Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Will Anthony Edwards Ever Make It To Campus?

SECFan13SECFan13 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

He may be a 1st round pick in NBA draft.

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@SECFan13

Edited - didn’t know about this new G League rule.

Still think he attends UGA for a Semester, balls out and bails.

• GAFANINTNGAFANINTN Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just heard this morning...not sure how factually accurate it is...the G League is raising the initial salary from $33k to $125k this coming up year. It is also by invitation only. I hope he come does end up on campus but how much will the outside influence plus $125k weigh on him to go to the G League. By his words, he does seem to really respect Coach Crean and loves what he did with his former NBA players who played under him.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@GAFANINTN

Do you get drafted into to the G league ?

• GAFANINTNGAFANINTN Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

From my what I heard this morning, it is by invitation only. So I guess, they formulate a list of players by invitation and then from that, there must be some sort of draft. I was listening to local radio this morning and they just happened to talk briefly about this. Not real in depth so hopefully someone else will have more information.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is interesting. I'm sure he could easily get another high six or low seven figure endorsement deal if he went with the G League. I don't see it happening though.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn't he make more as a top or close to top of the draft choice? By waiting one year?

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s coming to Athens. 100%.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From everything I’m currently reading he is coming to Athens. He has already started recruiting other big time players to come to Athens. That started 3 weeks ago when he decided to be a Dawg.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After playing in the G league he would still be able to be a top draft choice. From the G League website below:

• If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA G League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I woldn't give two hoots if the top prospects started playing G-League instead of attending college, especially if they aren't even going to be on campus long enough to fail out and primarily take classes fogging mirrors.

Count me among those who also doesn't get real amped up about signing football prospects who just barely qualify. The athletics programs are supposed to being prestige to the University of Georgia, not open up embarrassment and ridicule regarding questionable academics.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He can make 125k while he's in Athens.

Then he can go top 5 in 2020 and make millions and get a shoe deal.

I'd go with that option myself

The keyword in “barely qualify” is qualify. Do they qualify or not, that’s all that matters. All SEC schools, maybe minus Vandy, have pretty much the same standards. Goes for most of the rest of the NCAA too.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I missed when the NBA changed the rules again for when players can be eligible for the draft. Although I suppose it's possible, if I was a year away from big money (even bigger than 125k), I don't think the G-league would be that much of an interest for me, I'd just take my 1 year in college, play hard, and then declare.

I do think however, that they're going to tweak the rules again soon, but "soon" probably means more like sometime in 2020 and not in the next few months. I don't think they're going to change it back to high schoolers can go straight to the NBA, but IMO, I think the new option for high school players will be either 2 and done, or go to the G-league for at least one season.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Basketball rule stinks....one and done was the worst thing they could do regarding these young men. Make it a minimum of 3 years like all the other mainstream sports. If they want to be one and done, then let them play at Juco's like baseball players who want to be one and done.

Most of the one and done guys attend classes for one semester. By the 2nd semester, their grades no longer matter. They are already getting loans from potential agents under the table by then.

Just do away with the one and done and let them go straight to the league from high school. Basketball is a lot different from football, as it’s more dangerous for an 18 year old to try to play in the NFL. In basketball, if you’re good enough, you’re good enough no matter your age.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

You can go to the NBA straight from HS already. It doesn’t happen a lot, but it does happen. Their bodies are ready in some cases, but I don’t know many 18 or 19 year-olds ready to hang with the pressures of being a highly paid pro athlete. He1l, I don’t know of many 25-30 year old NBA players who can handle it.

You can’t go straight from high school anymore. It went away right around when Lebron went straight to the league. They have to be one year out of high school, hence the newer term “one and done.”

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They might tweak that rule again though soon, but I just don't think it's going to happen before Edwards enrolls and plays.

Maybe its crazy, but while he's a really good prospect, I don't know if he's ready to play in the league.

If the option was available to him, he’d get a draft evaluation then decide from there I’m sure... also, I was talking more about overall players as well. Players of Lebron’s, Garnett’s, Kobe’s ability shouldn’t have to waste a year in college.