Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I'm strongly considering moving to Costa Rica...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That slaines it senorlorenzo. I'll send you my email at the address you last posted.

• Options
    LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2019

WC - I’ve not been to CR but my boss has a mountain home in Nicarauga and loves it. I’ve done some business in Panama and that seems like a good place to consider. I’ve done business in Mexico, Venezuela and Brazil and although beautiful, I doubt I’d go back. It is true that those that have the money separate themselves with big walls and armed guards. Kidnapping is rampant. I’m sure CR is safer than those countries.

• Options
    senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thx, ghost, I’m still learning how the forum works. If I understand correctly that you can fix it on your end, please do. Thx again.

• Options
    edited March 2019

LincolnPark. I'm waiting on a reply from a realtor concerning an apartment in a small mountain town in Nicaragua just 30 miles from the C.R. border. It's loaded with expats and locals. It's clearly a nice place, but it's a long way from a town large enough to carry more than necessities. One negative to many Nicaraguan towns is the custom of driving through the streets blaring advertisements over load speakers, each trying to be louder than the others.

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Costa Rica's health care system is a definite strength and given what you shared that may be a pretty compelling reason in its favor. Not to mention paradise tends to look good on everybody.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have you visited?

I have a friend who went on vacation and bought a shop/cafe, met a girl after moving there, and now they have a child. He already spoke spanish.

I have another friend who was partners with a guy in the mountains on a bar. Both Americans and the partner lived there fulltime.

Neither have ever mentioned safety issues, but Im sure they exist - same if you walk around in neighborhoods here at night with high percentages of non-voters.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I realize why you'd say that lol, I'm more referring to the ability to watch live US sports, I go to Canada and suddenly none of my sports streaming apps work, be a problem for me to move somewhere and then have to watch the Dawgs on YouTube, days after they'd played. Was just curious..

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CR is home to the vast majority of offshore sports betting sites. In fact one of the more famous heads was violently murdered...RIP Tony from 5Dimes. He was kidnapped and held for ransom.

When he was questioned on his service to a customer, his famous response was "service? I am not here to provide a service. If you want service, then go to a car garage or a **** house."

A Country with beautiful women, gambling, great scuba diving, etc is not a hard sell. And being 62, you should not have to worry about being smuggled into the sex trade. I say go for it.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I say go for it. I've been there twice fishing with friends. We loved it. If you don't have anything keeping you in the USA, do it. No regrets. You can always come home.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I got a buddy getting ready to move there later this year.he said it was just a better life there with non of the political bs we have here in the U.S.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s pros and cons for sure but at the end of the day.... you’re considering it; strongly enough to post.

I think it’s worth a few months down there before making “permanent” decisions. At the end of the day, you can just come back home if it no longer suits your needs.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2019

You're one of many that feel that way. I was trying to be nice. I live in a glass house, so no stones thrown from here.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I thought the Obamacare premium credits got the poorest 35% their much needed health insurance. I was told that’s why my premiums and deductibles skyrocketed - to help pay for the deadbeats who needed insurance.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Bank. The truth is health care costs have increased at a fast rate for over 40 years, and they will continue to do so as long as the system is corporate without checks on those increases.

Anybody who has owned and/or traded stocks should understand exactly why it is built into the current structure.

Publicly traded companies are legally bound to work in the interests of shareholders and what is in shareholders' interest is to have their share value increase. If you've ever studied what makes share prices go up it's twofold...1. have a good current financial report and 2. project GROWTH !

The solution isn't to move the parts around like The Affordable Care Act did, it's to change the structure. We see the solution in privately owned utility companies. The rates they charge have to be set by the government, so how to make their stock attractive to investors ?......DIVIDENDS. Conservative ( often older) investors who are already well off want to protect their wealth while still getting a good return. If a person puts 100 million into a rock solid dividend stock and gets a 5% annual return, that's 5 million a year with little to no risk.

The trouble is it's not cool enough for the Ocasio Cortez crowd and not ''free market'' enough for the far right. What it is though, it's the way to get cost under control without completely taking over the industry.

• Options

A few of you like to think you're representative of something, you're not.

What you are is a few oddballs who can't hold their own in debates and/or be interesting enough to get attention, so you focus your bitterness in odd ways, like on me.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been there 3 times for business and pleasure. It's a remarkably beautiful country, and Tico's are awesome people. Because you're a Gringo, you'll pay double what the natives do to visit national parks. CR is not the bargain it once was, so your dollar will not stretch as far.

I'd reach out to senorlorenzo to get the inside scoop from someone that lives there. I would not recommend living in San Jose due to crime and traffic issues. If you're going to test the waters for six months make sure you checkout the local healthcare situation, hospital, doctors etc.

• Options

RayGoof. They have wifi in Costa Rica, I'll still post, that might be beyond your level of comprehension.

• Options
    Gwinnett_DawgGwinnett_Dawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love the Tamarindo area but the secret is out and CR has become much more expensive to retire to and live comfortably... we are checking out the next best thing- Ecuador.