Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is this good or bad advice?

umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was taken from a USCe message board where someone was asking advice for a first date. Is this good or bad advice?

“Wait, you said not expensive? Doesn't that pretty much cover everything in Gaston or Swansea?
Seriously, first dates are to impress so take her to Ruth's Chris on Senate St near the Capital in Cola.
Call ahead to make reservations, explain it's a special occasion for two and you'd like a good waiter as well as a quiet table. (Dont say what the occasion is they'll just assume it's big)
Pick her up in time to relax and enjoy the short ride into Cola preferably after dark so as you come over the hill on 321 past the Food Lion (or whatever it is now) you can comment on how beautiful the skyline lights of downtown Cola appear but they truly can't hold a candle to just how beautiful she looks tonight!
Once at RC's prove just how special you think she is by pulling up to the entrance and using the valet parking. They'll ask your party name and from there the staff takes over.
Trust me on this, eat before you pick her up as you want to join her in eating at the restaurant but not a big meal; (pull up their drink menu before you go and pick a simple wine or mixed drink you feel she'll like (ask her friends). As soon as the waiter appears order both your drinks as if you do this often as well as the appetizer - BBQ Shrimp. It's tasty simple and reasonably price. Girls enjoy shrimp. Plus it begins to fill her stomach as she'll need to because she will end up ordering a salad for dinner. If you order something she likes she'll be that more impressed by your efforts).
When the menus come allow her to place her order first by insisting she feel free to order whatever she desires and encourage her to take her time, no rushing you said she's pretty so enjoy the scenery. They never order steak so it wont be expensive. Bet she orders the Wedge Salad.**never appear to be looking at any prices! Big turnoff*** You then follow up by ordering a small steak or something similar because you'll have already viewed the menu b4 hand. The Pork Chop runs about $28 and is easy to cut as well as eat slowly in smaller chunks. Women like men who are decisive and know what they want! You're not hungry so your meal will not be expensive nor large so you have time to actually talk to her instead of chewing chucks of meat! You know Toby Keith wrote that song "I wanted talk about me" for a reason. Southern Ladies will never admit it but they do want to talk about themselves and they want you to be overwhelmingly interested in them, so talk to her about her! Don't brag about yourself cause you can get into your own pants anytime you like, her's is a different story especially if she has some class about herself.
How you end the dinner and before you have the car brought around will determine where your future lays with this young lady. After the table is clear, order coffee even if you hate the stuff, ladies love coffee and ordering it as if you just always do so after meals will tell her you're totally different than any other guy she's dated. If you cant drink the stuff just sip it. She'll drink it! Don't ask if she would like some just order it!!!!
About half way thru the cup of coffee sit up all excited and ask her if she's ever had Creme Brulee and insist she try it......most young ladies havent and it'll be a treat for her and show her you're adventurous.
Now if the evening has progress like you hoped in other words she is enjoying your company and you hers, then order one Brulee with two spoons! Again, encourage her to try it first, wait for her reaction then laughing dip your spoon in. Her reaction afterwards will tell you all you need to know about how she is now feeling about you. If shes offended you put your spoon in her Brulee, then you're in trouble and this date just got panic 911!
Again, if she's into you you'll know it by now, so remember to stay relaxed and not in a rush. Let her enjoy being the Princess as long as possible.
When all is ready request the check. A good waiter never brings it, they wait until you request it. And please make sure the **** card works before you get to the restaurant! Never pay with cash - that yells, broke & I still live with my Mom! Even if you do you don't want to admit it.
Finally, assuming all has gone well, just before handing your car ticket to the valet, ask her if she's ever seen the State House at night. Don't wait for an answer just take her hand and walk her over. Taking your time walk her around the entire building pointing out where Sherman's troups hit the building with their cannons. Front right corner where the stars mark the spots. This tells her you're smart and interesting. Then find a lighted area to sit and talk. Sit next to her and if it's chilly take your coat off (you are wearing a sports coat right? Blazer w/pressed jeans and nice white cotton button down colar shirt, no golf shirts or tee shirts with **** blasting out) and place it over her shoulders without asking. What you're hoping/looking for is her sneaking a smell and smiling, if she does you're in the red zone! What you do from here is your business but she'll never forget you and even if it doesn't work out between you two, 2 things will happen in the future. 1) she'll never forget you and will compare every other guy to you. 2) she'll tell all of her girl friends how nice and wonderful your date was and every single one of them will be wanting to date YOU!
All this impressing will cost you around $150-200! Oh and dont forget to drive the Focus, Pinto, Clunker, SUV or even Red neck deer hunting truck through a car wash and yes pay the extra $5 for the interior cleaning with the Baby Fresh smelling stuff! She might live in Redneckville, I have family there as well, but for once she'd love not to be treated like she's Gretchen Wilson's baby sister and instead appreciated for just being an intelligent, beautiful young lady. Treat her right, get to know her then take her out on that four wheeler and your muddy girl dreams will come true!
Don't screw this up!”

Is this good or bad advice? 18 votes

Good
16%
KaseyJimWallaceIevander 3 votes
Bad
83%
donmhow2fishlevanderVaBeachDawginsertusernamehereBigDawg747christopherulesJRT812BankwalkerHumbleYourselfbenjaminwgreggFirePlugDawgLowcountryDawg21YaleDawgBulldawg1982 15 votes

Comments

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:
    This was taken from a USCe message board where someone was asking advice for a first date. Is this good or bad advice?

“Wait, you said not expensive? Doesn't that pretty much cover everything in Gaston or Swansea?

Seriously, first dates are to impress so take her to Ruth's Chris on Senate St near the Capital in Cola.

Call ahead to make reservations, explain it's a special occasion for two and you'd like a good waiter as well as a quiet table. (Dont say what the occasion is they'll just assume it's big)

Pick her up in time to relax and enjoy the short ride into Cola preferably after dark so as you come over the hill on 321 past the Food Lion (or whatever it is now) you can comment on how beautiful the skyline lights of downtown Cola appear but they truly can't hold a candle to just how beautiful she looks tonight!

Once at RC's prove just how special you think she is by pulling up to the entrance and using the valet parking. They'll ask your party name and from there the staff takes over.

Trust me on this, eat before you pick her up as you want to join her in eating at the restaurant but not a big meal; (pull up their drink menu before you go and pick a simple wine or mixed drink you feel she'll like (ask her friends). As soon as the waiter appears order both your drinks as if you do this often as well as the appetizer - BBQ Shrimp. It's tasty simple and reasonably price. Girls enjoy shrimp. Plus it begins to fill her stomach as she'll need to because she will end up ordering a salad for dinner. If you order something she likes she'll be that more impressed by your efforts).

When the menus come allow her to place her order first by insisting she feel free to order whatever she desires and encourage her to take her time, no rushing you said she's pretty so enjoy the scenery. They never order steak so it wont be expensive. Bet she orders the Wedge Salad.**never appear to be looking at any prices! Big turnoff*** You then follow up by ordering a small steak or something similar because you'll have already viewed the menu b4 hand. The Pork Chop runs about $28 and is easy to cut as well as eat slowly in smaller chunks. Women like men who are decisive and know what they want! You're not hungry so your meal will not be expensive nor large so you have time to actually talk to her instead of chewing chucks of meat! You know Toby Keith wrote that song "I wanted talk about me" for a reason. Southern Ladies will never admit it but they do want to talk about themselves and they want you to be overwhelmingly interested in them, so talk to her about her! Don't brag about yourself cause you can get into your own pants anytime you like, her's is a different story especially if she has some class about herself.

How you end the dinner and before you have the car brought around will determine where your future lays with this young lady. After the table is clear, order coffee even if you hate the stuff, ladies love coffee and ordering it as if you just always do so after meals will tell her you're totally different than any other guy she's dated. If you cant drink the stuff just sip it. She'll drink it! Don't ask if she would like some just order it!!!!

About half way thru the cup of coffee sit up all excited and ask her if she's ever had Creme Brulee and insist she try it......most young ladies havent and it'll be a treat for her and show her you're adventurous.

Now if the evening has progress like you hoped in other words she is enjoying your company and you hers, then order one Brulee with two spoons! Again, encourage her to try it first, wait for her reaction then laughing dip your spoon in. Her reaction afterwards will tell you all you need to know about how she is now feeling about you. If shes offended you put your spoon in her Brulee, then you're in trouble and this date just got panic 911!

Again, if she's into you you'll know it by now, so remember to stay relaxed and not in a rush. Let her enjoy being the Princess as long as possible.

When all is ready request the check. A good waiter never brings it, they wait until you request it. And please make sure the **** card works before you get to the restaurant! Never pay with cash - that yells, broke & I still live with my Mom! Even if you do you don't want to admit it.

Finally, assuming all has gone well, just before handing your car ticket to the valet, ask her if she's ever seen the State House at night. Don't wait for an answer just take her hand and walk her over. Taking your time walk her around the entire building pointing out where Sherman's troups hit the building with their cannons. Front right corner where the stars mark the spots. This tells her you're smart and interesting. Then find a lighted area to sit and talk. Sit next to her and if it's chilly take your coat off (you are wearing a sports coat right? Blazer w/pressed jeans and nice white cotton button down colar shirt, no golf shirts or tee shirts with **** blasting out) and place it over her shoulders without asking. What you're hoping/looking for is her sneaking a smell and smiling, if she does you're in the red zone! What you do from here is your business but she'll never forget you and even if it doesn't work out between you two, 2 things will happen in the future. 1) she'll never forget you and will compare every other guy to you. 2) she'll tell all of her girl friends how nice and wonderful your date was and every single one of them will be wanting to date YOU!

All this impressing will cost you around $150-200! Oh and dont forget to drive the Focus, Pinto, Clunker, SUV or even Red neck deer hunting truck through a car wash and yes pay the extra $5 for the interior cleaning with the Baby Fresh smelling stuff! She might live in Redneckville, I have family there as well, but for once she'd love not to be treated like she's Gretchen Wilson's baby sister and instead appreciated for just being an intelligent, beautiful young lady. Treat her right, get to know her then take her out on that four wheeler and your muddy girl dreams will come true!

Don't screw this up!”

Edited for easier reading

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

Yo umooner bro, I’ll be honest I didn’t read it all, but I was had when I read bbq shrimp.

My advice for a first date is to make the chick a chili dog and tots. If she comes back then take her to a nice steakhouse.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Yo umooner bro, I’ll be honest I didn’t read it all, but I was had when I read bbq shrimp.

My advice for a first date is to make the chick a chili dog and tots. If she comes back then take her to a nice steakhouse.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way too much for first date. Try Chili’s for fajitas and presidentes if that goes well then next time hit RC

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way too over the top. Putting that much effort and money in is going to create too much tension in both parties and is going to make it even worse if it doesn't work out. And I say this as a guy who's been known to go all out to impress a lady from time to time.

Actually whole premise is flawed because the guy is assuming this ain't some cheap girl who's going to put out on the first date so why wouldn't you save the nice dinner and such for a later date once you see if you have a shot with her?

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And the "chicks like shrimp and will be impressed if you order coffee" stuff? Maybe in South Carolina....lol

As an aside, I'm sure we've all seen in movies/tv or read stuff claiming that ordering for a girl is some hidden power play or something that excites them, but I think that's kinda laughable. I've never tried and feel like it would be weird. Never stopped me from closing the deal as far as i know lol.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

Too much to the advice. This reads like it’s an Encyclopedia!!!

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

Best dating advice I ever heard.1. Look her in the eyes when you are talking to her and tell her the truth. 2. Make her laugh. Sad but true women especially attractive women vaule the truth , as they so rarely hear it from the males around them. As for laughter when a woman is laughing with you, you are both on the same wavelength.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

@scooterdawg said:
    Way too over the top. Putting that much effort and money in is going to create too much tension in both parties and is going to make it even worse if it doesn't work out. And I say this as a guy who's been known to go all out to impress a lady from time to time.

Actually whole premise is flawed because the guy is assuming this ain't some cheap girl who's going to put out on the first date so why wouldn't you save the nice dinner and such for a later date once you see if you have a shot with her?

Agree. It sets up a negative avoidance goal - not screwing up - which produces anxiety. Bad mojo.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd have to know who I'm dealing with. A steakhouse would make sense for some, a movie and pizza for others.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

Thanks @umooner I haven't cringed this hard in a while.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lets get the opinion of our in house lady dawgs on this. But I'd say that's kinda creepy. Doesn't seem very organic.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

@Acrum21 said:
    Lets get the opinion of our in house lady dawgs on this. But I'd say that's kinda creepy. Doesn't seem very organic.

This feels like a good game plan if you are trying to score right away with a very impressionable young lady. Anything even remotely serious will see through this fairly quickly.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    Good

Wait I voted before I realized this was for a first date. This reads like a manual for socially awkward individuals

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019
    Bad

"...ask her if she's ever seen the State House at night. Don't wait for an answer just take her hand and walk her over. Taking your time walk her around the entire building ...."

How a "date" becomes an "abduction". 😂

Edit:
    Also, it depends on circumstances and what the guy's longer term intentions are. It could be asking the girl to have coffee is enough. That is not much of a "date", but if the guy is at the stage of wanting a serious relationship, it could be more than enough.

True confessions: I did something similar, but not as calculated, with a young lady, and none of it made any difference. I knew the chances were slim there would be any connection, but I tried that approach. Learned a lesson. Someone said that a woman knows within seconds if she will sleep with you. Sleeping with you might not be your immediate goal and "flips" can happen, but a fancy meal is not likely to make a diff.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019
    Good

I voted good because it was so over the top and phony romantic and st u pid sounding, but also because it sounded sweet and wonderful in a life-is-a-movie way.

In real life, be truthful and real and try to be as thoughtful and considerate as you are capable of. The goal is to find out if you like her and to let her find out if she likes you (the real her and the real you) and to show her you're trying to be the kind of man you hope she's looking for, a good man.

Unless of course you're just being a player.

Go, Dawgs!

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a psycho