Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA vs UF

Comments

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Our 2012 squad had Jarvis Jones, Shawn Williams, Aaron Murray, Malcolm Mitchell, pre injury Keith Marshall, Bacarri Rambo, William Witherspoon, Todd Gurley, Arthur Lynch and I could go on quite a bit more but Fla was more talented? Ill trust your research but that is a suprise to me.

2012 Florida had (literally) forty players on their roster that signed with an NFL team. Eighteen Juniors on that team went on to the NFL.

Aside from Spurrier and Meyer Florida hasn't really amounted to much. Dan Mullen is not going to bring Florida back to relevance with his top 15 recruiting classes.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@MeR3htid said:
    Our 2012 squad had Jarvis Jones, Shawn Williams, Aaron Murray, Malcolm Mitchell, pre injury Keith Marshall, Bacarri Rambo, William Witherspoon, Todd Gurley, Arthur Lynch and I could go on quite a bit more but Fla was more talented? Ill trust your research but that is a suprise to me.

2012 Florida had (literally) forty players on their roster that signed with an NFL team. Eighteen Juniors on that team went on to the NFL.

Aside from Spurrier and Meyer Florida hasn't really amounted to much. Dan Mullen is not going to bring Florida back to relevance with his top 15 recruiting classes.

Very much enjoy your posts sir, and 99% of the time I agree with what you post, but I think Mullen is a great coach – don’t care for him much, but he has done a lot with “less” in years past. Think back to last year pre-season… I don’t think anyone would have bought stock that UF would finish top 10 in the final polls. I wouldn’t underestimate his (and his staff’s) ability to field a pretty solid team this year.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@SECFan13 said:

Georgia will have the better talent but has lost to Florida several times in the last 20 years when Georgia was said to be the more talented team.

Old wives tale.
    I think fans forget how dominant Florida was in recruiting during Richt's tenure.Georgia's best class (2006) would have been Florida's sixth best. Between 2002 and 2016 Georgia only had one recruiting class at the 290 mark (247); Florida had six, including the highest rated class in NCAA history (2010).
    About a year and a half ago I researched this claim extensively. I compared rosters for fourteen years (2004-2017). In short, Georgia had the more talented roster four times (2006, 2015, 2016, 2017) and was upset three of those times, but Georgia upset a more talented Florida five times in that time frame.
    It is also worth noting that when Georgia had a talent advantage it was slim; Florida often had a FAR superior roster... until 2017. At that point the talent gap was wider than ever between the two teams and it will be even bigger in 2019.

It was the Goff and Donnan years. Goff out recruited everybody. The thing about Georgia always having better players came from Spurrier because we finished with higher ranked recruiting classes the first 4 years of Goff and after besting us Spurrier would bring it up. Then Donnan also killed it. It’s not a wives’ tale. You just havent gone back far enough.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read here all the clichés about rivalry games. And take no game for granted. Yeah, we have tons more talent but should not overlook UF at all. Even w/ LSU not even being a true rival, that game proved that you can lose on any given blah blah blah. @law_dawg35 is right. UGA better go into it w/ their heads on straight.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem with the Gaytors is they lose almost all of their OL, and we not only return most of ours, but even get some back their injured. Emory is struggling, I've heard he's fighting just to compete with walk-ons so he's no miracle cure. Franks is ok, but not Fromm.
    And don't let that Michigan game fool you, Michigan was missing more starters for that game than we were against Texas. So, that win isn't as great as they gator fanbase like to make it out to be. I see the Gators taking a step back this season. They're recruiting talent, but not like us.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DCochran said:
    The problem with the Gaytors is they lose almost all of their OL, and we not only return most of ours, but even get some back their injured. Emory is struggling, I've heard he's fighting just to compete with walk-ons so he's no miracle cure. Franks is ok, but not Fromm.
    And don't let that Michigan game fool you, Michigan was missing more starters for that game than we were against Texas. So, that win isn't as great as they gator fanbase like to make it out to be. I see the Gators taking a step back this season. They're recruiting talent, but not like us.

Agreed! So far we have 13 top 200 recruits 2019, they have 6. Am waiting for the 247 composite Talent numbers to come out which I hope is end of next week.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Nah I think if Florida is going to make a step back towards Meyer like, we're likely to see it very quickly, as with how things roll with most coaching changes for schools, if there's no 2nd year bump, that's usually not good news.

I've said I doubt it on Mullen taking them back to those times, but I can't lie, on occasion I've had doubt creep in on that of late. As of now my guess for next year would actually lean towards them having a slight bump, but I'm thinking that it ends up like 2012, maybe not as bad as the game we saw that year...they go 11-1 and lose by 10 to Georgia as their only regular season loss, then they suffer a Louisville-esque loss in a bowl. Going forward from there, since Mullen was one of Florida's guys with Meyer, most of their fans will still hold a great deal of hope, but it'll officially be dashed in 2020.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@law_dawg35 said:
    I watch Georgia games during the offseason. It helps ease the pain hahah...Im currently watching Georgia/Florida 2018.

Yall as much as i hate UF this is the game I can see us losing next year if were not careful. Florida played us tough last year, if they had a decent QB it may have been a different game. This is the game that scares me the most.

They may play us tough, but they haven't recruited well enough the past few years to out-talent us as they used to do. The biggest thing CKS has brought to this rivalry, IMO, is that we no longer fear Florida. We don't come into this game anymore just hoping we can keep from being embarrassed and maybe eke out a win every now and then. We come in there now expecting to win, which is what we used to do during the time Dooley was coaching.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia hasn't feared Florida since Jarvis Jones. It was his plays that led to the breakthrough.

2015 and 2016 simply were not good teams, and 2014 had a fatal run defense problem when Georgia wasn't playing clock control.

@UnderDog68 said:

@law_dawg35 said:
    I watch Georgia games during the offseason. It helps ease the pain hahah...Im currently watching Georgia/Florida 2018.

Yall as much as i hate UF this is the game I can see us losing next year if were not careful. Florida played us tough last year, if they had a decent QB it may have been a different game. This is the game that scares me the most.

They may play us tough, but they haven't recruited well enough the past few years to out-talent us as they used to do. The biggest thing CKS has brought to this rivalry, IMO, is that we no longer fear Florida. We don't come into this game anymore just hoping we can keep from being embarrassed and maybe eke out a win every now and then. We come in there now expecting to win, which is what we used to do during the time Dooley was coaching.

Steele is UF#1 recruit for 2019 at #42 in 247. He would rank 7th in UGA class

@SECFan13 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Kirby will be to Florida and Dan Mullen was Spurrier was to us.

Whistling through the graveyard me thinks. You keep forgetting that even with all that talent Kirby is your head coach.

And Kirby is now 3-0 vs. your coach, counting the 2017 Miss. State game.

@Denmen185 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@law_dawg35 said:

Steele is UF#1 recruit for 2019 at #42 in 247. He would rank 7th in UGA class

Blue chip recruiting UGA V UF:

2016 14 v 9
    2017 20 v 11
    2018 22 v 13
    2019 20 v 15

4 year total 66 v 48

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SECFan13 said:

@EricDawgs1 said:
    No worries about Fla. They should be worried about us.we are better and this is one game we'll never have to worry about UGA being ready.win this one and we wilp be in their heads and Mullen on the hot seat

Eric-did you say that with a straight face? Georgia will have the better talent but has lost to Florida several times in the last 20 years when Georgia was said to be the more talented team.

Law Dog is correct in that the game was much closer than the score indicates.

I know you're a Gator fan, but what you say is true. We've come into the Jacksonville showdown with the superior talent on a number of occasions and still come out the loser. That said, I think Kirby has Mullet's number.

edited February 2019

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@SECFan13 said:

@EricDawgs1 said:
    No worries about Fla. They should be worried about us.we are better and this is one game we'll never have to worry about UGA being ready.win this one and we wilp be in their heads and Mullen on the hot seat

Eric-did you say that with a straight face? Georgia will have the better talent but has lost to Florida several times in the last 20 years when Georgia was said to be the more talented team.

We've come into the Jacksonville showdown with the superior talent on a number of occasions and still come out the loser.

We had no killer instinct on occasions when we had a better team but lost. Florida did have it. They had the advantage of believing they would beat us every game....we just came in hoping we could win. There's a lot to be said for having the psychological edge.

Having won the past 2 by a combined score of 78-24, I hope Kirby has exorcised those demons forever.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SECFan13 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Whistling through the graveyard me thinks. You keep forgetting that even with all that talent Kirby is your head coach.

Mullen has never won more than 10 regular season games in his 11 year career. Dan Mullen is 79-49 as a head coach. I seriously dont understand where all of his hype comes from.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SECFan13 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Mullen has never won more than 10 regular season games in his 11 year career. Dan Mullen is 79-49 as a head coach. I seriously dont understand where all of his hype comes from.

You will

@UnderDog68 said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@SECFan13 said:

@EricDawgs1 said:

We've come into the Jacksonville showdown with the superior talent on a number of occasions and still come out the loser.

We had no killer instinct on occasions when we had a better team but lost. Florida did have it. They had the advantage of believing they would beat us every game....we just came in hoping we could win. There's a lot to be said for having the psychological edge.

I think in a lot of those instances you can point to being out coached by either SOS or Urban.

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SECFan13 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I think a lot of the hype around Dan Mullen is due to his superior skills as a sideline dancer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs1SM0BznQ&frags=pl%2Cwn