Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Cereal Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is your favorite cereal. I love Grape Nuts but mostly eat oat bran these days. I've provided a little history below for any who might have an interest.

It's also National Roast Crown of Pork Day. Seems like a waste of good pig meat to me.

A Little Cereal History:

** Ferdinand Schumacher, a German immigrant, began the cereal revolution in 1854 with a hand oats grinder in the back room of a small store in Akron, Ohio. His German Mills American Oatmeal Company was the nation’s first commercial oatmeal manufacturer. In 1877, Schumacher adopted the Quaker symbol, the first registered trademark for a breakfast cereal.

** Granula, the first breakfast cereal, was invented in the United States in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson, operator of Our Home on the Hillside, which was later replaced by the Jackson Sanatorium in Dansville, New York. The cereal never became popular since it was inconvenient as the heavy bran nuggets needed soaking overnight before they were tender enough to eat.

** The cereal industry rose from a combination of sincere religious beliefs and commercial interest in health foods. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg experimented with granola. He boiled some wheat, rolled it into thin films, and baked the resulting flakes in the oven; he acquired a patent in 1891. In 1895 he launched Cornflakes, which overnight captured a national market.

** In 1906, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg’s brother, William K. Kellogg, after working for John, broke away, bought the corn flakes rights from his brother and set up the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company. His signature on every package became the company trademark and insurance of quality.

** Charles W. Post introduced Grape-nuts in 1898 and soon followed with Post Toasties.

** Because of Kellogg and Post, the city of Battle Creek, Michigan is nicknamed the “Cereal Capital of the World.”

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Cocoa Puffs is my all time favorite

honey smacks/super golden crisp also great.

The monster cereals are fantastic

i like all the ones you shouldn’t eat

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quaker Oatmeal Squares

Honey Nut Cheerios

Frosted Mini Wheats

Raisin Brand Crunch (it MUST be Crunch)

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never had a taste for kids' cereals. I do love me some whole grains with fruit and nuts though. I think eating whole foods is the key to healthy digestion, plus it's yummy.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quarry. "It's not grown, it's mined."

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cinnamon Life, but I don't eat much cereal. Baby Carrots and a V8 energy is my typical breakfast.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't eat much cereal now. Grew up on Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Chex. Parents wouldn't buy the more sugary kinds of cereals. But when we'd visit my grandparents they always had those variety packages of single serve boxes which included stuff like Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs. That was awesome.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a fan of cereal. Not sure the last time I had any. My son is 9 and not sure he has ever had cereal. We eat eggs for breakfast, sometimes w/ grits. Quick and easy on school mornings

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

rowing up was mostly Cheerios, but also oatmeal with milk, GrapeNuts (treat!), and various corn flakes.

Today, typical breakfst is (layered): Cheerios, dried fruit (raisons, Craisins), banana, blue/black berries or both, topped with rice crispys knockoff. Cinnamon liberally added on each layer, along with ground ginger on the bananas. Golden flax seed meal added. Nuke for about 1.5 minutes. Serve. (No milk) Get fruit, grains (+/-), gluten free, omega 3s, but likely too much sugar.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Love some Grape Nuts, ate Capn' Crunch and Post Toasties corn flakes as a kid and teenager. My buddy and I would come in after enjoying some of the " crop" from our "garden" and kill a whole box of toasties. Country boys, we were easily amused.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Frosted Flakes with banana slices but here lately it’s Special K with the yogurt chunks added in the box.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

when I eat cereal, it’s either Raisin Bran crunch or honey bunch of oats. I prefer eggs, toast, grits and some kind of meat, but I don’t always have the time to make it

Here lately, the wife has said I need to eat better. My fault for making my New Years resolution known to her haha

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fruit Loops and Frosted Flakes. Dont eat much cereal anymore. After reading about the South Beach diet, I get hungry in about 30 min after a meal without protein. Crazy thing is I didnt before I read the book.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Only time I eat cereal now is when it's a treat. I find myself only buying milk when I'm buying cereal and then trying to eat all the cereal in one sitting. Needless to say, this is a 1-2 time a year hobby

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
  • greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fruity Pebbles is hard to beat. Lucky Charms, Boo Berry, Honey Smacks, Reeces, and Frosted Flakes. My grocery buggy looks like it would have been filled by a ten-year-old.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any food product that uses a mascot to entice children is the work of Azeezus. Cereal is bad for you. Not only will Captain Crunch absolutely jack the roof of your mouth up, the milk we consume isnt good for us, either. The combination leads to diabetes, heart disease, and flatulence. It’s not because we’re the smartest that humans are the only species that consumes milk as an adult (what you give your cat doesnt count). It’s because we are gluttonous that we consume milk and ice cream. Remember this the next time you pour a bowl of cereal with milk. Cows should be either worshipped or eaten, not suckled for their juicy nectar.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Milk is not good for cats, either. Need milk for some cooked dishes.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drink a small glass almost every nite before bed. That's probably not the only thing that I do that some scientific study says is bad for me though.