Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I want Virginia's DeAndre Hunter to be one of The Hawks' 1st rd picks...

2»

Comments

• Options
    IwantMekhailIwantMekhail Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Perfect offseason for me goes like

trading the 4th 6th and Alex Len for 1st or 2nd pic and take one of the duke stars.

offer Thompson a max and no trade claus and hope he signs.

Sign a good center that can space the floor and knock down threes consitently

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's worth noting Golden State finished 67-15 and won The 2015 championship without Durant. All of their star players were drafted by GS and none were taken higher than 6th in their draft.

If The Hawks can add Barrett and/or Hunter, the ingredients for a contender might be in place by 2020.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this team has a real chance to contend soon with a little luck and no more Josh Smith or Marvin Williams type pics.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Given how many needs the Hawks have if you had 4 and 6 would you trade both and a primary rotation piece to move up to 2?

• Options
    IwantMekhailIwantMekhail Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

say if Phoenix get # 1 and take any one besides Zion, then yes I would make that trade imagine a starting five of

trae young

klay Thompson

zion

john collins

athletic big man

• Options
    edited March 2019

Zion will go first unless a serious health concern arises before the draft. Would I trade 4th and 6th for the opportunity to draft Barrett ?..probably not, but I'm open to re-evaluating the idea by draft day.

If any player challenges a healthy Zion Williams for the #1 spot it will be Murray St PG Ja Morant. That kid looks special.

• Options
    mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If LeBron signed with them, they wouldn’t have been able to trade for Butler & Harris. They probably could’ve trades for Harris but would’ve had to get rid of Redick.

CP3-Harden-LeBron-PJ-Capela surrounds LeBron with 3 plus outside shooters.

Simmons-Redick-LeBron-?-Embiid or Simmons-?-LeBron-Harris-Embiid surrounds him with 1.

• Options

Outside of this year, Harden’s usage rate has been right around the 29 to 31 that Kyrie’s was when he played with LeBron. CP3’s has been down since he was on the Clippers. They could make it work and the team fits LeBron a lot better than Philly. According to your logic, GS wasn’t the best fit for KD/Cousins.

• Options
    edited March 2019

mantis. I think a Harden-Lebron pairing would be likely to implode. Harden probably wouldn't take a backseat to anybody lying down and it seems obvious Lebron has always been THE team leader.

Personally I think Philly would have the best record in The league if Lebron had signed with them and the odds on favorite to win it all.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Mantis. Philly's payroll with both Butler and Harris is just 112.8 million. Harris and Butler make about the same between them as Lebron makes. So lets say Lebron signed with Philly and their payroll was 113 million. That leaves lots of room to add talent around him. So Lebron, Embiid, Simmons and Riddick, plus whoever they would have picked up.

It gets better next year. Minus Butler's salary next season Philly would be on the hook for just 47 million. Add in Lebron's salary and they'd be up to just 86 million with Lebron, Simmons and Embiid as the nucleus. That would leave at least 60 million to add talent, some no doubt would be shooters.

Houston is on the hook for 120.5 million next year. With Lebron they'd have the highest payroll in the league if they didn't add anybody else.

• Options

Philly was over the salary cap going into the 2018 offseason when LeBron was a free agent. LeBron isn’t a free agent now and won’t be a free agent after the season, so I don’t see why you are speaking as if he was. Seeing as they were over the salary cap and they did not have Lebron’s bird rights, they would have had to do a sign and trade w Cleveland. After that sign and trade, they would have been minus assets and still over the cap thus making it hard to add talent around him. Also, $113m is approximately $12 million over the soft cap, so you essentially have no idea what you’re talking about.

Also, Harden is on record saying he’d like to play with Lebron, I don’t think there’s anything pointing to Harden being a diva and he did play behind Durant and Westbrook for some time. So saying they couldn’t make it work doesn’t make much sense unless you want to make up something else to back it up.

• Options
    edited March 2019

mantis. Philly's payroll was just 84 million in the 2017/2018 season. I'm not sure what you're looking at. Philly was near the top of the list of teams who were thought to be able to afford Lebron.

Your argument seems even more ridiculous when you consider Houston's financial situation was far worse in reality. Just 4 players on The Rockets roster, Harden, Paul, Capela and Gordon ate up over 95 million in cap space.

• Options

They resigned a slew of there players before free agency opened up. They were above the cap when it did open up. Houston would have to give up assets in a side and trade just like the philly hypothetical, but they had moveable contracts on their bench. They couldve kept Harden, CP3, PJ, and Capela and still add Lebron. Surrounding him with the reigning MVP, an elite point guard, a capable 3&D forward, and a talented young center creates a nucleus that fits his style of play better than surrounding him with JJ Redick and 3 guys that aren’t factors off the ball.

• Options
    edited March 2019

mantis,If by ''they re-signed a slew of players'' you mean Philly, I'd have to see where you're correct. That was not the narrative at the time and I don't find anything to substantiate your claims. I've looked at both their 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 payrolls. That plus articles from that period suggests to me Philly was in far better shape than Houston to take on Lebron's contract. Again, Houston had 95 million committed to just 4 players.

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hunter officially announced he is declaring for the Draft and he is trending to Atlanta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwSdYDpAIEw/

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's make it happen @Columbo!!!