assessment. The BIG question is a two-parter: 1) Is McGarity determined to change the basketball culture in Athens?
    2) Is Crean the right man for the job?

I think Crean is the best basketball man we've had on campus since Tubby Smith. Give him time, then pay him what it takes to keep him.

Will McGarity give him what he needs to be successful? I don't know, but it's worth noting that McGarity was at UF when they hired Billy Donovan (1996) and changed the culture in Gainesville. Donovan had a losing record his first two seasons but made the NCAA Tournament in his third year, signed a long-term contract, then won it all in his 10th season (and again in his 11th).

I'm in favor of giving Crean 3-4 years to show what he can do, and I'd love the UGA alumni and fan base to demand that McGarity take significant steps to support the basketball program.

We find a way to excel in tennis and swimming and gymnastics. There's no reason we can't excel in basketball (and baseball) in addition to football.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia has a mens basketball team? Great. Isaih Wison will b our version of. Zion Williamson.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love CTC’s enthusiasm, but he’s going to have to be able to recruit if he’s going to improve the program. Claxton is the only player we have that seems to have the talent to be a good starter in the SEC. Our guard play has been terrible, can’t shoot or pass the ball. We desperately need a point guard who can hit outside shots and drive the ball. Not a big fan of our offensive system, too much passing the ball around out on the perimeter until the shot clock runs down and then throwing up a 3-pointer, which we are hitting at a low-percentage. Hopefully we can recruit better talent with all the enthusiasm around the program that CTC has built.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amazing how many great basketball coaches we have on this forum in addition to the numerous wonderful FB coaches. We are blessed.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

After National Signing Day and before Spring Practice, send Pittman out for two days to recruit the front line and Coley & Dell McGee to recruit the backcourt. Give each of them an extra $100K out of an increased basketball budget.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If u rally want to jumpstart Georgias dormant Mens Basketball program just take the top 15 basketball players off of the football team and let them play in their full football uniforms minus the cleats. Our 3 point shooting would suffer but our defense, rebounding, and points in the paint would more than make up for it.

• UGAJ0EUGAJ0E Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There are bright spots to this team and I'm buying what Crean has been doing. He just needs more time.

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

So far today they’ve been awful. No scoring.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thing that's kind of sad is unless he is as confident and bullheaded as JJ Frazier was, I KNOW Ashton Hagans doesn't make a difference outside of on defense if Fox is still here and he does actually come.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Got to have a couple of ball handlers.... Claxton playng up high is insane. But whatchagonnado. Its year 1. Give it time.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia basketball is like the Cleveland Browns of SEC basketball. Apparently our 2002 season was vacated, so we haven't done anything relevant since 1996 and we have the longest drought in the SEC without a NCAA tournament win.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dogbiscuit34 said:
    There’s no reason Georgia hoops isn’t competitive. They’ve now been blown out in 3 of 4 SEC games. Not acceptable. I’m not saying they should win the conference but c’mon, this is embarrassing.

Research shows that a perception of unfairness is necessary condition for anger to occur. What do you see as unfair in your case here - anger with UGA hoops. Just curious. Wondering if it might be frustration more than anger.