Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who are your favorite Down Voters?

13»

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:
    I can't imagine going through and counting those votes

I do have a few people who downvote almost everything I say. They are the type of people who cannot compartmentalize.

I know a few people on here take their votes very seriously. One guy wrote a long paragraph to me about how much the votes mattered to him, how proud he was of his upvote to downvote ratio, and that people should put more thought into the votes they hand out.

Now that's funny. It didn't take any time. 5-10 minutes maybe. The idea for the post came before the counting. It started with wondering how many times WC had downvoted me, because he is always trying to claim he is the victim. In doing that I noticed some of the same names over and over. We went to a black tie event on Saturday night with an open bar. I forget how many Woodford Reserves on the rocks I had, but I was feeling them lying on the couch Sunday morning so there literally wasn't much else for me to do. I do find it interesting that there really is a very small handful of people who dole out DVs. If you think about the number of people who frequent the board, and then look at how small the list of people who have DV just 5 times, and then from there to see that the number over 10 DVs is only 5 people among the thousands who view the board....well, draw your own conclusions.

What is more pathetic is the lack of UVs. Some put a lot into making a infotaining comment. And for that they may get ZERO UVs *. So, most of the mass that chooses not to vote at all, that is their decision - be lumps with no affect. For me, and other high character folks like me, I want commenters to know that their comments registered, for good or ill. But that is just me (and other HIGH character folks like me). /* But for me and other HIGH character folks like me. 😉

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:
    I would be willing to bet a lot of the single DV's people receive are by mistake, while using a touchscreen cell phone. Some of the comments that receive a DV are hard to figure, but there are a few posters who just like to hand out DVs. @judasdurant has downvoted me 17 times, which I think probably has to do with age more than anything. I've read @georgiaboy likes to give out DVs, and apparently there is some truth to the rumor. He has downvoted me 19 times. 4th most on the forum.

Next on the list is @FirePlugDawg . Dude also has a heavy DV finger. 22 times, although I will add he will also give out the UVs. That's good for 3rd most against me, ranking only behind the loudest breather on the forum, @BigDawgEatin with 24 DVs, and the Prince of Personality - @WCDawg , who has now DV'd me the most times at 33, as of this posting, and likely soon to grow. I guess I disagree with him a lot.

Honorable mention: @umooner with 8 DVs, @BoroDawg with 9 DVs, @Pigeons with 6, @levander with 6, @MeR3htid with 5, @YaleDawg with 5, and coach @nycdawg with 5.

Even @Kasey downvoted me once. He's hard to upset so I must've really dropped a doosie.

As for what type of post will get DV'd to oblivion: Going against liberals in a political discussion will get you more DVs than almost anything. Saying something unpopular about a player, such as saying you don't respect a decision to sit out a bowl, will also bring the DVs in bulk. I've found not going with the PC crowd, such as when Urban Meyer was suspended, will also get the DVers out in force.

I try not to DV people. I think it is rude, and I frequently payback the persistent DVers with more DVs than they have given me, so check your DV counts. I'm watching you, FPD. :smiley:

Here, have a 10th. It’s a nice number, and now I’ll be in double digits.

8 + 1 = double digits(10)???

The main point was to have a little fun discussing the type of person who DVs. It’s a message board. I doubt anyone really cares and my sarcasm font is always on, but here’s a little “straight line math” (Is that what WC called it earlier?). .

I dont know much about Georgia Boy because he doesnt really post a lot, and I’ll call FirePlug and Yale statistical outliers. The others - Well, WC and BigDawgEatin are self explanatory. It is also well known that Levander struggles with basic logic and reasoning. Just read his stuff and you’ll see what I mean. Judas is like 20 years old. A true millennial. All of the above are in a grouping that includes the ultimate knuckle dragger - coach @nycdawg. From this sample size we can determine there exists a relationship between down voting and excessive cussing. People who cuss a lot are known to have lower IQs and small vocabularies. 8 + 1 = 10??? You support the thesis. :smile::smiley::wink::blush::neutral:

-The Village Idiot.

Ahh, guess I saw 9 by Borodawg and misread. Well, I just gave you a tenth. For the record, I've upvoted a fair amount of your posts too. Your opinions are just divisive, and you seem to have a lot of "old man yells at cloud" kind of opinions.

Anyway, on another note, I didn't know you were a "high IQ" "good at Math" kind of guy! Maybe, you can help me. . .or maybe @levander can.

f: {1}-->{1}; f(x) = x^2

Do you know if this function can be increasing since its domain and codomain is just a single integer? If so, I would assume it's both injective and surjective, but I'm not positive. Do you know? This is a serious question, as I'm not getting the right answer, and I'm not completely sure why.

F(x) = x^2 is both increasing and decreasing.
    Those were painful days for me. It's been a while, but I'm sure you know that assumptions don't mean anything in math. Test for one to one and then for onto. Then bijection is known rather than assumed.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:
    I can't imagine going through and counting those votes

I do have a few people who downvote almost everything I say. They are the type of people who cannot compartmentalize.

I know a few people on here take their votes very seriously. One guy wrote a long paragraph to me about how much the votes mattered to him, how proud he was of his upvote to downvote ratio, and that people should put more thought into the votes they hand out.

Now that's funny. It didn't take any time. 5-10 minutes maybe. The idea for the post came before the counting. It started with wondering how many times WC had downvoted me, because he is always trying to claim he is the victim. In doing that I noticed some of the same names over and over. We went to a black tie event on Saturday night with an open bar. I forget how many Woodford Reserves on the rocks I had, but I was feeling them lying on the couch Sunday morning so there literally wasn't much else for me to do. I do find it interesting that there really is a very small handful of people who dole out DVs. If you think about the number of people who frequent the board, and then look at how small the list of people who have DV just 5 times, and then from there to see that the number over 10 DVs is only 5 people among the thousands who view the board....well, draw your own conclusions.

What is more pathetic is the lack of UVs. Some put a lot into making a infotaining comment. And for that they may get ZERO UVs *. So, most of the mass that chooses not to vote at all, that is their decision - be lumps with no affect. For me, and other high character folks like me, I want commenters to know that their comments registered, for good or ill. But that is just me (and other HIGH character folks like me). /* But for me and other HIGH character folks like me. 😉

"High character folks" I like it. I also respect your rationale.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

Do you know if this function can be increasing since its domain and codomain is just a single integer? If so, I would assume it's both injective and surjective, but I'm not positive. Do you know? This is a serious question, as I'm not getting the right answer, and I'm not completely sure why.

That's all I've got. And I'm proud of that.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:
    I would be willing to bet a lot of the single DV's people receive are by mistake, while using a touchscreen cell phone. Some of the comments that receive a DV are hard to figure, but there are a few posters who just like to hand out DVs. @judasdurant has downvoted me 17 times, which I think probably has to do with age more than anything. I've read @georgiaboy likes to give out DVs, and apparently there is some truth to the rumor. He has downvoted me 19 times. 4th most on the forum.

Next on the list is @FirePlugDawg . Dude also has a heavy DV finger. 22 times, although I will add he will also give out the UVs. That's good for 3rd most against me, ranking only behind the loudest breather on the forum, @BigDawgEatin with 24 DVs, and the Prince of Personality - @WCDawg , who has now DV'd me the most times at 33, as of this posting, and likely soon to grow. I guess I disagree with him a lot.

Honorable mention: @umooner with 8 DVs, @BoroDawg with 9 DVs, @Pigeons with 6, @levander with 6, @MeR3htid with 5, @YaleDawg with 5, and coach @nycdawg with 5.

Even @Kasey downvoted me once. He's hard to upset so I must've really dropped a doosie.

As for what type of post will get DV'd to oblivion: Going against liberals in a political discussion will get you more DVs than almost anything. Saying something unpopular about a player, such as saying you don't respect a decision to sit out a bowl, will also bring the DVs in bulk. I've found not going with the PC crowd, such as when Urban Meyer was suspended, will also get the DVers out in force.

I try not to DV people. I think it is rude, and I frequently payback the persistent DVers with more DVs than they have given me, so check your DV counts. I'm watching you, FPD. :smiley:

The main point was to have a little fun discussing the type of person who DVs. It’s a message board. I doubt anyone really cares and my sarcasm font is always on, but here’s a little “straight line math” (Is that what WC called it earlier?). .

I dont know much about Georgia Boy because he doesnt really post a lot, and I’ll call FirePlug and Yale statistical outliers. The others - Well, WC and BigDawgEatin are self explanatory. It is also well known that Levander struggles with basic logic and reasoning. Just read his stuff and you’ll see what I mean. Judas is like 20 years old. A true millennial. All of the above are in a grouping that includes the ultimate knuckle dragger - coach @nycdawg. From this sample size we can determine there exists a relationship between down voting and excessive cussing. People who cuss a lot are known to have lower IQs and small vocabularies. 8 + 1 = 10??? You support the thesis. :smile::smiley::wink::blush::neutral:

-The Village Idiot.

Ahh, guess I saw 9 by Borodawg and misread. Well, I just gave you a tenth. For the record, I've upvoted a fair amount of your posts too. Your opinions are just divisive, and you seem to have a lot of "old man yells at cloud" kind of opinions.

Anyway, on another note, I didn't know you were a "high IQ" "good at Math" kind of guy! Maybe, you can help me. . .or maybe @levander can.

Those were painful days for me. It's been a while, but I'm sure you know that assumptions don't mean anything in math. Test for one to one and then for onto. Then bijection is known rather than assumed.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@umooner said:

Very good @Bankwalker! Count me impressed. @JoelSidneyKelly, the part with the {1}’s at the start means that this function takes place on a single point. For the record, this function is indeed bijectice (invective and surjective), and it is also not only increasing and decreasing but also strictly increasing and strictly decreasing.

Also, just so we’re being comprehensive, and no one is being misled, if the function was f: R-->R;f(x) = x^2, R being all real numbers for the domain and codomain, then the graph would look like JSK’s, but the function would not be increasing, decreasing, injective, or surjective.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

-The Village Idiot.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@umooner said:

Very good @Bankwalker! Count me impressed. @JoelSidneyKelly, the part with the {1}’s at the start means that this function takes place on a single point. For the record, this function is indeed bijectice (invective and surjective), and it is also not only increasing and decreasing but also strictly increasing and strictly decreasing.

Also, just so we’re being comprehensive, and no one is being misled, if the function was f: R-->R;f(x) = x^2, R being all real numbers for the domain and codomain, then the graph would look like JSK’s, but the function would not be increasing, decreasing, injective, or surjective.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

-The Village Idiot.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@umooner said:

Come on @YaleDawg, you’re Ivy League. You probably do this ish while drinking your morning coffee.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@umooner said:

@YaleDawg said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

-The Village Idiot.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@umooner said:

Come on @YaleDawg, you’re Ivy League. You probably do this ish while drinking your morning coffee.

I'm no mathematician. Been forever since I took a math course. Everything I do is either biochemistry or biophysics. But I think I do know the answer to this

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

@umooner said:

@Bankwalker said:

-The Village Idiot.

OT - as is the above: Unfamiliar with the notation. The second part reads, the function of x (what happens to x) equal to (when) x is raised to the second power (x is squared). How is the bolded part expressed in words? I imagine from the resultant discussion, it is some limit on the value of x. Never saw the --> or the braces, but didn't do much college math. Plus math terminology seems to change frequently. Need to keep ahead of the pocket/phone calculators, I guess.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

how did I miss this thread? pure gold right here