Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA vs UF

12346

Comments

  • EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @SECFan13 said:

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:
    Mullen will have Better resources at his disposal at Florida than he did at MS state without a doubt, there is a lot of rebuilding that he has to do in order to build depth as well as get the behavior problems out the door going on down there.

    Yes, anything can happen at the worlds largest cocktail party each and every year and in a rivalry game that big I will never count Florida as a “easy game”

    I just don’t see Mullen being the lord and savior of Florida. I see Mullen as a Mark Richt type of coach/record each year. I could be wrong, but I would bet a chic fil a number 1 combo meal that Mullen won’t be Florida’s savior

    Pharm-always good to discuss football with a reasonable and knowledgeable fan. You make excellent points about depth and culture at Florida. Mullen ran into both issues last year and the depth issue will be a problem again this year. I was not in the camp that wanted to hire Mullen but he has proven me wrong. He actually makes adjustments as the game progresses which is something we did not see under Muschamp or McElwain.

    Way too early to tell what Mullen's long term success will be at Florida but he is an upgrade from our two previous coaches.

    Don’t get me wrong, I hate Florida as much as the next Georgia fan but I try to keep a level head when analyzing other programs

    And vice versa but I still love talking football with fans of all schools. Adults can do that without resorting to name calling.

    I concur. I genuinely enjoy the banter with opposing fans, especially those who keep a level head and engage in substantial conversation, present company included. It is interesting to see the perspective of other fan bases and often insightful.

    That said: Mullen ain't all that.

    LOL- fans always see their coaches and players a little better than opponents see them.

    You right bc yall Fla fans are crazy if you think yall will beat Uga this season or next.

  • EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    3rd best in the East

  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla us back to being a 2nd rate program.they miss URBAN and Tebow 😂😂😂

    Haven’t you already said in this thread you don’t think Fla’s been any good since Urban?

    Lot of posts in this thread where you’re basically saying the same thing.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 21,712 mod

    I'll throw my two cents in on Mullen.

    In 2015 when we were looking for a coach to replace Richt, you would hear the name Mullen. I still remember thinking

    "if that's who we are going to get we might as well keep Mark Richt."

    I wanted Tom Herman first and foremost, but Kirby has made me forget all of that. Kirby did inherit less of a mess from Richt than Mullen did from McElwain, but the fact of the matter is Mullen was trying to leave MSU as soon as he got there and none of these bigger programs hired him away

  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

    @SECFan13 said:

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:
    Mullen will have Better resources at his disposal at Florida than he did at MS state without a doubt, there is a lot of rebuilding that he has to do in order to build depth as well as get the behavior problems out the door going on down there.

    Yes, anything can happen at the worlds largest cocktail party each and every year and in a rivalry game that big I will never count Florida as a “easy game”

    I just don’t see Mullen being the lord and savior of Florida. I see Mullen as a Mark Richt type of coach/record each year. I could be wrong, but I would bet a chic fil a number 1 combo meal that Mullen won’t be Florida’s savior

    Pharm-always good to discuss football with a reasonable and knowledgeable fan. You make excellent points about depth and culture at Florida. Mullen ran into both issues last year and the depth issue will be a problem again this year. I was not in the camp that wanted to hire Mullen but he has proven me wrong. He actually makes adjustments as the game progresses which is something we did not see under Muschamp or McElwain.

    Way too early to tell what Mullen's long term success will be at Florida but he is an upgrade from our two previous coaches.

    Don’t get me wrong, I hate Florida as much as the next Georgia fan but I try to keep a level head when analyzing other programs

    And vice versa but I still love talking football with fans of all schools. Adults can do that without resorting to name calling.

    I concur. I genuinely enjoy the banter with opposing fans, especially those who keep a level head and engage in substantial conversation, present company included. It is interesting to see the perspective of other fan bases and often insightful.

    That said: Mullen ain't all that.

    LOL- fans always see their coaches and players a little better than opponents see them.

    Objectively, I do think Mullen is a better coach than most other SEC coaches and a heck of a lot better than Malzahn. Just not at Saban/Bowden/Paterno/Bear levels. Jury is still out on Kirby, but he's done well in his first three years, especially in recruiting.

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 7,940 mod

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @SECFan13 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:
    Mullen will have Better resources at his disposal at Florida than he did at MS state without a doubt, there is a lot of rebuilding that he has to do in order to build depth as well as get the behavior problems out the door going on down there.

    Yes, anything can happen at the worlds largest cocktail party each and every year and in a rivalry game that big I will never count Florida as a “easy game”

    I just don’t see Mullen being the lord and savior of Florida. I see Mullen as a Mark Richt type of coach/record each year. I could be wrong, but I would bet a chic fil a number 1 combo meal that Mullen won’t be Florida’s savior

    Pharm-always good to discuss football with a reasonable and knowledgeable fan. You make excellent points about depth and culture at Florida. Mullen ran into both issues last year and the depth issue will be a problem again this year. I was not in the camp that wanted to hire Mullen but he has proven me wrong. He actually makes adjustments as the game progresses which is something we did not see under Muschamp or McElwain.

    Way too early to tell what Mullen's long term success will be at Florida but he is an upgrade from our two previous coaches.

    Don’t get me wrong, I hate Florida as much as the next Georgia fan but I try to keep a level head when analyzing other programs

    And vice versa but I still love talking football with fans of all schools. Adults can do that without resorting to name calling.

    I concur. I genuinely enjoy the banter with opposing fans, especially those who keep a level head and engage in substantial conversation, present company included. It is interesting to see the perspective of other fan bases and often insightful.

    That said: Mullen ain't all that.

    LOL- fans always see their coaches and players a little better than opponents see them.

    Objectively, I do think Mullen is a better coach than most other SEC coaches and a heck of a lot better than Malzahn. Just not at Saban/Bowden/Paterno/Bear levels. Jury is still out on Kirby, but he's done well in his first three years, especially in recruiting.

    Mullen has a lot to prove. Good coach, yes. Great coach, nothing but a wait and see. His best record in the SEC is 2nd in the West in 14' and tied for 2nd in the East in 18'. The rest were 4th and 5th places in the West. Get them in the SECCG ahead of us, then he will have some respect.

  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    What big time school wanted him b4 Fla? Not one.but he's this great coach lol pls.

    Mullen's name has been thrown around as a possible NFL coach for the last 3 years. Granted, they may not have been "very serious," but he is probably the best SEC HC hire in 2018 - only exception may be Jimbo.

  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @amjadawgs said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    What big time school wanted him b4 Fla? Not one.but he's this great coach lol pls.

    Mullen's name has been thrown around as a possible NFL coach for the last 3 years. Granted, they may not have been "very serious," but he is probably the best SEC HC hire in 2018 - only exception may be Jimbo.

    Second best of a bad bunch is hardly a ringing endorsement :D

  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Denmen185 said:

    @amjadawgs said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    What big time school wanted him b4 Fla? Not one.but he's this great coach lol pls.

    Mullen's name has been thrown around as a possible NFL coach for the last 3 years. Granted, they may not have been "very serious," but he is probably the best SEC HC hire in 2018 - only exception may be Jimbo.

    Second best of a bad bunch is hardly a ringing endorsement :D

    Spoken by a TRUE DGDF! You're ending emoticon seals the deal! Touche sir!

  • EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

  • mmoondawgmmoondawg Posts: 41 ✭✭✭ Junior

    The ‘18 game wasn’t even close guys. UGA dominated that game from start to finish. We could’ve and should’ve at a minimum won that game 48-17. Okay, give them the flea flicker and it’s 48-24. First and foremost does “7” plays from the 1/2 yrd line ring a bell? That was one of the worst goal line play calling in the history of college football. That one turned into 3 instead of 7. Then we had 3 other red zone stalls. 2 FGs and another with zero points. One by a fumble recovery that if I’m remembering correctly started around their 15 yrd line. Play calling was very suspect in this game. Our Dawgs will put another butt whooping on the gayturds again this year. Rest assured on the one!

  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

    Again doubt that too. Think Miami is going to be bad.

    I'm in no way pandering for Florida but the only potential loss I see for them before the Georgia game (without looking up their schedule, which I'm not going to) is LSU. (Kentucky is unlikely to repeat 2018 with the two major players they lost) Very very good chance it's a top 10 matchup again like 2012/2018.

  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @GeorgiaGirl said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

    Again doubt that too. Think Miami is going to be bad.

    I'm in no way pandering for Florida but the only potential loss I see for them before the Georgia game (without looking up their schedule, which I'm not going to) is LSU. (Kentucky is unlikely to repeat 2018 with the two major players they lost) Very very good chance it's a top 10 matchup again like 2012/2018.

    UF's schedule is front loaded. Before the WLOCP they have UT (60/40), Auburn (50/50), @SCar (45/55) in addition to UM (70/30) and @LSU (30/70). I put the over/under for losses going into Jax at 2.5 for them. FWIW I have UGA losses o/u at that time at 0.5

  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    A lot of talk about the OL losses but the defense loses Shuler, Polite, Jefferson and Clark from their DL rotation, Joseph ILB and Gardner-Johnson DB

  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Denmen185 said:

    @GeorgiaGirl said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

    Again doubt that too. Think Miami is going to be bad.

    I'm in no way pandering for Florida but the only potential loss I see for them before the Georgia game (without looking up their schedule, which I'm not going to) is LSU. (Kentucky is unlikely to repeat 2018 with the two major players they lost) Very very good chance it's a top 10 matchup again like 2012/2018.

    UF's schedule is front loaded. Before the WLOCP they have UT (60/40), Auburn (50/50), @SCar (45/55) in addition to UM (70/30) and @LSU (30/70). I put the over/under for losses going into Jax at 2.5 for them. FWIW I have UGA losses o/u at that time at 0.5

    Well I didn't know about the Auburn game.

    I'd still put it as pretty highly likely they're at one loss, two at the absolute max. Given South Carolina's monster of a schedule, I'm honestly not sure they make a bowl in 2019. Imo, they have four guaranteed losses right off the back, and yes, Florida is one of them.

  • bhs11bhs11 Posts: 431 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @DawginSC said:

    @bhs11 said:

    @UnderDog68 said:

    @bhs11 said:

    Put Kirby at Miss St and Mullen at UGA and see what would happen. Mullen hasn't made special teams goofs like kirby did against Bama and LSU that cost his team games. Mullen has been a superior coach. Kirby is an elite recruiter, not so much head coach. Mullen is catching up on the recruiting trail. By next year they will be even there, Can kirby catch up as a head coach?

    Again....whatever helps you sleep better at night. Mullen has nowhere near been a superior coach. Never. If he was, Miss State would have been a hell of a lot better than what they were during his time there, doncha think? If he was so great, a garbage Missouri team would have never prison raped Florida last year, amirite? That doesn't happen to superior coaches or teams. When's the last time Mullen was the head coach of a team that made it to the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen. All coaches make goofs. Saban made one against Clemson just a few weeks ago, and he's a legend.

    People in Dawgnation share that opinion. Most of the rest of the nation does not. You wouldn't trade for Mullen and I wouldn't trade for Kirby. So we are both happy. Kirby has a head start in year 4 vs Mullen in year 2. Kirby inherited a better talent base and gets EVERYTHING he wants at the expense of all other programs (Bama too). Mullen doesn't have that luxury at UF. All sports are important there. Kirby should beat everybody and split with Bama. But I like where UF is headed.

    I don't think you are correctly measuring what "the rest of the nation" thinks in regards to Mullen.

    I understand you question the analysis of what Mullen is from UGA fans now... as you'd expect us to be biased against a UF coach. But UGA fans weren't all that interested in Mullen when they were hiring a replacement for richt (before the anti-UF factor came into play). And coaching rankings before the season were pretty consistent with Smart ahead of Mullen.

    https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-top-25-coaches-in-college-football-119432571/#119432571_16

    Smart #10, Mullen #17.

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2018-season/

    Smart #8, Mullen #13

    https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2018

    Smart #10, Mullen #17

    http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/college-football-coach-rankings-2018-nick-saban-dabo-swinney-urban-meyer-kirby-smart-jim-harbaugh/pw0dkzocij0ozd5nodvbnlj8/slide/9

    Smart #5, Mullen #21

    https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/2017-final-ranking-of-all-130-college-football-head-coaches

    Smart #11, Mullen #23

    Closest one:

    https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/27/the-10-best-coaches-in-college-football-nick-saban-urban-meyer-dabo-swinney/

    Smart #8, Mullen #10

    Most of the rest of the nation does view Smart as a better coach than Mullen. They view the gap as different sizes... but all that I found had Smart ahead of Mullen.

    As for the "UGA doesn't care about other sports" argument... I'm not sure why you think that's true. While UF is in the top 5 of overall sports programs every year... UGA is in the top 15. UGA does put effort into non-football sports. UGA doesn't have as many as UF does, but they win a fair amount of national championships in other sports. UGA is regularly competitive at the national level in swimming, tennis, golf, gymnastics and equestrian. Recently they've been there in track and field too. Fans may not care much, but the university views them as important and funds them well.

    @DawginSC said:

    @bhs11 said:

    @UnderDog68 said:

    @bhs11 said:

    Put Kirby at Miss St and Mullen at UGA and see what would happen. Mullen hasn't made special teams goofs like kirby did against Bama and LSU that cost his team games. Mullen has been a superior coach. Kirby is an elite recruiter, not so much head coach. Mullen is catching up on the recruiting trail. By next year they will be even there, Can kirby catch up as a head coach?

    Again....whatever helps you sleep better at night. Mullen has nowhere near been a superior coach. Never. If he was, Miss State would have been a hell of a lot better than what they were during his time there, doncha think? If he was so great, a garbage Missouri team would have never prison raped Florida last year, amirite? That doesn't happen to superior coaches or teams. When's the last time Mullen was the head coach of a team that made it to the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen. All coaches make goofs. Saban made one against Clemson just a few weeks ago, and he's a legend.

    People in Dawgnation share that opinion. Most of the rest of the nation does not. You wouldn't trade for Mullen and I wouldn't trade for Kirby. So we are both happy. Kirby has a head start in year 4 vs Mullen in year 2. Kirby inherited a better talent base and gets EVERYTHING he wants at the expense of all other programs (Bama too). Mullen doesn't have that luxury at UF. All sports are important there. Kirby should beat everybody and split with Bama. But I like where UF is headed.

    I don't think you are correctly measuring what "the rest of the nation" thinks in regards to Mullen.

    I understand you question the analysis of what Mullen is from UGA fans now... as you'd expect us to be biased against a UF coach. But UGA fans weren't all that interested in Mullen when they were hiring a replacement for richt (before the anti-UF factor came into play). And coaching rankings before the season were pretty consistent with Smart ahead of Mullen.

    https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-top-25-coaches-in-college-football-119432571/#119432571_16

    Smart #10, Mullen #17.

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2018-season/

    Smart #8, Mullen #13

    https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2018

    Smart #10, Mullen #17

    http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/college-football-coach-rankings-2018-nick-saban-dabo-swinney-urban-meyer-kirby-smart-jim-harbaugh/pw0dkzocij0ozd5nodvbnlj8/slide/9

    Smart #5, Mullen #21

    https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/2017-final-ranking-of-all-130-college-football-head-coaches

    Smart #11, Mullen #23

    Closest one:

    https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/27/the-10-best-coaches-in-college-football-nick-saban-urban-meyer-dabo-swinney/

    Smart #8, Mullen #10

    Most of the rest of the nation does view Smart as a better coach than Mullen. They view the gap as different sizes... but all that I found had Smart ahead of Mullen.

    As for the "UGA doesn't care about other sports" argument... I'm not sure why you think that's true. While UF is in the top 5 of overall sports programs every year... UGA is in the top 15. UGA does put effort into non-football sports. UGA doesn't have as many as UF does, but they win a fair amount of national championships in other sports. UGA is regularly competitive at the national level in swimming, tennis, golf, gymnastics and equestrian. Recently they've been there in track and field too. Fans may not care much, but the university views them as important and funds them well.

    @Denmen185 said:
    A lot of talk about the OL losses but the defense loses Shuler, Polite, Jefferson and Clark from their DL rotation, Joseph ILB and Gardner-Johnson DB

    Shuler back

  • EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @GeorgiaGirl said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

    Again doubt that too. Think Miami is going to be bad.

    I'm in no way pandering for Florida but the only potential loss I see for them before the Georgia game (without looking up their schedule, which I'm not going to) is LSU. (Kentucky is unlikely to repeat 2018 with the two major players they lost) Very very good chance it's a top 10 matchup again like 2012/2018.

    Mia wont be that bad.they had bad qb play that cost them 4 games.that defense is going to be a good 1.they qill beat Fla. I have no doubt about it.

  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

    @EricDawgs1 said:

    @GeorgiaGirl said:

    @EricDawgs1 said:
    Fla 3rd best in the East. Mia will beat them in the 1st game

    Again doubt that too. Think Miami is going to be bad.

    I'm in no way pandering for Florida but the only potential loss I see for them before the Georgia game (without looking up their schedule, which I'm not going to) is LSU. (Kentucky is unlikely to repeat 2018 with the two major players they lost) Very very good chance it's a top 10 matchup again like 2012/2018.

    Mia wont be that bad.they had bad qb play that cost them 4 games.that defense is going to be a good 1.they qill beat Fla. I have no doubt about it.

    I hate to break it to you but Manny Diaz's defense is pretty darn overrated. You can squirm around it all you want but Georgia will be playing an at the time 1-2 loss Florida team in Jacksonville. Why is it that I can come to that conclusion easier than some? I hate Florida but I can easily acknowledge that they're likely going to be good again in 2019, unfortunately.

Sign In or Register to comment.